Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman Something wrong? - 12/20/05 04:17 PM
There may be something wrong with the algorithm as every time I visit the site I'm required to login with username and password, sort of a nuisance

Of course being a non-geek I readily allow that it couold be something I've done wrong. There are many hidden ways one can screw up without realizing it; in which case sorry for the inconvenience
Posted By: maverick Re: Something wrong? - 12/20/05 04:49 PM
Is your cache of cookies being cleared automatically, Dale?
Posted By: consuelo Re: Something wrong? - 12/20/05 06:02 PM
Dale, how do you enter the site? I've noticed that if I enter through an email, the sign-in page appears, but I finally looked up one day and saw that it said "Welcome, consuelo", so I just clicked on Main Index and there I was.
Do you log out when you leave or do you just click on the top right x to close the window? If you log out, the command to remember you each visit is useless, don't. No need to unless you are on a computer that you share with a bunch of strangers.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Something wrong? - 12/20/05 09:43 PM
Yes, exactly. Since the inauguration of the (wonderful) new board, I have had to log-in every time I access the home page. This is a minor inconvnience but, if I had a nickel for ever time I had to do it thus far, I would retire to a life of fully-funded geriatric sin.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Something wrong? - 12/20/05 09:44 PM
I haven't had to log-in but maybe twice.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Something wrong? - 12/21/05 01:01 AM
Thanks fellas; I will look into the "welcome" and the "cookies" thing. Admin: If you're listening, I dearly love your site and I realize how tedious it is to alter the code, but when the next update is due, I hope you will consider doing something about "This page has expired" and the continual need to log in
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Something wrong? - 12/21/05 01:08 AM
dale, I have to tell you that you're whistling in the dark as far as getting some action from "admin". this forum is pretty much self-sustaining (other than the installation of the "New Improved UBB software, following which someone read the bug reports for about 3 weeks).
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Something wrong? - 12/21/05 01:21 AM
you know, I'm not sure I understand why Anu would pay for forum software, and then not have someone around to watch over it...

oh well.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Something wrong? - 12/21/05 02:54 AM
I'm not sure I understand

"My ways are not your ways, and my thoughts are not your thoughts; but just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

~Isaiah 55:8-9.
Posted By: maygodbwidu Re: Something wrong? - 12/21/05 04:40 PM
helo ppl...
i keep noticing that here this forum or board is being referred to as the new board...why?? what was so particular about the old one? was it better thats why its being missed so much..or what??

n yaa.....someone please tell me how to put up an avtaar here...as on the other forums i use they mostly have an avtaar gallery to choose from..so what do i do now?? help me!!
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Something wrong? - 12/21/05 05:02 PM
Thank you all; Consuelo as well as Mav have a handle on the phenom

But forgive me for my unGeeklike ignorance of the ways of Bill Gates. The cause of the problem (Father, this might be how you got tripped up) is inadvertently hitting "Logout":

Once you have done this the site won't let you back in until you first go to the "login" page, duly log in, then check the "Remember me on each visit" box. Thereafter you will always be logged in until you again hit "Logout"

One side benefit to this thread is that I have finally learned my password. However, I'm still not sure whether my name is dale hileman, dalehileman, of Dale Hileman
Posted By: Faldage Re: Something wrong? - 12/22/05 01:37 AM
Quote:

helo ppl...
i keep noticing that here this forum or board is being referred to as the new board...why?? what was so particular about the old one? was it better thats why its being missed so much..or what??

We refer to it as the new board because it is new. Nothing special about the old board to make us all nostalgic over it or anything (well, some of us miss Ænigma, but that's a whole nother story). You should know that many of us spent a long time on the old board and many relationships were formed. We fully expect new ones to form on this board, so it's not like we're some closed society that will forever bar folks who weren't on the old board, but just know that it was the old board and this one is the new board. It also happened fairly recently. We may stop calling this the new board sometime in the not so distant future.
Posted By: maverick Re: Something wrong? - 12/22/05 11:43 AM
> why Anu would pay for forum software, and then not have someone around to watch over it...

A cynical marketing guru replies:

Anu's prime interest is clearly in the overall website, which is where most of his energy is focussed. Having an active board makes for a website that's *much more highly rated by the google algor(e)ithym, since it is highly active and change is a Good Thing... and every time we post a link it creates extra connectivity which is also a Good Thing... and it provides a hook to hang google ads on which is a Good Thing since it creates revenue... whereas anything more than cursory adminstration costs serious money which is a Bad Thing...

[/cynicalbastard.com]
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Something wrong? - 12/22/05 12:08 PM
I guess my main thought was "pay", when there are several very good freeware forumwares out there. and UBB ain't cheap.

not my dollar, I guess.
© Wordsmith.org