Wordsmith.org
Posted By: browerpatch I need a word! - 02/14/06 12:42 AM
Hello, y'all.
I'm new to this board, having only recently figured out it was here, and I'd really appreciate your help with a problem. I need a word!
I have a definition, and I know there must be a word out there that suits the meaning, but I can't find it.

The word I'm seeking will be one that can be used to label (we all know at least one person to whom this word will apply) someone whose ass cannot be kicked hard enough for edification or satisfaction. I don't know if this word already exists, or if someone will be able to coin one.

Thanks for you input,
Frank
Posted By: dalehileman Re: I need a word! - 02/14/06 03:09 PM
Glutton for punishment? Martyr? Masochist? Flagellant?
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: I need a word! - 02/14/06 03:56 PM
Boss
Posted By: arosebyanyname Do I smell a - 02/14/06 06:31 PM
Troll?
Posted By: Zed Re: Do I smell a - 02/14/06 11:45 PM
incorrigible
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Do I smell a - 02/15/06 12:46 AM
*** You are ignoring this user *** ?
Posted By: browerpatch Re: Do I smell a - 02/15/06 01:22 PM
Hello,
Not a troll, not ignoring anyone. My work schedule doesn't allow me to check back very often. I'm hoping to find the appropriate word that fits the description I gave above.
This is the individual that, not matter how much you work with or punish, just won't learn a lesson. Nothing seems to make an impact on them. The one that always has and always will do dumb stuff, and yet always seems to be rewarded for it.The one whose ass you just can't kick hard enough for them to learn from. The one that's such a smart-ass that no matter how hard you could kick their ass, you still want to do it more and harder. The one that you warn, they proceed, they're rewarded (over and over), and you look disgusted and mutter, "There ain't no justice".

I don't have a specific individual in mind, nor do I want to start a flame battle, especially since I don't know any of you (I'm new in these parts).

There's gotta be a word for that!

Frank
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Bart Simpson? - 02/15/06 01:48 PM

But even he might put his hand on a hot burner only so many times before making a connection.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: There's gotta be a word - 02/15/06 02:18 PM
How about Teflon ?
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: There's gotta be a word - 02/15/06 03:25 PM
OH! Now that you provide some more information I think I might have something:

schlemazl Yiddish) a very unlucky or inept person who fails at everything

or

schlemiel: NOUN: Slang A habitual bungler; a dolt.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: There's gotta be a word - 02/15/06 03:40 PM
I think Zed's suggestion incorrigible is the right word, although it is usually used playfully. ("Oh James, you're incorrigible!" exclaimed Miss Moneypenny.)

Incorrigible
Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin incorrigibilis, from Latin in- + corrigere to correct -- more at CORRECT
: incapable of being corrected or amended: as a (1) : not reformable : DEPRAVED (2) : DELINQUENT b : not manageable : UNRULY c : UNALTERABLE, INVETERATE
Posted By: Capfka Re: There's gotta be a word - 02/16/06 04:40 PM
I'd have said he was "thick as two short planks"!
Posted By: wow Re: I need a word! - 02/18/06 06:23 PM
There is an Irish word that fits this kind of person perfectly.... I have no idea of the Irish spelling but it is pronounced Cullshe
Applied usually to country folks who come to the big city, get a job by accident, don't do anything right, and eventually become the CEO !
Edited for spellling
© Wordsmith.org