Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman Technical issue - 02/08/06 05:40 PM
Forgive me for a topic unrelated to language, but I am desperate

Using Word/Outlook I cannot successfully email large files (say 100 Kb or so)to any of my contacts. In any attempt to Send such a file, instead of being transmitted to the recipient it simply gets lodged in the Outbox folder and stays there indefinitely

Yet the literature states categorically I should be able to send up to 20 Mb. I have consulted several experts, including a couple of highly-paid IT's who are as baffled by the problem as I am

Evidently the glitch isn't a software malfunction (unless very obscure) because since I first encountered the difficulty I have had my entire C: Drive purged and updated with no success

What is the world coming to when modern technology is so intractable

Thanks all for considering and for any possible help
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Technical issue - 02/08/06 05:49 PM
Outlook may support 20 MB attachments, but your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may not. You should talk to their support.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Technical issue - 02/08/06 05:53 PM
Have you tried zipping the files (compressing them) before sending?

I'd look at the file size and also whether there exists a prohibition against transmitting binary files.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Technical issue - 02/08/06 06:46 PM
zm: Thank you. Formerly I had spent hours on the Verizon website before concluding that it didn't have online tech support. However, at your suggestion I went back and tried again and presto--finally found a page where a subscriber could actually register his complaint; apparently a brand new feature. Will let you all know what I learn

Fal: Thank you; zipping has been suggested by others, but I'm also told it shouldn't be necessary. If all else fails and I don't turn up anyone who has had to grapple with the same problem, I'll approach my IT buddies once more and inquire about whether my files are binary and if so how they got that way

However they are getting pretty sick of my questions as you might infer from my absymal ignorance of Bill Gates' infinite complexities

Thanks to both of you and to any further help
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Technical issue - 02/08/06 07:06 PM
from outlook help: size limit
To send large messages

Many e-mail and news servers limit the size of the messages you can receive and send. Usually this limit is one megabyte (1 MB) per message, including all attached files.

With Outlook Express, you can send large messages or files to e-mail and news servers that have size limits, by breaking the messages into smaller ones. When the group of messages is received, the e-mail program combines them into one message.

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
On either the Mail or News tab, click Properties.
On the Advanced tab, select the Break apart messages larger than x KB check box and then enter the maximum file size the server will allow.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Technical issue - 02/08/06 08:25 PM
Ah bien tabarnouch!!! Thanks tsuwm, I didn't know this could be done. That would have saved me a bit of time on a few occasions.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Technical issue - 02/08/06 08:31 PM
not everyone can re-open those split files, however...
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Technical issue - 02/08/06 11:30 PM
Haven't yet heard from Verizon. Possibly they don't know either

Another end-run that has been suggested is to open a gmail account, which reputedly doesn't have such a limit. According I did so, but I have no idea how to use it. When I try to access it I get 41 million hits

Edited to remark that finally I managed to access its home page by addressing www.gmail.com. Under "How to use it" I am reading about green, red, and yellow balls in something called a Quick Contacts box and so I'm still just as baffled as ever

But thanks everybody for trying
Posted By: Jackie Re: Technical issue - 02/09/06 02:06 AM
tabarnouch ?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Technical issue - 02/09/06 02:56 AM
Quote:

tabarnouch ?

That's tabernac in the pluperfect subjunctive ablative.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Technical issue - 02/09/06 01:56 PM
Tabarnach(e) is a Quebecker (euphemistic?) variant of tabernacle which in French besides meaning 'tabernacle' is also a swearword like English Zounds!
Posted By: Myridon Re: Technical issue - 02/09/06 04:00 PM
I was going to suggest downloading an alternate email client such as Mozilla Thunderbird in order to verify whether the problem was Outlook or Verizon, but if you're having trouble with Google Mail...
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Tabarnouch - 02/10/06 02:43 PM
Yup, what they said.
Posted By: musick I know about this issue... - 02/10/06 10:22 PM
...it exists between Word and Outlook.

Stop using Word as your email editor. To get advanced text enhancements make sure your Outlook /options/mailformat is chosen as "HTML" (turn off/uncheck "Use Word as your email editor"). This will allow bold/italics, etc... but it will stop *you from using two programs to edit one pc. of email... both of which have to access some of the same OS files simultaneously, a problem which manifests more often on larger files, file attachments and/or embedded pictures. Unfortunately you'll then have to run MS Spelling check seperately, but.

Also, if you are using filesharing/networking/or a camera chip reader... never attach a file from any place other than (a copy on) your local drive... anything else are the ingredients in a recipe for disaster.

... plus what everyone else says, but.

