Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Wow! (non-word-related post) - 10/01/06 01:28 AM
I have come from a...concert of sorts...at my church, and I just had to share about it. We have some members and regular visitors who are refugees from a couple of African countries. Some of them decided to organize a get-together where they could sing the way they're used to; I know our style is not lively enough for them, to say nothing of the language barrier for some.

To my surprise, they had invited other refugee or immigrant nationalities as well. We heard singing from Liberians, Congolese, Sudanese, and some Spanish-speaking folks...and then: six women walked in like they owned the place. Not with a look-at-me attitude, but with unconscious and graceful "presence". Against their dark brown skin, their patterned turquoise skirts, light turquoise saris, snow-white head and neck bands looked fantastic, and they were barefoot. They looked like queens, with their hair done just so and their heads held high. They were Rwandans, and proceeded to do a dance representing Queen Esther honoring her king. I was amazed, and couldn't help thinking that in other venues people would pay a lot of money to see that.
I couldn't stay to the end--the speakers were too loud for me (that is, I don't know the nationality)--but the last song on the program was listed as:
Nkolo Nzambe, Alleluia Jesus, commando wanyi, Celui qui est dans moi, Masiya akumama.
Posted By: consuelo Re: Wow! (non-word-related post) - 10/01/06 12:27 PM
I would have loved to have been there. We were at a wedding a couple of months ago and witnessed Plena Y Bomba done by a professional group. The tradition is that the party isn't over until the last drum goes silent. We didn't get home until 4am.
Posted By: Zed Re: Wow! (non-word-related post) - 10/03/06 07:00 PM
Sounds wonderful. Let me know if they plan another one.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Wow! (non-word-related post) - 10/03/06 07:33 PM
Ooo, if you like that, you should come up (sideways ) to Laval/Montréal during our World Choir Festival. They have choirs from all over the world singing in a tremendous variety of voices and styles.

If you're interested, I can look up the info.
Posted By: Jackie Story and picture in our paper today - 11/10/06 03:00 PM
Malaika
© Wordsmith.org