Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Name that bear - 05/12/06 01:23 AM
Names tossed around for a recently discovered polar bear/grizzly hybrid:

>>Stirling said others in his office have been tossing around in jest possible names for the hybrid: a "pizzly" or a "grolar bear." One colleague said they ought to call it "nanulak," combining the Inuit names for polar bear -- "nanuk" -- and grizzly bear, which is "aklak."<<
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Name that bear - 05/12/06 05:45 AM
Does it answer to "Jim"? If I was close enough to work out that it was a hybrid between grizzly and polar bears I might just get time to call it ofuk befor ....
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Name that bear - 05/12/06 09:05 AM
> ofuk

Posted By: themilum Re: Name that bear - 05/12/06 10:07 AM
Now boys, don't be vulgar. Naming bears is a serious buisness.

Since a breeding group of these half-breed bears has not been established why don't we just consider theses bears as just a bi-polar version of the grizzly.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Name that bear - 05/12/06 11:09 AM
Lord, milum that's a grizzly pun. You might even say 'twas a Kodiak moment.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Name that bear - 05/12/06 11:11 AM
We could call it the lookatha, in commemoration of what generations of c'meres have said while driving around Western NC: lookatha bear. Lookatha bear.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Name that bear - 05/12/06 12:49 PM
> Kodiak momen

I prefer Polaroid...
Posted By: Myridon Re: Name that bear - 05/12/06 03:17 PM
The abominable snow-bear.
Posted By: Marianna Re: Name that bear - 05/14/06 07:55 AM
Quote:

> Kodiak momen

I prefer Polaroid...

Haaa ha ha! Love it.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc You think Big Brother isn't watching? - 05/17/06 01:01 AM
Quote:

Sponsored by:
Black Bear Hunts
"Island Bears" - new SCI category For the finest Bow & Rifle hunting
www.nwtoutfitters.com

Inuit Ringtone
Send this ringtone to your phone right now, at no charge!
spicymint.com

>Inuit Ringtone

"It's sad and it's sweet, and Inuit complete when I wore a younger man's clothes."
Posted By: wsieber hybrid - 05/18/06 06:58 AM
Now, I wonder how the creationists are going to deal with this issue: apparently, these "hybrids" are fertile.
Posted By: Faldage Re: hybrid - 05/18/06 09:10 AM
They won't have any problem at all. Obviously polar bears and grizzlies are of the same kind. But this isn't the forum for this discussion.
Posted By: Myridon Re: hybrid - 05/18/06 03:33 PM
Quote:

this issue: apparently, these "hybrids" are fertile.

It is a myth that all hybrids are sterile. It was already a known fact that polar bears and brown bears produce fertile offspring. Many domesticated animals and pets are the result of crossbreeding among species. There are even 60 documented cases of mules that weren't, well, mules. Oddly, hinnies (male horse x female donkey) are more likely to be fertile than mules (male donkey x female horse).
Posted By: Aramis Re: Name That Bear - 05/26/06 12:52 PM
The convention followed for some of the others, e.g., Brown and Black, combined with the likely appearance could suggest going with a simplistic approach like Argent bear . The grizzly could be Gray bear, for that matter. No, the applicable term is methodical, not boring.
© Wordsmith.org