"...anything else are" = I can't wait to hear about that usage...
Posted By: dalehileman Re: I know about this issue... - 02/11/06 12:08 AM
Thank you mus. Thus the difficulty owes to some kind of obscure interaction between Word and Outlook. But after several decades why is it that among the tens of millions millions of PC users that I am the only person in the entire world of the Internet suffering from this problem

I cannot entertain in my wildest fantasies the idea that if what you say is true Microsoft hasn't hear about it from a single customer

At this late date the concept of relinquishing Word editing when composing email is tantamount to abandoning my PC for a typewriter

Myr: We're not all computer experts willing to spend thousands of hours of our remaining existence in the 24/7 study of computer programs and their manifest glitches and anomalies

God love Bill Gates
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: I know about this issue... - 02/11/06 12:30 PM
Quote:

Myr: We're not all computer experts willing to spend thousands of hours of our remaining existence in the 24/7 study of computer programs and their manifest glitches and anomalies

Agreed. Which is why Myridon's suggestion is such a good, easy and efficient one. But if you're even having trouble with Google mail...
Posted By: dalehileman Re: I know about this issue... - 02/11/06 11:41 PM
Anna: I finally accessed Gmail and was astounded to find six incoming messages. I'm not sure how to proceed tho I eventually hope to learn. But Gmail is 'way more complex and intricate than Outlook, and I wish I didn't have to resort to it as I just don't have that much time remaining

Every new glitch and puzzlement from the digital world steals hours of one's spare time

God bless Bill Gates

Thanks all for your patience
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: I know about this issue... - 02/11/06 11:49 PM
Quote:

God bless Bill Gates

Thanks all for your patience

What on Earth does Bill Gates have to do with Google Mail? It's offered by a company increasingly seen as a competitor to Microsoft, and is very popular among users of operating systems that have nothing whatsoever to do with MS.
Posted By: Jackie Re: God bless Bill Gates - 02/12/06 12:53 AM
I could be wrong, but I've thought from the first that I detected a distinct odor of irony in this statement.
Posted By: musick Re: I know about this issue... - 02/12/06 04:24 PM
Thus the difficulty owes to some kind of obscure interaction between Word and Outlook. But after several decades why is it that among the tens of millions millions of PC users that I am the only person in the entire world of the Internet suffering from this problem...

(a) You're not. Just because you can't find a complaint on the MS website doesn't mean the problem doesn't exsist; Do you have the last available Office patches?

2) How much RAM do you have... 256 will not be enough to handle the OS, WORD, Outlook, etc, etc, etc... (after Win 2k products) (Which/what/how much do you have?)

&) I just reread your problem: Under Outlook - /tools/options/mail delivery - there is a box to check that says "Send mail immediately when connected"... (just a thought).

+) HTML should have everything you need (other than an automatic spell checker... you have to "push the button" 'check spelling' before you send...

ps) I'm continuing this PM unless someone else would like to follow the saga.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: God bless Bill Gates - 02/12/06 04:27 PM
Mention of Bill Gates not to be taken literally. He merely stands as a symbol for all the massive confusion and frustration arising from the glitches and anomalies of the digital world

Still haven't heard from Verizon on this. Perhaps it's because (1) they don't believe me; (2) they believe but don't know how to fix it; (3) they believe it and know what to do but don't care; or (4) it's done purposefully as a means to get back at Bill for his perceived incompetence

Judging from the fact that nobody else seems bothered by it, I'm rapidly concluding that my inability to send large files by email may be an exclusively local phenomenon, affecting, say, only small geographical areas

If that sounds bizzare, consider this: I have never been able to open a photo identified by the small red X within a square in the upper left corner of an otherwise blank space. By coincidence, this morning I received the folllowing email form a correspondent in the Midwest:

Let's see if these photos come through. If they don't please let me know. I'm having trouble getting photos through to about a half dozen folks. The weirdest part is that they are all in the Victor Valley area in California. Maybe no one else has mentioned it though. Sometimes I will get a few that all I get is the little block with the red X in it.
Later,
Dan

God bless Bill Gates
Posted By: tsuwm Re: the Red X - 02/12/06 09:08 PM
When Outlook Express blocks pictures or other content, those items are replaced with a red "x." When you get legitimate messages (for example, a newsletter that you have subscribed to), you can download pictures and other content by clicking the Infobar, which is the banner near the top of the message. [Outlook Express Help]
Posted By: dalehileman Re: the Red X - 02/12/06 09:34 PM
Tsu, thank you most kindly for your infinite patience. What does that banner look like
Posted By: tsuwm Re: the Red X - 02/12/06 09:47 PM
I'm looking at one right now, located just below the Subject line, which reads "Some pictures have been blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click here to download pictures." You, of course, are free to click or not click at this point; the choice should be based on how well you know your correspondent.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: the Red X - 02/12/06 11:55 PM
tsu: In the email I had mentioned earlier I find no such message under the subject line. Perhaps they don't use them in parts of California. Believe me I'm not trying to be obtuse. But thanks for trying anyhow

God bless Bill Gates
© Wordsmith.org