Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Logwood What are some funny animals? - 07/15/06 04:17 PM
Well, I could use your idea of some funny animals as I'm writing a novel.

Monkeys, ducks, parrots, hampsters, chickens, turtles... I don't know why, but they strike me as funny animals. If anyone willing to contribute to my list that would great.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/15/06 04:23 PM
I think any baby animals are funny!

Have a look at this, Logwood, it might inspire you: http://www.cuteoverload.com/

Edit: oh, and flamingos, if course
Posted By: Logwood Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/15/06 04:27 PM
Page's giving me some odd IE error, but thanks.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/15/06 05:01 PM
Platypuses and ostriches.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/15/06 10:21 PM
I think porcupines are cute.

----

EDIT: Gotta add though, they don't smell very nice.
Posted By: Logwood Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/16/06 05:00 PM
I'm looking for the name of a parrot-like bird with a large beak, anyone got a clue?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/16/06 05:47 PM
Tucan?
Posted By: Logwood Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/16/06 06:21 PM
Yea that's it! I see it's spelled toucan though. Thanks.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/16/06 06:31 PM
Sorry, I was confusing the Spanish with the English (actually French) spelling.
Posted By: Komowkwa Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/18/06 11:09 AM
If you want cute, try a Sugar Glider. Petaurus breviceps is a small 'gliding' possum. This is the kind of pet which is only awake during the first hour of so after you get home from work. They sleep the rest of the day.

If you want funny try ferrets. They get into exceptionally small places and hide [or get stuck] all the time. Actually just weasels with a nicer name. Oh, maybe I am thinking of ferret owners?
Posted By: Logwood Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/18/06 05:09 PM
Great!

Anyone knows which animals are known for their sense of direction besides dogs or cats?
Posted By: Zed Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/18/06 06:22 PM
Geese seem to know north and south.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/18/06 06:42 PM
As do most birds!!

Also, bats. And maybe whales or dolphins?
Posted By: Aramis Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/18/06 07:15 PM
Looks like monetremes already got one hit, funny by design. Cows are funny in comics, and prairie dogs act funny. Talking kittycats are a riot (real ones, not in cartoons).
Posted By: consuelo Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/18/06 09:45 PM
Iguanas are pretty strange characters.

From an article in the NY Times:

Quote:

With a roll of the eyes and lethargic waddle, the iguana disappeared into the roadside mesquite thicket where it probably stashed its pack of cigarettes and beanbag ashtray.

Posted By: Zed Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/18/06 11:06 PM
Someone did a documentary exploring humor. They compared male vs female (significant differences), different cultures (everybody has their own equivalent of the person-from-a-different-country/state/area/ethnicity-where-everyone-is-stupid joke), etc. They also told the same joke featuring various animals. I think the cow won for funniest animal but I can't remember for sure.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/19/06 12:15 AM
sense of direction

Butterflies and eels migrate.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/19/06 10:33 AM
meerkats are funny.

and lemurs. and especially John Cleese acting like a lemur.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/19/06 01:35 PM
Most migrating animals have a good sense of direction; elephants, caribou, etc.

Bees and wasps also have a good sense of direction, though they are not particularly funny.

Ants find their way back home, but I don't know if it is because they have a good sense of direction or only because they leave scent markers. If the scent markers are removed, can they still find their way back home?

Some people have fabulous sense of direction. My uncle could get plopped in the middle of the forest and he'd find his way back. It always amazed me that he'd just walk into the woods, in the wilds of the northern Laurentians, and eight or nine hours later, he'd come back out around the same place.

I know other people, on the other hand, who get lost if they turn two corners on a street.
Posted By: Bingley Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/20/06 05:17 AM
I used to have a good sense of direction, but it seems to have disappeared since I came to Java (which is in the S. Hemisphere -- just).
Posted By: belMarduk Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/20/06 05:20 PM
That's a good thing about living on an island like Montréal. There no way you can be really lost. You know if you hit water, you simply turn around.
Posted By: Zed Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/20/06 10:45 PM
When I visited Montreal friends took me to a lovely park in the middle of the city. They asked if I liked their mountain and were quite insulted when I asked where it was.
I was standing on it.
No offence Belle but I was living among the Rockies at the time.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/20/06 11:10 PM
HA! Perspective, eh?! A molehill is molehill in Montréal, but a molehill is a mountain in Saskatchewan. So no insulted feelings on this end.

Aye, The Mountain is not very tall, but it is a mountain. I think the slope is too light to notice all that much. It's when you're in the air, or far away, that you see how tall it is.

It's funny though, it's The Mountain not the mountain.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/22/06 05:15 PM
Laverne says the aardvark is funny
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/22/06 11:33 PM
Aardvark a mile for a camel.
Posted By: Jackie Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/25/06 01:19 AM
They asked if I liked their mountain and were quite insulted when I asked where it was.
I was standing on it.

Hoo! Ha! Oh, thanks, Zed--I needed a good LOL!

Loggie dear...what's your novel about, pretty please? Besides funny animals, I mean. (BTW, all my ideas have been posted already by the others.)
Posted By: Logwood Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/25/06 04:29 PM
Well, more of a comic novel. When I posted this thread this was what I had in mind:

"Captain's log,

Monkey for a boatswain, parrot for a navigator and a deck-fertilizing chicken for a figurehead, my manure-scented is sailing roughly in the middle of nowhere. It's been two days at sea, and despite the doldrums the crew's in high-spirits: I can tell it by the way Jug-Jug the monkey is enthusiastically rubbing his behind, or how Archie the chicken is obsessively pecking the laces in my boots, in his mind defending me from a full-scale, all-out earthworms invasion..."

There was more of course, but I deleted it all for a fresh start ("Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm" -- Churchill). I think it's good, but not good enough. I've been trying 5 different drafts since and finally found something I could flow with-- I can't tell you what it's about at this point, except that it's based on my idea of humour and unique past experiences in role-playing games.
Posted By: Jackie Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/26/06 03:22 PM
That sounds like it would make a great animated movie!
Posted By: Father Steve Re: What are some funny animals? - 07/29/06 12:04 AM
That sounds a bit like the Voyages of Doctor Doolittle.
© Wordsmith.org