Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Miia thesis - 01/26/06 10:48 AM
Dear all,

I have finally finished my thesis, and you can go check it out in

http://cc.joensuu.fi/~mmattila/gradu.htm

If you have any questions or comments, you can e-mail me (miiamaAThotmail.com), or post them here, I do lurk around quite frequently, although I rarely post anything
Posted By: Father Steve Re: thesis - 01/26/06 01:17 PM
Dear Miia ~

Congratulations! I do recommend that you edit your post to alter your e-mail address to read
"miiama AT hotmail.com" so that some e-mail address harvester programme doesn't come and put you on every imaginable list of junk mail addresses.
Posted By: Zed Re: thesis - 01/26/06 04:09 PM

Nice to have that done I'll bet. Congratulations.
Posted By: Miia Re: thesis - 01/26/06 09:11 PM
Thanks guys, it sure feels great And Father Steve, thanks for the tip!
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: thesis - 01/26/06 09:22 PM
A fascinating read, Miia, thanks for the link. I do have a question, though. Since you excluded non-American variants of English (for very sensible reasons, well outlined in your original thread), would it not have been advisable to define the word "English" at the beginning of the thesis? Since the thesis confines itself to one variant of English, ought not that have been noted at the outset?
Posted By: maverick Re: thesis - 01/26/06 10:43 PM
Congratulations, Miia - the rest of your life can now be reclaimed! Thanks for the post - I'll look forward to reading it over the weekend.
Posted By: themilum Re: thesis - 01/27/06 12:23 AM
A most engaging subject for a thesis, Miia. Thank you for sharing it with us here.

I look forward to a most interesting read when time permits.

Understanding the mechanics of cultural taboos is fundamental to understanding the mechanisms of human Culture.

I'll opine soon.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: thesis - 01/30/06 01:56 AM
Miia,

How nice of you to post your thesis link here Miia. I know I feel a little bit of a velour for having answered your questionnaire and knowing that it helped you.
Posted By: Miia Re: thesis - 01/30/06 06:14 AM
Quote:

Since you excluded non-American variants of English (for very sensible reasons, well outlined in your original thread), would it not have been advisable to define the word "English" at the beginning of the thesis?

Yes, good point sjmaxq. I did say it in the abstract, but not on the introduction itself... As a matter of fact, this point is not explained until the material is presented Too much re-writing, I guess, something important is always missing from the final version.
© Wordsmith.org