Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie An ooky midquel - 02/03/06 02:56 AM
Y'all take a gander at this segment I took out of a review on IMDb, will you? I can tell from the context what ooky and midquel mean, I think, but have any of you heard these terms before?
This midquel is squarely aimed at the lunchbox-tetherball set to the point that unless you're a complete animation nut like yours truly, you might find one or two scenes a bit too cloyingly ooky to your liking.
It is what I would normally consider a sequel...okay, it's Bambi II--I wanted to see if that was indeed Patrick Stewart's voice I thought I'd heard in the previews; as far as I know there is no movie that follows it. That would be hard to do, in fact, as this movie was just made.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: An ooky midquel - 02/03/06 05:08 AM
ooky, a. colloq.
[Prob. alteration of UCKY a. Cf. earlier ICKY a. and slightly later OOK n.]
Unpleasant, repellent; slimy. Chiefly in extended use: sickly, sentimental. Also: peculiar; unsettling. Cf. ICKY a.

1964 S. BELLOW Herzog (1965) 277 He writes poems and reads them to Mama... He looks ooky when he says them.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: An ooky midquel - 02/03/06 09:58 AM
ooky I'm familiar with, though I'm not sure I have ever seen it written, but midquel, no.
Posted By: Faldage Re: An ooky midquel - 02/03/06 10:40 AM
I would think that midquel implied another movie to follow, whether there was one that was actually in any stage of production or not. One might consider the various post-Stone Harry Potter movies.
Posted By: maverick Re: An ooky midquel - 02/03/06 11:59 AM
I would have thought its origin betrays the sense being reached for, but not entirely clearly. Sequel was obvious in meaning, and led to the coinage prequel to describe a story set before the tale that was first told – eg, the 3 Star Bores ‘prequels’. Surely therefore midquel is suggesting a segment that inserts into the middle of an existing storyline?
Posted By: Faldage Re: An ooky midquel - 02/03/06 12:05 PM
Geesh! Word's not even dry behind the ears and already you're prescripting about its misuse.
Posted By: maverick Re: An ooky midquel - 02/03/06 12:07 PM
ain't often I gets torn off a strip fer that!
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: An ooky midquel - 02/03/06 12:45 PM
perhaps it's more a midscript?
Posted By: Myridon Re: An ooky midquel - 02/03/06 04:54 PM
The Disney movie Bambi is based on the book Bambi: A Life in the Woods by Felix Salten. He wrote other books in the series including Bambi's Children: The Story of a Forest Family which I would assume takes place quite a bit after this new Bambi II.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: altogether ooky - 02/03/06 05:34 PM
It seems that Felix Salten may have also written a famous bit of erotica, an autobiography of Josefine Mutzenbacher. Reminds me of Roald Dahl's varied output.
Posted By: Alex Williams A Dahl's House of the Rising Sun? - 02/03/06 06:03 PM
I'm a big fan of Dahl's but I didn't know he wrote any erotica.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: A Dahl's House of the Rising Sun? - 02/03/06 06:29 PM
You might want to read these few paragraphs. I remember reading some of Dahl's short stories in Playboy.
© Wordsmith.org