Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/18/05 06:54 AM
Who knew?
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/18/05 07:12 AM
Quote:

Who knew?

Pretty much anyone over 30 in the English-speaking Commonwealth of Nations, I would wager. Certainly I've long shared the reviewer's bewilderment at the idea that anybody would sell his soulr the stuff
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/18/05 12:44 PM
I discovered the Cadbury Turkish Delight bar in childhood and my response was pretty much "yuck". However, in my twenties I found a little store in Toronto which sold Turkish Delight in sugar-powdered cubes, and tried it again. I liked it - not enough to sell my soul for it, certainly, but I would eat it again.

It's probably a matter of taste, on many levels.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/18/05 02:46 PM
I like Turkish delight. A student gave me a box when she returned from visiting her family in Istanbul. I thought it was delightful. Not having a soul to sell, I can't vouch for the worth of a box of Turkish delight.
Posted By: consuelo Black dog - 12/18/05 03:16 PM
You a big legged woman, zmjezhd?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: ah, ah, ah, ah - 12/18/05 03:34 PM
You a big legged woman?

Hmm, I suppose if I were a woman, I'd be a gap-toothed one.
Posted By: consuelo Oh yeah, oh yeah - 12/18/05 04:11 PM
Sorry. My ex-mother-in-law has a quirky, kooky habit of taking a word or a phrase from any conversation and singing out a line from a song that contains that word or phrase. She did that at least ten times a day. One of the many things I love about her. I guess I was channeling...
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: game time! - 12/18/05 06:43 PM
This reminds me of a game we played a couple of years ago: somebody posts lyrics and then the next one takes a word from that set and posts another set/line/quatrain in cluding it. Is that how it goes? Anybody wanna start (let's limit it to the Latin liturgy in honor of the season............ J/K )
Posted By: maverick Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/18/05 06:47 PM
I'm with the one who is neither leonine nor of the wardrobe clan - the choc covered bar is sickly and disgusting, which put me off the whole idea until I tried the genuine article later on in years. By then of course my soul was long since parlayed...

Both the taste and the texture are unique. I can quite understand the subtely would be lost on many Americans of the sweet-toothed culture.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/18/05 07:04 PM
Quote:

Both the taste and the texture are unique.

Does that mean turkish delight is more unique than something which has merely a unique taste or a unique texture?
Posted By: maverick Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/18/05 07:09 PM
uh-huh.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/19/05 12:21 AM
Further Explanation
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/19/05 02:21 PM
I live for Turkish Delight. I love it. Put a one pound box near me, and its contents will vanish within 10 minutes, if I don't exercise extreme self-control. The best is with pistachios. It is fabulous, and is probably reasonably good for you, consisting, I guess, mostly of water and protein.
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/20/05 02:30 AM
Quote:

The best is with pistachios. It is fabulous, and is probably reasonably good for you, consisting, I guess, mostly of water and protein.

Nice rationale, insel.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/20/05 11:57 AM
Quote:

Quote:

The best is with pistachios. It is fabulous, and is probably reasonably good for you, consisting, I guess, mostly of water and protein.

Nice rationale, insel.

Rationale, schmashinale. I love the stuff.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/20/05 09:35 PM
It is fabulous, and is probably reasonably good for you, consisting, I guess, mostly of water and protein.

I like this line of reasoning. Following it, Tennessee sipping whiskey must be good for you, in that it is made mostly of corn and water.
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/21/05 03:03 PM
Quote:

It is fabulous, and is probably reasonably good for you, consisting, I guess, mostly of water and protein.

I like this line of reasoning. Following it, Tennessee sipping whiskey must be good for you, in that it is made mostly of corn and water.

Actually, any kind of alcohol must be good for you, because alcohol kills germs.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/24/05 12:51 PM
Note to FS,

Now that things have cooled down here, I would like to point out that "to be made from" and "to consist of" are not equivalent terms. Following *your reasoning, inhaling auto exhaust would be refreshing, because it is made from oxygen.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/24/05 09:53 PM
Isn't it lovely that "things have cooled down here" and we can poke one another good naturedly without risking the ignition of WWIII? Happy Christmas, which consists not so much of presents and parties but of good wishes.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/24/05 10:18 PM
The presence of good wishes be with you always, FS. And a very happy holiday to you.
Posted By: themilum Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/24/05 10:20 PM
"Happy" Christmas, Pardre? What's wrong with "Merry" Christmas, huh?

Well Ok, from the bible belt to you and yours...

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND A MERRY NEW YEAR!

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/24/05 10:38 PM
"Happy" Christmas, Pardre? What's wrong with "Merry" Christmas, huh?

I assumed the Padre was using the British form of the nativity and new year good wishes. In his Mother Country that is what they are wont to say.
Posted By: themilum Re: Turkish Delight, anyone? - 12/24/05 11:05 PM
You know, zmjezhd, maybe that Mother Country is right.
Poetry aside, "merry" does seem more akin to the traditional debaucheries that we celebrate New Year's night.

Besides, I was only spoofing the good pardre's kind post.

Sorry. Happy Christmas.
Posted By: consuelo Huh? - 12/24/05 11:19 PM
Quote:

I assumed the Padre was using the British form of the nativity and new year good wishes. In his Mother Country that is what they are wont to say.

Father Steve
Reged: 09/06/00
Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA

Feliz Navidad, y'all
Posted By: maverick Re: Huh? - 12/24/05 11:35 PM
We are all fated to travel far from our mothers.

Share some love with your nearest and dearest, wherever you are and whatever the season's special meaning for y'all.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: chez wok? - 12/25/05 12:40 AM
FS is what I'd call an anglophile. It is from his posts that I picked up his tendency to use the phrase "Mother Country" when refering to the UK. I was kidding themilum, since I was sure he knew that's what the English say 'round 'bout this time. No disrespect intended, even if the American South and Ole Angleterre are not my mother country. Have a fun and safe Saturnalia, y'all.

[Fixed a coupla typos.]
Posted By: inselpeter Re: chez wok? - 12/27/05 11:12 PM
As it turns out, lokum is made from cornstarch, not agar as I'd thought; so unlike Father Steve's whiskey, it contains little in the way of protein. Of course, cornstarch sounds anything but exotic to us, but I wonder if it wasn't imbued with New World magic when the Sultan in Topkapi consorted to make sweets.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Huh? - 12/27/05 11:14 PM
Quote:

We are all fated to travel far from our mothers.

and still to hear her calling us, calling us,
to wash our hands and sup.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: separated by a common language - 12/28/05 02:14 PM
Quote:

his tendenacy

Heh®

I like it, nuncle.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: separated by a common language - 12/29/05 03:15 PM
If only it were voluntary.