Wordsmith.org
Having recently received instructions to "post something interesting" I am issuing a challenge. In another thread, one full of puns about fish and dogs, I managed to pun "coelacanth." The challenge I propose is this: In order to extend our punmeister extraordinaire, could someone give TEd an even more awkward fish name to pun with?

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Something interesting - a fishy challenge - 02/25/01 06:37 AM
Well, i already mentioned the infamous candiru, which is ripe for 'pun'ishment.... just a suggestion.

and thanks, max, that'll suffice =)

This looks like a job for FishonaBike!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Something interesting - a fishy challenge - 02/25/01 01:26 PM
a challenge?? how about humuhumunukunukuapuaa?!
(it's a small Hawaiian fish)

Posted By: wow Re: Something interesting - a fishy challenge - 02/25/01 01:30 PM
Couple of New Hampshire entries fishing for puns :

Smelt,
Lobster,
and the ever popular : alewife.
wow

Here in snowy Minnesota, I'm told it's eelpout season.

Eelpout. Kinda rolls off the tongue...

Posted By: wwh Re: Something interesting - a fishy challenge - 02/25/01 02:31 PM
Dear Fiberbabe: My dictionary says eelpout are marine. Are they, like the lamprey, something that got into Great Lakes via the Welland Canal into Lake Erie?

"About, about, in reel and rout the eelpout danced at night"
Here on the borders of the Chesapeake we have a fish called the crappie. That should make for punny material.

BYB, is a crappie a small fish, circular of body if you look at it sideways, very thin and flat, yellowish in colour with a touch of green? Grows to about size of your palm.

We have a nuisance fish called Crapais Soleil. Sounds too similar.

Posted By: wwh Re: Something interesting - a fishy challenge - 02/26/01 11:24 PM
My dictionary says another name for crappie is sunfish. They typically have a small round dark spot behind the eye.
They are also called bluegills. I have never eaten them, so cannot say whether they taste crappy or not.

AH HA!!!

Soleil = sun

Puns, anyone?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Something interesting - a fishy challenge - 02/27/01 12:20 AM
[tinkling, airy music icon]

A long time ago, in a land far away, there was a rather poor young couple who had to work very hard to garner what
few belongings they owned. They had a small son, who was rather excitable. Quite often this excitability took the form of him doubling words that he said.

His parents, of necessity, taught him to take good care of all their things, because if something got ruined, they wouldn't be able to replace it for a long time, if ever.
Their most prized possession was the beautifully woven,
colorful carpet covering the floor in the main room.

One day the boy was playing with their dog, Nuku, in the main room. Suddenly, his father, whom he called Humu, was
startled by the boy rushing in and shouting,
"humuhumunukunukuapuaa"!

Posted By: wwh Re: Something interesting - a fishy challenge - 02/27/01 12:46 AM
Is that a shaggy fish story?

Posted By: Geoff Re: Something interesting - a fishy challenge - 02/27/01 01:15 AM
Suddenly, his father, whom he called Humu, was
startled by the boy

Did it scare the carp out of him?

BTW, I heard about the fallen angel fish who lost her hymenoptera when she was stung by a SeaBee. Shunned by her fellows therafter, she died an old hagfish.

Posted By: Geoff Re: Something interesting - a fishy challenge - 02/27/01 01:18 AM
Oh, yeah, I almost forgot - Carpe Diem has to do with eating fish daily.

Posted By: Geoff Re: Something interesting - a fishy challenge - 02/27/01 01:23 AM
Another oh, yeah - the Irish love fish, else we wouldn't have the legend of Fin McCool. And belMarduk, would you care to tell us about Les Dauphins? How did they become such princely sea critters?

Posted By: des Re: Something interesting - a fishy challenge - 02/27/01 02:22 AM
Crappie, Bluegill and Sunfish...Well I have caught all and eaten all as a child! Crappie is pronounced Croppie in Indiana. Bluegills are of the Sunfish family, probably the crappie, too. But "sunfish" stay small...probably get eaten by other fish. Bluegills swim in a circle as you "haul" them in on an old cane pole...or modern equipment. Fall is the time to Crappie fish. Summer great for the others. Nothing scientific here, just old timer experience! Here in the South all grow larger because of the climate of course. All full of little tiny bones!!!!
Bluegill meat is very sweetlike for a fish. Now you know more than you want to...I am sure!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Something interesting - a fishy challenge - 02/27/01 03:23 AM
>Crappie, Bluegill and Sunfish

known collectively, along with perch, as panfish?

Pan Fish

A Chesapeake fish called the crappie
Is a tasty and colourful chappie –
Though spotty, this fish
Makes a succulent dish,
But avoid the small bones to stay happy!

I believe his Canadian frère
Is no whit a less wondrous affair:
For a real tale to sing,
Fish a-head of the spring -
He’s less tasty soleil’d in the ear!

In Europe we don’t have the crappie;
And our fish, though pan-friendly, aren’t happy:
The scale of pollution
And nuclear ablution
Means “Every fin’s going down ill!”

crappie
To Bel and WWH, you are both correct. Except here they get a little larger -- maybe twice as large as your hand. And they are said to be quite good to eat; my son catches them all the time in the reservoir outside town. (Apparently, they are a fresh-water fish, as they are usually caught in streams, lakes or reservoirs, not in the Bay, which is brackish.)

Posted By: TEd Remington candiru - 03/03/01 01:20 AM
I dropped the Aussie marsupial into a vat of hot maple syrup. Voila. Candiru.

Posted By: TEd Remington alewife - 03/03/01 01:21 AM
I said to Peggy just the other day, Ale, wife, these guys seem to dislike my puns.

Posted By: TEd Remington eelpout - 03/03/01 01:23 AM
And she said to me, are you gonna spend all night on line or are you gonna eelp out around the eeouse.

Got a STRANGE accent on her, that one. North Carolina hills, you know.

© Wordsmith.org