Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm hogwash® rules(?) - 08/02/05 07:13 PM
Jackie, our red-letter gal, has asked me to repost the Rules of Hogwash so that she can pin them for newbies.

this is harder than it looks, since we have been running full-tilt-amok for quite some time since last any rules were posted; but I am going to paste them in here and try to edit out all of the blatant rulishness.

to start, the moderator/hogmaster® posts a [really] obscure word and asks for definitions to be submitted via PM, usually within a se'nnight (seven nights). at that point the submittals are grouped into a post and polling proceeds. voting usually continues until all of the contributors have had a chance to vote, or until polls are arbitrarily closed by the hogmaster.

Scoring..
Rule A is: the points don't matter

[someone asks] Do those of us who contributed daffynitions get to vote? I was confused on this point by the first round. One gets to in Balderdash.

yes, in the normal course of the game only the contributors would vote. we've liberalized the rules to let everyone participate. my interpretation [has been that contributor votes count for more than onlooker votes]. here are the rules again, as amended to date:

1. [points are] given to each player for every vote (or guess) his phony definition receives.
2. points are awarded to each player who chooses the true meaning.
3. points are given to the moderator only if none of the players choose the true meaning.
4. [no] points are awarded to any player who submits a definition which is similar or very close to the correct meaning [rather, the moderator shall request a resubmittal]
5. If two or more players submit a definition per rule 4 (in the judgment of the moderator), the round will be thrown out with no points scored (or the moderator can disqualify obvious attempts to sabotage the game :-Ž )
6. A player may vote for her own definition but scores points only for those others she can bluff into also voting for that definition.. (i.e., you can't get a rule 1 point [voting for your own def'n!])

scoring, such as it is with points not mattering, is virtually at the whim of the moderator/hogmaster® [see latest round, e.g.]. whinging to the hogmaster, while encouraged, has been shown to be completely ineffectual.

there have been several hogmasters over the years.

Posted By: Jackie Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 10/05/05 01:46 AM
up to the top again
Posted By: themilum Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 03/19/07 10:30 PM
Quote:
scoring, such as it is with points not mattering, is virtually at the whim of the moderator/hogmaster®

Sure thing, tsuwm, your nattering about not mattering is almost as as clear as Missisippi mud.

Why, I belittle myself to ask, can't we, the contestants, virtually score our own points?
Posted By: hogmaster Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 03/19/07 11:49 PM
Originally Posted By: themilum
Why, I belittle myself to ask, can't we, the contestants, virtually score our own points?

this is probly the easiest question ever, Milo.

without the (whimsical) scoring there'd be not much fun at all
for the hogmaster, I reckon.
Posted By: BranShea Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 03/20/07 05:44 AM
to start, the moderator/hogmaster® posts a [really] obscure word and asks for definitions to be submitted via PM, usually within a se'nnight (seven nights

tsuwm, this gave a misunderstanding for someone who played the last one. He waited to be asked by PM for to send in his daf.

Maybe it could be : Hogmaster gives obscure word and players are expected to sent in their definitions by PM. Meself also waited long because I was expecting a sign to be given. Then I thought : Come on send it in anyway. The word asks can give misunderstanding for new ones to the game.
Posted By: olly Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 03/20/07 10:32 AM
Also, no peeking...!
Posted By: JodyCT Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 04/30/07 10:54 AM
SO . . . is there a hogwash round goin on now?

