Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Speaking of irony - 09/26/06 12:07 PM
An MSN article about travel caught my eye earlier today. It mentions, among other things, that there is now a program, albeit largely symbolic, where by making a donation, you can "offset" the impact of your flight on the environment. It also says The Dave Matthews Band, too, has decided to offset the carbon emissions caused by its tours going back to 1991. There is no mention of the fact that this is the group that dumped its raw sewage into the Chicago River.
Posted By: Aramis Re: Speaking of irony - 09/26/06 07:24 PM
Besides fares being loaded with taxes and fees, A. will claim as offset, not driving for a week [save twice on one day in an airy, bucolic setting]. Maybe a week-long fast would enable that band to cover that other thing.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Speaking of irony - 09/26/06 08:41 PM
> this is the group that dumped its raw sewage into the Chicago River

what's this about, Jackie? I love the DMB.
Posted By: Zed Re: Speaking of irony - 09/26/06 10:51 PM
And how exactly does a donation "offset" the ecological impact? If enough people pay the airline exec. will ride a bike to work???
Posted By: Jackie Re: Speaking of irony - 09/27/06 12:03 PM
Zed, the article didn't say...of curse. (Ack--that was a typo, but I think I'll leave it.)

Eta--here:
lawsuit
They either pleaded or were found guilty.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Speaking of irony - 09/27/06 12:47 PM
thanks, Jackie. bizarre.
Posted By: Bingley Re: Speaking of irony - 10/02/06 01:52 AM
As far as I can see from the article, it was the driver of the group's bus, not the group members themselves. It doesn't say that they asked him to do it or if he did it deliberately or just hit the wrong switch.
© Wordsmith.org