Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Extended ellipses?.......... - 12/10/05 10:48 AM
I've noticed a new style introduced here by maygodbwidu and tuhin; that of ending every sentence with a series of dots.......... is this a text-messaging convention? And if so, why?

Thanks [/trying to keep up with the young folks]
Posted By: Homo Loquens Re: Extended ellipses?.......... - 12/10/05 03:13 PM
Quote:

I've noticed a new style introduced here by maygodbwidu and tuhin; that of ending every sentence with a series of dots.......... is this a text-messaging convention? And if so, why?

Perhaps ellipses – like Emily Dickinson’s multiplying dashes – symbolise the synapses engaged in analogical flashes of cognition.

Quote:

Thanks [/trying to keep up with the young folks]

It's way too late for that :

Quote:

Death on the Installment Plan (1936) by Louis Ferdinand Céline (1894–1961) introduced the stylistic innovation of using ellipses and apostrophes to capture the rhythm of everyday speech.

Columbia University Press, P. McCarthy (1976)

But there's your real answer.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: three little dots - 12/10/05 03:57 PM
Louis Ferdinand Céline (1894–1961)

Céline, somewhere (maybe in one of his last three books), has a little mock paeon to his three little dots. Amongst his anti-Semitic, anti-American, and anti-French rants ...
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: three little dots - 12/11/05 01:45 AM
I use them when I want the reader to continue the thought themselves...
Posted By: Faldage Re: three little dots - 12/11/05 02:27 PM
Quote:

I use them when I want the reader to continue the thought themselves...

Quote:

Death on the Installment Plan (1936) by Louis Ferdinand Céline (1894–1961) introduced the stylistic innovation of using ellipses and apostrophes to capture the rhythm of everyday speech.

Columbia University Press, P. McCarthy (1976)

These are perfectly good explanations of the use of a single ellipsis, or even extended ellipses embedded in a sentence. The question was about the use of extended ellipses at the end of a sentence.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: three little dots - 12/11/05 03:53 PM
> extended

ah, I wasn't counting...
Posted By: Homo Loquens Re: three little dots - 12/11/05 07:08 PM
This thread is dead.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: three little dots - 12/11/05 07:11 PM
HL has spoken...
Posted By: maverick Re: three little dots - 12/11/05 11:26 PM
> spoken...

...and the conversation carries on anyway...

ASp asked "is this a text-messaging convention?" I'm no txt dmon, but I doubt this explanation, since most keypads require you to access the full stop (period) marker by using about three key strokes ~ since the essence of txt tlk is brevty not wt, this would seem counter-intuitive, na?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: three little dots - 12/11/05 11:47 PM
> counter-intuitive, na

whaddya want? consistency?
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: three little dots - 12/12/05 12:02 AM
On my cell, in txt mode, 2 get . press "1" ky 1x
Posted By: maverick Re: three little dots - 12/12/05 12:04 AM
and to drop in moisture, 1 move?! huh, mighta known there'd be more variants than I have seen, but.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: three little dots - 12/12/05 12:16 AM
Quote:

and to drop in moisture, 1 move?! huh, mighta known there'd be more variants than I have seen, but.

"Twas the same on my old phone, too, from a different manufacturer. Maybe it's market-specific?
Posted By: inselpeter Re: three little dots - 12/12/05 01:03 AM
Quote:

> counter-intuitive, na

extended ellipsis already counter-intuitive
Posted By: wsieber Re: three little dots - 12/12/05 08:32 AM
Hey, it just occurred to me, we could found a new school of thought, the consistentialists
Posted By: inselpeter Re: three little dots - 12/12/05 12:48 PM
Quote:

Hey, it just occurred to me, we could found a new school of thought, the consistentialists

Not *this group
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: ................... - 12/12/05 12:52 PM
Self-proclaimed dead-thread proclaimers notwithstanding, thanks, mav. You did attempt to directly address my question, which remains unanswered. Maybe one of the dotty ones will reappear to explain the significance.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: ................... - 12/12/05 01:03 PM
Given that text messaging is, for the time, the province of youth, I suspect that the main significance of the extended ellipsis is that it is non-standard. The same observation applies to the great prescriptivist divide.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: ................... - 12/12/05 01:08 PM
> remains unanswered

?
Posted By: Marianna Re: ................... - 12/12/05 01:41 PM
A friend of mine does this in e-mail. I've just asked her, and she says it's because with more dots she wants the reader to think longer. As in:

"She disappeared with John for two hours the night of the party... Not that I'm going to ask her what happened, you know..."

is different from:

"She disappeared with John for two hours the night of the party............... Not that I'm going to ask her what happened, you know................."

