Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve guestworthy - 04/07/06 11:34 PM
Most words coined and used within a family are best kept within the group of origin. Every family, I suspect, has a number of these: silly words, familiar to all the occupants of the house where they have currency, with a shared meaning to insiders and no or little meaning to outsiders.

We evolved a new one (new to us, anyway) at our house which I think might deserve a wider usage. When experimenting in the kitchen, some of the results are adequate, some are inedible, and some are what we term "guestworthy" -- in the sense that we will add them to the small collection of recipes which we deem presentable to visitors at our dining room table. A recipe has to be really good to fit into this category. We honour our guests my presenting them with only the best food we know how to prepare.

How do you like our coinage?
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: guestworthy - 04/08/06 12:00 AM
I like it.
Elaine Benes might wonder in turn if a given guest were spongeworthy.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: guestworthy - 04/08/06 12:08 AM
like an old shoe.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: guestworthy - 04/08/06 12:57 AM
I like it. It's along the same lines as the meals a friend prepares that he calls "dateworthy".
Posted By: tsuwm Re: guestworthy - 04/08/06 02:02 AM
sometimes these things aren't as fresh as one might think.
Posted By: AriFeanor Re: guestworthy - 04/08/06 02:28 AM
^^ Line break.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: guestworthy - 04/08/06 07:31 PM
Ooo, this just reminded me of when we were young and my Mom had all of our family over for Christmas eve. We'd start setting up at around 7 p.m. and that's when she'd start to say, "don't eat those, they're for the guests."

==================================

Ari, I'm not sure what you were trying to say.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: guestworthy - 04/08/06 10:22 PM
That's a really good story. For me the object of the scolding was always the black olives in the relish tray.
Posted By: AriFeanor Re: guestworthy - 04/08/06 10:26 PM
belMarduk: That was when tsuwm had a line break in his url for "fresh as" and it didnt work as a URL Link, just text that was split by a line break. Hes fixed it now.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: guestworthy - 04/08/06 10:43 PM
Ah. Well good, he must have understood since it's fixed.

I thought you were talking in the "L33t5p34k" like etaoin described in the other thread.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: guestworthy - 04/08/06 11:45 PM
Quote:

belMarduk: That was when tsuwm had a line break in his url for "fresh as" and it didnt work as a URL Link, just text that was split by a line break. Hes fixed it now.

yes, but I'm still puzzled as to the root of the problem -- the url was all on one line; only the subsequent text wrapped. not only that, but the link worked just fine in the preview window, which is where I always check links.
Posted By: AriFeanor Re: guestworthy - 04/09/06 12:49 AM
Hmm, I think no matter what, it has to be all in one line within the brackets.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: guestworthy - 04/09/06 12:56 AM
> Hmm, I think no matter what, it has to be all in one line within the brackets.

I don't think so, since we likely use different screen sizes/resolutions.

that being said, I don't know why that link would have chosen to break...
Posted By: AriFeanor Re: guestworthy - 04/09/06 03:27 AM
The way I saw it, it was broken in the middle of the screen, at the end, and considering I have a 1280x1024 res, I saw it as a break. Its happened to me alot of times, so I know how sometimes these things like to break for no reason. Most likely either hit enter by accident or BB code just thought it should break, maybe cause there were spaces in it and it wants _. I don't know but anyways its fixed.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: guestworthy - 04/09/06 07:58 PM
I agree with all that's been (and will be) said about the mysteries of string theory, as related to URLs. but I *still* want an explanation for why the link worked in the preview window, and then not!

-ron (non) obvious
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: guestworthy - 04/09/06 07:59 PM
a test

the problem seems to be the " " in the url. they break the code.

but I guess that still doesn't answer the question, does it?
Posted By: AriFeanor Re: guestworthy - 04/10/06 04:27 AM
And never will! Evil computers, they like to screw with us.
Posted By: Myridon Re: guestworthy - 04/10/06 04:13 PM
Just to relate everything to Seinfeld, I'll remind you of sponge-worthy.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: guestworthy - 04/10/06 04:38 PM
Quote:

Just to relate everything to Seinfeld, I'll remind you of sponge-worthy.

...so Father Steve can have chopped liver with his black olives?
Posted By: TEd Remington chopped liver with his black olives - 04/10/06 06:41 PM
But NO soup!!!
© Wordsmith.org