Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Benjamin Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/29/06 01:52 PM
can anyone transliterate the pronunciation of "Le lune ne garde aucune rancune" for me?

i can't speak french but this line ("the moon holds no grudges whatsoever") occurs in a poem I have been asked to read in class by my English teacher... Rhapsody on a Windy Night by T. S. Eliot...

I tried a few french language forums but theyre a bit slow in replying and i have to read this thing on wednesday.... i'm trying every forum i can.... ahhhhhh

...thank you so much....
Posted By: Benjamin Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/29/06 02:54 PM
ok... another forum has suggested

"Lah lyune nuh gahr-duh oh-kyune rahn-kyune"....

would like a second opinion though...
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/29/06 03:15 PM
The three us in lune and -cune do not have an equivalent in English. They are technically called high front rounded vowels, and are similar to the German sound ü. You can approximate the sound by pronouncing them like an i (as in Spanish or Italian) but with rounded lips.
Posted By: of troy Re: Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/29/06 07:09 PM
ah Zmj--you remind me of my first French teacher (a nun) who would come by and try to pinch our cheeks. those of us who cowered and cried (when pinch) sometimes got extra points.

she maintained that, if we were doing our homework and practicing prononciation, our cheek muscles would be sore --because we needed to learn, not just words in our heads, but to use new muscles in our faces (cheeks) to make new sounds..
Especially words with R and U.

if we didn't ache from practice, she would make us ache with a good pinch!
(now days, i remember almost no french.. but i think i can still make the U sound of luna (i feel myself using facial muscles that i almost never use!)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/29/06 07:36 PM
Ah, of troy, to learn French from penguins (aka le manchot). What a treat. On a sad note, I see that my phonetic grandfather (the advisor of my phonology professor) has shuffled off this mortal coil. I never got to meet him, but heard plenty of stories from my professor, and another of his students with whom I worked for a number of years.
Posted By: Benjamin Re: Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/29/06 07:52 PM

I found this...

How to Pronounce the French "U"

1. Open your mouth.
2. Say O.
3. Draw out the O until your lips are where they would be to make a W sound.
4. Purse your lips as tightly as you can.
5. Keeping your lips pursed, say E.
6. Voilà the French U!
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/30/06 01:07 AM
Oh my god, that works perfectly well Benjamin. The sound is the same.

I was trying to figure out how to explain it to you, the way we say it with the tongue and lip placement, it but if you follow your explanation, it sounds the same.

(though when we say it, because of the way our tongue is placed, the lips are not so much pinched as ever so slightly puckered as in to give a gentle kiss)
Posted By: Myridon Re: Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/30/06 04:06 PM
My opinion (which of course doesn't count) is that he's probably going to sound rather silly pronouncing one vowel in exacting French "accent" while ignoring the rest of the sounds.
It may come off very like the newscasters who pronounce foreign names very exageratedly - "I am reporting from NEEcaaar-r-r-r-raghghghhoooaa today."
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/30/06 04:12 PM
I think that the rest of the sounds in French are not necessarily so different from English pronunciation.

(edited for tone)
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/30/06 05:05 PM
Agreed, eta - although I'd shorten the "gar-duh" a bit - instead of a whole syllable, just a really emphasized "D" sound, more like gar-de.
There's a big difference between "la lune" and "la loon" - oh-oh, I hear "luney/looney" jokes coming......
Posted By: of troy Re: Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/30/06 08:12 PM
crossing threads but aren't loonies really dollars?
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/31/06 12:10 AM
Yup, and they're golden coloured.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/31/06 01:18 AM
Quote:

Naw. They're more like 87 cents.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/31/06 01:19 AM
Posted By: Benjamin My computer speaks French! - 01/31/06 10:31 AM
Holy crap! Check this out! It's awesome!

http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html

(Given me by another poster at a French language forum... now I don't know about the French, but the English is almost spot on... ).
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Le lune ne garde aucune rancune - 01/31/06 12:38 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Naw. They're more like 87 cents.

Alberta, let your hair hang low, for the times they are a changin'.
Posted By: Jackie Re: My computer speaks French! - 01/31/06 01:40 PM
Benjamin--that is SO cool!! Thank you! I am taking a sort of refresher course in French, and, as before, I need pronunciation practice, and even more, in understanding what I'm hearing. I typed in "will you dance with me" and didn't catch a word (in French); but when I typed in "bonjour, alain, comment-allez vous", I got it all.
Posted By: maverick Re: My computer speaks French! - 01/31/06 03:18 PM
I can honestly say that is truly ferkin' AWFUL! If you spoke like that in France they would be puzzled, not even recognising it as the beautiful language, and then either scandalised at your hopeless presumption or ROFLTAO!

edit: yeah, the English is fine.

It's particularly impressive when feeding a line like the following to 'UK Audrey'!

wassup, bro? hey dude, how's it hangin'?
Posted By: Jackie Re: My computer speaks French! - 01/31/06 03:43 PM
ferkin' AWFUL! Oh, no--it is? Dag nab it--some days I just can't win! The teacher who taught me best--and the only native French-speaker I had--spoke French-Canadian. I did have a brief summer session with some French graduate students, but they didn't talk to us much.
Posted By: maverick Re: My computer speaks merde! - 01/31/06 04:25 PM
Give Gin a call once a week, you'll do fine!
Posted By: belMarduk Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/01/06 02:35 PM
I wouldn't mind the call but I'd be the worst teacher ever.