Can you see any difference?
Posted By: maverick Re: ................... - 12/12/05 02:18 PM
> think longer

Good call, Marianna ~ sounds likely.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: ................... - 12/12/05 02:32 PM
Though it might be more effective so: "She disappeared with John for two hours the night of the party... Not that I'm going to ask her what happened, you know..........."
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: ................... - 12/12/05 03:06 PM
I guess I need to 'splain myself better.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: ................... - 12/12/05 03:07 PM
So why doesn't anyone ask her? .........................
Posted By: maverick Re: ................... - 12/12/05 05:31 PM
> 'splain myself better

sorry if you felt mantled, Wodge - but in fairness I thought Marianna was making explicit the possible difference being attempted by someone choosing <......> in preference to just <...>. And TEd's post implies a whole nother question... where does a query or exclamation sit in relation to such extended pawses...?...!
Posted By: wsieber Re: Extended ellipses?.......... - 12/12/05 06:18 PM
Could it be a countermeasure to truncation? If part of the end is cut off in transmission, nothing very essential is lost.
To mention a biochemical analog (once more): many genes have "long terminal repeats" at their end, which tend to grow shorter with generations. Their function hasn't been completely explained so far.......
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Extended ellipses?.......... - 12/12/05 06:36 PM
> mantled, Wodge.

zok. considering the difficulty I'm having thinking about further description for this, I think I do really need to learn to 'splain my self better. something about hand gestures, and etc....

and sieb, interesting thought. and I just like saying "countermeasure to truncation"..............
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Extended ellipses?.......... - 12/12/05 07:01 PM
I got what you were getting at early on, dear patê-never-chopped-liver eta. What *I'm trying to get at is we have two new members, both of whom use this convention and some of the word-shortenings typical of txt mssg. Is this a current stylistic thing? I know there's nothing new about it, having messed around with punctuation most of my -- er -- creative life.

Marianna's example was interesting, and may be getting closer to the current phenom. And Uncle Werner's biological analogy makes sense to me, too..................
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Extended ellipses?.......... - 12/12/05 08:15 PM
*some of the text-message styling seems just too.. cute for words.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Extended ellipses?.......... - 12/12/05 08:29 PM
Quote:

*some of the text-message styling seems just too.. cute for words.

NO! NO!

2 qt 4 wds
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Extended ellipses?.......... - 12/12/05 09:06 PM
tsuwm said:
> just too.. cute for words.

not unlike your new avatar.......
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Extended ellipses?.......... - 12/13/05 02:07 AM
>[my] new avatar.............................

is there for the intended purpose of.. no, I mustn't reveal that yet.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Extended ellipses?.......... - 12/13/05 02:27 AM
> avatar

woof.
Posted By: Homo Loquens Thread redivivus - 12/13/05 03:22 AM
Quote:

A friend of mine [...] says it's because with more dots she wants the reader to think longer.

But even then wouldn't it be necessary to use multiple ellipses "... ... ... " with spaces?

I don't think the "extended ellipsis" is a text messaging convention at all. It is just a corruption, like the egregious use, so popular at AWADtalk, of the asterisk to mark out certain words (relax, *jocose* banter). As has already been pointed out, the engine of invention for text messaging is economy of expression. Having to press a key 15 times just to finish a sentence doesn't satisfy this requirement at all.

But there is another explanation for the excrescent ellipsis which does satisfy the law of the conservation of energy: The offending poster is simply holding down the Period key until a satisfying number of dots have appeared. Keeping an ellipsis to three dots by this method would be a miracle of hand-eye coordination.
Posted By: inselpeter Extended . . . - 12/13/05 03:34 AM
Maybe it's not an ellipses at all, but a row of dots. After all, a dot isn't a period.
Posted By: Homo Loquens Re: Extended . . . - 12/13/05 03:50 AM
Quote:

Maybe it's not an ellipses at all, but a row of dots. After all, a dot isn't a period.

While we are on the subject of heterodox punctuation use, is there a term for that emphatic use of a period after every word in a sentence to create a (highly effective, I think) staccato effect? For example :

Oh. My. God.

Or :

Worst. Movie. Ever.
Posted By: maverick Re: Extended . . . - 12/13/05 10:02 AM
stopatto?

(and yes, I agree it's effective!)
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Extended . . . - 12/13/05 10:06 AM
> is there a term

I don't know, I'll ask my periodontist.

> stopatto

heh.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Extended ellipses?.......... - 12/13/05 06:26 PM
neither ........, nor .......... gets any ghits........whatever!
Posted By: musick Mark this post with an asterisk! - 12/13/05 10:48 PM
...just a corruption, like the egregious use, so popular at AWADtalk, of the asterisk to mark out certain words...

This post will help you on your proscriptivistic journey for *truth, Homo Loquens

Posted By: maverick Re: Mark this post with an asterisk! - 12/14/05 02:21 AM
> will help you

or *not, one!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Mark this post with an asterisk! - 12/14/05 11:25 AM
On the other hand we certainly *are egregious in this usage since the herd does not follow this convention.
Posted By: consuelo Re: Mark this post with an asterisk! - 12/14/05 11:28 AM
*heh heh*
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Mark this post with an asterisk! - 12/14/05 11:48 AM
Perhaps it is the result of another period shortage such as Steve Martin reported on a few years ago in The New Yorker.
© Wordsmith.org