Wordsmith.org
Posted By: maverick Bilingualism (sing it again) - 01/11/06 10:21 PM
I went to a show tonight at my local arts centre by a Greek singer, Athena, who some think is on the verge of major breakthrough – she’s appeared at the Purcell Room on the South Bank in London and is at St Georges in Bristol tomorrow.

Being fully bilingual and producing songs in both languages, she made some remarks I thought might interest youse guizes. “People ask me why I sometimes write in English and sometimes in Greek. I don’t really know. It's definitely not to do with a person the song may be about. But sometimes I wake up and am thinking in English, and other times I wake up thinking in Greek! It’s just how it is…”

You can hear samples of her music here if interested.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Bilingualism (sing it again) - 01/12/06 02:16 AM
Wow, she's good, mav; bet it was even better live.
Erm--in case it takes anyone else as long as it did me to figure out how to listen--click on SNAPSHOT CD EP.
Posted By: maverick Re: Bilingualism (sing it again) - 01/12/06 04:36 AM
ooops, sorry I didn't make that clearer, J! Yes, it was a good session - good guitarist and *superb slap and bowed bass who worked really well together, and Athena sometimes switching to 'our' Steinway.

I love hearing how someone relates to more than one language like this - it seemed to me there were some differences (both technical and emotional) between the kinds of songs she sang in each language. Good sound.
© Wordsmith.org