Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Faldage Damp squids and other natural wonders - 05/13/06 07:58 PM
One of the teeming tens over to wordorigins discovered this wonderful little article. Some of them were a little to local for me but have been explained to me by one of the regulars. Any others that y'all have run into?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Damp squids and other natural wonders - 05/14/06 01:20 AM
That's a cute article, Faldage. Most of the allusions I got (San Fairy Ann was my favorite), but...what on earth is damp squid a substitute for?
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Damp squids and other natural wonders - 05/14/06 02:33 AM
Quote:

That's a cute article, Faldage. Most of the allusions I got (San Fairy Ann was my favorite), but...what on earth is damp squid a substitute for?

"Damp squib"
Posted By: Marianna Re: Damp squids and other natural wonders - 05/14/06 07:53 AM
A-hem... can anyone elucidate further? I don't get "damp squib" either.

Fun article, Faldage!
squibs are fireworks.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Damp squids and other natural wonders - 05/14/06 10:39 AM
To this USn ear squibs sound like they're already damp. Another Briticism that just doesn't sound right.

Eta, you've heard squib in the wild here in the US&A?

Jackie, damp squib is a firework that fizzles instead of banging. It is used metaphorically to mean something that doesn't pan out the way you'd expect it to.

One of the things I liked about the article was the folk etymology given for "given up the goat."
> Eta, you've heard squib in the wild here in the US&A?

nope, only in the Lord of the Rings...
In the film industry squibs are the little harmless explosives used in special effects, such as the simulation of a person getting shot. A packet of fake blood is taped to the actor's chest and a squib wired up to it. On cue the squib is detonated via remote control, causing the fake blood to burst forth as the player says something like "Alas, I die."
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Damp squids and other natural wonders - 05/14/06 12:19 PM
A squib is also a short article in an academic journal. I thought it stood for a damned squib in Linguistic Inquiry.
Posted By: Marianna Re: Damp squids and other natural wonders - 05/14/06 02:35 PM
Quote:

A squib is also a short article in an academic journal. I thought it stood for a damned squib in Linguistic Inquiry.

Thank you. So now that I know what a "damp squib" is, can I just say that zmjezhd's avatar looks uncommonly like a damp squid to me?
[/running-and-ducking-e]
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: So ... what DOES it mean? - 05/14/06 02:43 PM
ça ne fait rien?

Tranlated literally, I get "That makes nothing". Is that the French equivalent to "get stuffed"? Seems terribly mild if it is.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: sommes biches - 05/14/06 04:19 PM
zmjezhd's avatar looks uncommonly like a damp squid to me

O R'lyeh, it does.
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: So ... what DOES it mean? - 05/20/06 11:19 AM
Quote:

ça ne fait rien?

Tranlated literally, I get "That makes nothing". Is that the French equivalent to "get stuffed"? Seems terribly mild if it is.

No, what it means is "It doesn't matter". You might use it, say, if you are out of cash, but "San Fairy Anne, I have my Visa."
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: So ... what DOES it mean? - 05/20/06 08:44 PM
Thanks Elizabeth. Time for you to be getting back to large mammoths, isn't it?
Posted By: Aramis Re: So ... what DOES it mean? - 05/23/06 07:47 PM
Are these things in the same vein with "manneurism" (possibly a burst artery in one's personality)? Or is that only a "mute point" (unspoken idea that does not matter anyway)? Not making this up, really!
Posted By: dalehileman Re: So ... what DOES it mean? - 05/30/06 11:30 PM
Then can we reasonably conclude that "damp squid" is simply a misspelling of "damp squib" or that it is intended as a witty synonym for the latter
Posted By: Faldage Re: So ... what DOES it mean? - 05/31/06 08:56 AM
Actually, I think, it was a correct spelling of a mishearing.
© Wordsmith.org