Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Hydra Latin pronunciation - 08/12/06 11:43 AM
Flectere si nequeo superos Acheronta movebo
['If I cannot bend the Higher Powers, I will move the Infernal Regions']
—Line 312, Book 7 of Virgil's Aeneid.

Can anyone take a shot at transliterating the pronunciation of this line?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Latin pronunciation - 08/12/06 02:33 PM
Flectere si nequeo superos Acheronta movebo.

There are many different pronunciations of Latin, but I'll take a stab at it in the one which I learned (the reconstructed classical). Since the new board software does not seem to like Unicode much, I'll use something like SAMPA for the transliteration:

/'flEktErE si 'nEkwEo 'supEros a'kEronta mo'webo/

' indicates stress on syllable which follows
E is liek the e in set
Posted By: Jackie Re: Latin pronunciation - 08/12/06 11:16 PM
Hmm--interesting. When singing the Requiem, we were told to sing miserere, for ex., as mee-zay-ray-ray; so I somehow thought pretty much all* es in Latin were pronounced with the long a sound. Perhaps what we were told was just for singing, where pronunciation in English can also differ from the spoken word.

*Well, so much for that: I just remembered we sang both es in Requiem as ehs!

Are there any silent letters in Latin?
Posted By: Hydra Re: Latin pronunciation - 08/13/06 01:55 AM
Quote:

/'flEktErE si 'nEkwEo 'supEros a'kEronta mo'webo/

Thank you.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Latin pronunciation - 08/13/06 12:04 PM
Quote:

I haven't heard any.

Seriously, for some directors, the initial H is never pronounced.

As to the pronunciation of vowels, if we ever sang an e as "eh" we would get a gentle chewing out by our director. What Nuncle gave us was Classical Latin pronunciation as normally taught these days. What you sang in church was ecclesiastical Latin, and probably Italinate ecclesiastical Latin. Quite a different beast from Classical.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Latin pronunciation - 08/13/06 02:50 PM

Well, according to some historical phonologists, W S Allen is perhaps the most accessible, the final s in most words had ceased to be pronounced in the late Republic. Final m was probably just a hint of nasalization on the vowel it followed amd finally disappeared some time before Silver Latin (say the Fall of Rome).

Latin distinguished the quality of vowels, i.e., between long and short vowels. For instance, all those metrical terms we learn in poetry class, anapest et al., were based on vowel quantity and not on stress (as they are in English today). The stress of a Latin word was dependent on these vowel qualities, too. Stress is usually on the ante-penultimate unless the penultimate is long. In the early version of the Classical pronunciation which I learned, long e was pronounced /e/ and short e was pronounced /E/; same with long and short i, /i/ and /I/. This is what happened later in the Romance languages that are descended from Latin. Though some of the long vowels became diphthongs when stressed: e.g., Italian buono, Spanish bueno from Latin bonus. What many speakers (and some singers) of English do that is right out no matter whether pronouncing classically or ecclesiastically is to use the modern-day English diphthongs (our so-called long vowels), e.g., /ej/ for e, /ow/ for o.
Posted By: Hydra Re: Latin pronunciation - 08/14/06 12:48 AM
Quote:

mo'webo/ movebo.

mo and bo.

Is that the o in moan or moon?

In other words MOO-we-BOO (rhymes with shoe) or MO-we-BO (rhymes with go) ?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Latin pronunciation - 08/14/06 09:53 AM
That's Moe like in Larry, Moe, and Curly.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Latin pronunciation - 08/14/06 03:27 PM
Well, it was college choir, but no prob.

Classical Latin, ecclesiastical Latin, Italinate ecclesiastical Latin, and Silver Latin. Holy cow--I never realized there were so many different Latins! Oh yes...vulgate, too, or was it vulgar.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Latin pronunciation - 08/14/06 04:17 PM
Quote:

... or was it vulgar.

We have a 272-page book called 'The Latin Sexual Vocabulary', by one J.N. Adams. I ain't sayin, I'm just sayin.
Posted By: TEd Remington apropos of nothing - 08/14/06 07:32 PM
Few people know that young kangaroos have been joining offshoot religious groups, to such an extent that there is now a scholarly tome about the subject:

The Sects of Joeys.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: apropos of nothing - 08/15/06 12:49 PM
TEd: heh.

we say "eh".
© Wordsmith.org