Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/06/06 10:24 PM
So--did anybody else watch it? Barbaro won going away; he could just be a Triple Crown winner.

I was just musing on how much money must be spent, building up to a two-minute race. (Well, 2:01 and 2/5, this year.) There's the purchase price of the horse, of course. Feed, tack, and training for three years. They have to be run in previous races, which costs big bucks. Vet fees. Transportation fees. Stablehands. Insurance. I heard today that the entry fee for the Derby is $50,000. Custom-made silks and saddle blanket. Twenty owners did all that, this year.

And that's just the horses. The City of Louisville puts on numerous huge events. Thousands of people come from out of town for it, which is of course expensive. People buy fancy clothes to wear to it. Lots and lots of people here have Derby parties they buy supplies for. Then there's the clean-up.

It's mind-boggling when you think about it. All that, for two minutes and a second or two. Though it's worth it for the winner.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/07/06 12:25 AM
Today was the Opening Day of Yachting Season in Seattle, marked with crew races through the University cut and with a parade of decorated yachts from Lake Union to Lake Washington. It costs less and lasts longer.
Posted By: Faldage Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/07/06 03:06 AM
And we wowed 'em at our concert with the Fauré Requiem, the Duruflé Requiem, and Poulenc's Four Motets in a Time of Penitence.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/07/06 05:04 AM
Four Motets in a Time of Penitence.

During Eastertide!?
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/07/06 07:01 AM
I'm with you, Padre. Bloody heathens, the lot of them!
Posted By: Faldage Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/07/06 11:05 AM
Yeah, well we did the Bach Christmas Oratorio, Pts V and VI in mid January. We're just a little slow on the uptake is all.

And if you want heathens, we're doing the Orff Carmina Burana next Spring.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/07/06 12:48 PM
Bach's Christmas Oratorio is properly performed until the 5th of January, after which the season changes from Christmastide to Epiphanytide. I'll need to speak with whoever is doing the scheduling there, Faldo.
Posted By: themilum The Derby... (what's a non-word post?) - 05/07/06 01:24 PM
The National Cornbread Festival held last weekend in South Pittsburg, Tennessee was the biggest cornbread festival ever held in the contiguous United States. (Over 15,000 people attended)

Like the Derby the festival is becoming too commercial.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/07/06 10:57 PM
Quote:

And if you want heathens, we're doing the Orff Carmina Burana next Spring.

looking for a Swan?

love Poulenc. we're doing Un Soir de Niege, and have done the four Christmas Motets. (at Christmas, Padre...)
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/09/06 01:34 AM
Getting back to the Derby, I enjoyed it and thought Barbaro ran a terrific race. But something bugs me about the Derby: I noticed that some of the trainers, Bob Baffert for example, had more than one horse in the race. Yet the jockeys were only allowed to each have one horse in the race. Why do they discriminate against the jockeys thusly?
Posted By: Jackie Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/09/06 01:41 AM
Alex--you kill me!
Yeah, I was a little surprised that none of Bob's came in; he is a top-notch trainer after all--one of the best of the best.
Posted By: Zed Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/09/06 10:59 PM
Yet the jockeys were only allowed to each have one horse in the race. Why do they discriminate against the jockeys thusly?

The Worker's Compensation Board won't allow jockeys to ride more than one horse ever since having to pay a huge settlement to jockey Robert (Stretchbob Longpants) Williams following the career ending leg-length incident of 1978 when only one of his horses spooked and ran off the track.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/10/06 01:20 AM
While the second won by his nose.
Posted By: Aramis Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/24/06 07:00 PM
Was starting to ponder about the power-to-weight ratio angle on that, as in 2HP for the same jockey weight could be an advantage, but the faster horse of the pair would need to be de-tuned to synchronize the gallop rates. Seems like passing within a large pack could be problematic also.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/24/06 07:27 PM
Could lead to a whole new field of endeavour: Positioning for jockey.
Posted By: Jackie Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/25/06 01:01 AM
horse ... would need to be de-tuned

Barbaro's doing well so far. [fingers crossed e]
Posted By: Alex Williams horses detuned - 05/25/06 01:18 AM
Another scheme to gain an advantage in the horse race would be to have the former lead singer of The Monkees ride the two horses. Not only would you have twice the horsepower, but you'd have extra Tork as well.

/I am so sorry.
Posted By: Myridon Re: horses detuned - 05/25/06 04:07 PM
Quote:

... the former lead singer of The Monkees ... extra Tork

Why do people have to add unnecessary details? On The Monkees' first five albums, Peter Tork sings lead vocals by himself on only two songs. (For comparisions sake: Mickey 20, Davy 20, Mike 14)
Posted By: Aramis Re: The Derby (non-word-related post) - 05/25/06 07:21 PM
Quote:

Could lead to a whole new field of endeavour: Positioning for jockey.

Are we allowed to nominate for the funniest gag ever posted here? That one is a riot. [Usual Channel 7 opinion disclaimer applies]
Posted By: Alex Williams Retractions and Clarifications Dept. - 05/25/06 08:04 PM
Quote:

Why do people have to add unnecessary details? On The Monkees' first five albums, Peter Tork sings lead vocals by himself on only two songs. (For comparisions sake: Mickey 20, Davy 20, Mike 14)

We regret to report that a recent item relating to the facetious horse racing activities of Peter Tork of The Monkees slighted the contributions of bandmates Mickey, Davy and Mike. Due to the offhand nature of the comment, which was merely a vehicle for a terrible pun that involved the relationship between racing, horses, horsepower, engine tuning, torque, and the surname Tork, our usual legion of fact checkers, hair splitters, bean counters, editors, boot lickers, whip crackers, translators and attorneys was not consulted prior to clicking on the SUBMIT button. We are so very sorry to learn that anyone took the comments seriously enough to be offended, and even more sorry for the god-awful pun in the first place. Actual members of the Monkees may contact our attorney to complain but their words are likely to fall on deaf ears as our attorney is a Megadeath fan and says she would just as soon kick each and every one of their asses rather than talk to them, and furthermore their music "sucks," except for "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone," which is "decent," although the Sex Pistols version was better. Ardent fans of the Monkees are, she says, beneathe her contempt but she will give them the asskicking they so desperately need if they are willing to pay her hourly rate plus expenses. (Wear and tear on the Ferragamos, you know.)
> bean counters

legumaticians.
Alex Williams is one of the funniest people I know ... and I don't even know him.
> Alex Williams is one of the funniest people I know

word.
© Wordsmith.org