I think it is the salesperson blood in me. If I hear somebody struggling in one language, I automatically switch to the other. Twenty-some-odd years of making it easier for my buyers has made this second-nature. I have a really hard time sticking to the language they want to learn.
Posted By: wsieber Re: My computer speaks French! - 02/01/06 03:58 PM
Hi mav,
I beg to disagree. I found it quite acceptable, as computer talk goes.
Posted By: maverick Re: My computer speaks French! - 02/02/06 02:31 AM
The computer voicing maybe ok, but the French pronunciation is rubbish! For example it gives plait as 'plate'.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: My computer speaks French! - 02/02/06 12:20 PM
annenberg
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: My computer speaks French! - 02/02/06 01:03 PM
It seems quite authentically French to me. I asked it English "Which way to Notre Dame?" and it told me to f--k off.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: My computer speaks French! - 02/02/06 01:30 PM
ROFL!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: My computer speaks French! - 02/02/06 01:55 PM
I don't know what language / voice you're using in the dropdown list, but it pronounces plait as /plE/.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: My computer speaks French! - 02/02/06 11:24 PM
Mav, I think I know what's going on.

You have to choose "Juliette French" as the speaking voice or the words are totally butchered.

If you simply type in the words on the opening page, "S'il vous plaît" is said as "Sill v - o - u - s plate" with vous spelled out letter by letter. It is absolutely horrible.

If you choose Juliette as speaking voice, it sounds quite good, with very little errors to speak of.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: My computer speaks French! - 02/02/06 11:59 PM
You have to choose French, I chose Alain, otherwise the pronuciation is not butchered, it is just in English, the default language. How do I say mantled auf Französich? Ah, actually now I understand, I'm being ignored. Sniff. Ah, well, it'll free up my posting stylo.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/03/06 12:08 AM
Quote:

Give Gin a call once a week, you'll do fine!

Peut-être pas. I had a French language teacher once who, like our BelM, was from Quebec. She seldom missed a chance to tell her students that people from "la terre des cesmes" had often refused to concede that the language she spoke was French.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/03/06 12:37 AM
I don't know where/what cesmes is, but if it is anywhere in France, it seems that she's absolutely right. So many people I know were snubbed, or told to speak "proper" French while on vacation in France or by French people here on vacation.

One guy, here on a work visa, once told me, "Your language is so funny. It's so uneducated." and proceeded to say "ouain, ouain" several times and laughing to himself. (ouain is the French equivalent of "yup") And could you believe he was trying to pick me up?

On a separate note...Maxq, your French is always written so well. You have a phenomenal memory to remember all the noun orientations (male/female) accents and verb conjugations. (Your teacher must have been very good.)

Zm - sorry, I was not ignoring you. I just scooted down to the bottom of the thread to answer Maverick.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/03/06 12:50 AM
Quote:

I don't know where/what cesmes is,

You don't watch The Simpsons? C.E.S.M, plus "es" for pluralisation. Or, more accurately, C-E.S.M.
Posted By: Jackie Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/03/06 01:37 AM
I don't know where/what cesmes is Ditto.

(ouain is the French equivalent of "yup") What about ouais, please? The lady teaching our little group keeps saying oo-eye, and finally wrote it on the board as ouais.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/03/06 11:56 PM
Jackie, ouais is to ouain what ya is to yup - it's all lazy talking really.

Max, I very rarely watch the Simpsons. I have to admit that your explanation is whooshing right over my head.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/05/06 07:20 PM
Quote:

Max, I very rarely watch the Simpsons. I have to admit that your explanation is whooshing right over my head.

Voici:
http://www.clayloomis.com/simp63e.wav
Posted By: belMarduk Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/05/06 07:38 PM
Apparently Mr Loomis doesn't like it when folks link to his page from a bulletin board. I got a stern "error" message.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/05/06 07:40 PM
max,

ERROR: 403 FORBIDDEN - YOU CAN'T DO THAT!

CLAY'S SOUND EMPORIUM
http://www.clayloomis.com

You have to be AT the above Web site to play/download my sounds. Feel free to drop by and take all you like.

edit: hi bel!
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/05/06 07:44 PM
Mon mal!

Try http://www.clayloomis.com/simpsons.html then search for "Bonjour". That's how I found it.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/05/06 07:45 PM
Allo tsuwm, two kisses (bec-bec) for the link.

I did go to that page but there are a slew of bites and none had simp63 that Max referred to.

Poor Max, it's like when you have to explain a joke.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/05/06 07:50 PM
Ha. Finally got to the thing. Pressed the button and got...

Windows Media Player cannot connect to the server. The server name might not be correct, the server might not be available, or your proxy settings might not be correct.

The Fates decidedly do not want me to know what-of you speak Max.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/05/06 07:54 PM
huh. it won't play for me, and when I try to dl it, it says the file doesn't exist...

Bel: from Max:
Quote:

then search for "Bonjour"

from the page:

Quote:

Grounds-keeper Willy:

Due to budget cut-backs, Willy teaches French

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/05/06 07:57 PM
Because I am NOT a cesm, I shall try one more time:
http://maxqnzs.com/cesm.mp3
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: My computer speaks merde! - 02/05/06 07:59 PM
thanks, Max.