Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic the labiodental flap gets its own - 12/17/05 03:34 PM
We can rest easy. The International Phonetic Alphabet Council has agreed to assign this far-flung phoneme its own symbol. Read all about it:

http://www.sil.org/sil/news/2005/labiodental_flap.htm
Posted By: Faldage Re: the labiodental flap gets its own - 12/17/05 10:27 PM
Yay!!!
Oh, good - no more waking up at 3 a.m. for me, fretting about the state of my soul and the absence of a phonetic symbol for the labiodental flap!
Posted By: maverick Re: the labiodental flap gets its own - 12/18/05 06:49 PM
> fretting

Yes, that's so true! OK, let's see what's next on the list... ah yes, peace in the middle east...
Posted By: Father Steve Re: the labiodental flap gets its own - 12/18/05 08:51 PM
let's see what's next on the list... ah yes, peace in the middle east... \

...and a cure for cancer, that would be good.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: fretting about.. - 12/19/05 06:14 AM
peace.. cures.. (co)incidentally, I've just been re-reading The Lathe of Heaven.
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: fretting about.. - 12/20/05 02:32 AM
Quote:

peace.. cures.. (co)incidentally, I've just been re-reading The Lathe of Heaven.

tsuwm, this morning as David and I were coming in to work, I was thinking about this very story! I haven't read it in years. And then tonight I log onto AWAD and happen to read a thread in which you mention it...(insert theme from Twilight Zone here)
Posted By: Rainmaker Re: fretting about.. - 12/20/05 05:45 AM
The Lathe of Heaven was a great piece.
The labodential flap is not.

I am still waiting for a symbol for the glottal stop (or 'plosive' or whatever).

Rm
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: fretless about.. - 12/20/05 10:01 AM
> glottal stop

'

that's what I use when marking music.
Posted By: Faldage Re: fretting about.. - 12/20/05 10:25 AM
Quote:

I am still waiting for a symbol for the glottal stop (or 'plosive' or whatever).

Rm

You're going to have to wait negative twelve or thirteen years. They came up with that one in 1993. It's up in the upper right corner. Didn't you get the memo?
Posted By: Bingley Re: fretting about.. - 01/18/06 02:56 AM
It must have been considerably before 1993. I remember being taught that as the symbol for a glottal stop in my first year linguistics course back in 1976.
Posted By: maverick Re: fretting about.. - 01/18/06 01:05 PM
> 1976

Probably took us that long to convince the Americans of the standard, Bing. Bit like global warming.
Posted By: Zed Re: fretting about.. - 01/19/06 12:01 AM
upper right hand corner? Would that be the Backspace or Page Up buttons?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: fretting about.. - 01/19/06 12:27 AM
google ad:

Got /r/ problems?
The Entire World of R -the ultimate program for all 21 vocalic /r/ 's
w w w.sayitright. org
© Wordsmith.org