Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth Globish - 07/11/06 12:21 PM
Anyone like this idea to simplify International English (whatever that is) into a version of English using only the most common words and phrases?

Globish
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Globbish - 07/11/06 12:57 PM
Globish

Rubbish.
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Globbish - 07/11/06 01:34 PM
> Rubbish.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Globish - 07/11/06 02:53 PM
I think the listings for British and U.S. English are interesting:
British Isles
British English | East Anglian English | English English | Estuary English | Hiberno-English (Ireland) | Highland English | Manx English | Mid Ulster English | Midlands English | Northern English | Received Pronunciation (?) | Scottish English | Welsh English | West Country dialects

United States
American English | African American Vernacular English | Appalachian English | Baltimorese | Boston English | California English | Chicano English | General American | Hawaiian English | Maine-New Hampshire English | Mid-Atlantic English | New York-New Jersey English | North Central American English | Pacific Northwest English | Pittsburgh English | Southern American English | Utah English | Yooper

Also Llanito (Gibraltar) .
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Globish - 07/11/06 05:59 PM
New York-New Jersey English

Hey! I've lived most of my life in New Jersey and we don't speak like no New Yawkers!
Posted By: Zed Re: Globish - 07/11/06 11:06 PM
"a simplified version of English...most common words and phrases...used by non-English speakers"
Globish, eh? We usually call that "beginner" or "limited" English or occasionally "ESL" (English as a Second Language.) I had no idea someone was trying to make it into a language of it's own.
Maybe I actually speak Mondol and mondais instead of just bad Spanish and limited French.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Globish - 07/12/06 12:03 AM
I agree Zed. I think "beginner" or "ESL" are better descriptions.

I've never heard of a person purposefully trying to limit his or her vocabulary. Their vocabulary is limited because those are the words they've learned. If they have the opportunity to learn more, they take it.

Mondol / Mondais
Posted By: Sparteye Re: Globish - 07/31/06 01:04 AM
The idea is very very not not good.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Globish - 07/31/06 04:19 PM
Sounds like an expr that Stephen Colbert might concoct
Posted By: Faldage Re: Globish - 08/01/06 12:16 AM
Quote:

The idea is very very not not good.

Double plus ungood?
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Globish - 08/01/06 01:16 PM
Western/Central Canadian English? That covers a heckuva lot of territory. My mother came from Manitoba, and her vowels were broader than the Ontarian vowels I speak. When I was fifteen we moved from Oakville (near Toronto) a mere hundred miles northish to Elmvale, and there was a marked difference in vocabulary and vowel sounds. I was considered to "talk funny" until I picked it up.
Here in Northeastern Ontario we have a different vocabulary again - for example, in the Muskokas, south of here, one goes to the cottage. Here, it's going out to camp. "Camp" may be a two-storey chalet with a satellite dish and in-ground swimming pool next to the tennis court, but, dammit, it's "camp".

I'm in the "bad idea" camp (not cottage).
Posted By: Hydra Re: Globish - 08/13/06 06:43 AM
You can't just put rigid economy conditions on an existing language and call it a new language. It's the stupidest idea I've ever heard of.
Posted By: speck Re: Globish - 08/15/06 03:41 AM
Reminds me of Unamunda, da linkwa looniversahl, in "The Universal Language," a short play by David Ives, from the set "All In the Timing."

"Velcro! Bell jar, Froyling! Harvardyu?...Dameetcha playzeer!"

Unamunda is funnier.
© Wordsmith.org