I'm new to the group but this sounds a whole lot like the game "dictionary" that we used to play.
Posted By: Faldage Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 04/30/07 11:16 AM
Or either fictionary, one. I forget how we came to call it "hogwash." Welcome and got a word for us?
Posted By: JodyCT Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 04/30/07 11:32 AM
Well . . . I don't know what league I'm in. I myself am only a bushleaguer --- so this word might be too easy

plumbago
Posted By: BranShea Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 04/30/07 12:52 PM
Is a plant with pale blue little fowers.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 04/30/07 01:06 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Is a plant with pale blue little fowers.

remember that answers should sent in a Private Message to whomever is running the hogwash®, in this case JodyCT.
Posted By: BranShea Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 04/30/07 01:18 PM
Oh , sorry , I thought it was still in an informational stage and wanted to let JodyCT know that yeh, that's a real easy word.
Excuse me.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 04/30/07 01:18 PM
Bran, that's cool. no problem.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 04/30/07 02:41 PM
well, quoting P. 1 above, "to start, the moderator/hogmaster® posts a [really] obscure word." in the event, I don't think this places nearly enough emphasis on the word obscure, take a look at the list of previous words
Posted By: tsuwm Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 04/30/07 02:56 PM
btw, here's where the decision came down to call our version of the Dictionary Game hogwash®.

edit: this was round one(1!)'s results
Posted By: tsuwm Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 04/30/07 04:02 PM
it should also be noted that anyone can start a new round; but please do so with a New Topic, using hogwash and your proposed word in the Subject line.

we usually use an additional new thread for the list of definitions, and another for the results -- otherwise things just get too muddled, what with all the whinging and digressions, etc.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 04/30/07 04:41 PM
digressions? here?

never.
Posted By: Aramis Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 04/30/07 07:24 PM
Originally Posted By: hogmaster
Originally Posted By: themilum

this is probly the easiest question ever, Milo.

without the (whimsical) scoring there'd be not much fun at all
for the hogmaster, I reckon.

And, one might fail to add, some of us may become too smug.
Posted By: Curuinor Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 05/01/07 05:28 AM
Anyways, what about the people who actually do hogwashing? Are we not sullying their good names by degrading their names as such? Should we be forced into such meanness as the sarcasm mark for such supreme exemplars of fake lobbying?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 05/01/07 05:46 AM
well, the word always has had ought to do with washing hogs.

1. Worthless, false, or ridiculous speech or writing; nonsense. 2. Garbage fed to hogs; swill. [AHD]

-joe (as sarcastic as the last guy) friday
Posted By: BranShea Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 05/01/07 11:20 AM
Does 'wash' mean 'waste' , in hogwash?

To wash the hog I understood as ' to do a job ', that's what a saying: 'washing the hog' means here.

Let me wash this hog means : Let me do this job.
It felt like an encouragement to join that game. (--- yes, they are horrifying, but.....)
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 05/01/07 12:16 PM
from OneLook:

Quote:
hogwash
noun: unacceptable behavior (especially ludicrously false statements)

though I like Encarta's better: (especially definition 1)

Quote:
hog·wash

noun
Definition:

1. nonsense: worthless stuff or nonsense ( informal )
What a pile of hogwash!

2. pigswill: leftovers of food that are given to hogs to eat
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 05/01/07 12:34 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Does 'wash' mean 'waste' , in hogwash?

To wash the hog I understood as ' to do a job ', that's what a saying: 'washing the hog' means here.

Let me wash this hog means : Let me do this job.
It felt like an encouragement to join that game. (--- yes, they are horrifying, but.....)

Well, hogwash could also be expressed as 'bullshit.' What's the Dutch for that?
Posted By: BranShea Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 05/01/07 01:32 PM
' bullshit '

We have adopted the word in its original glory.
Posted By: Sneha Barve Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 07/15/08 05:37 AM
what is hogwash?
Posted By: The Pook Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 07/15/08 06:57 AM
 Originally Posted By: Sneha Barve
what is hogwash?

It's a game we play here. Before coming here I had not heard it called Hogwash but knew it simply as 'the dictionary game.' One person chooses a word from the dictionary that they think no one will know the meaning of, and then everyone else makes up spurious definitions (known as 'daffynitions'). All the pretend definitions and the real one are read out, and people vote for which they think is the real one. If someone votes for yours you get points, if no one votes for the real one, the person submitting that (known in this version of the game as the hogmaster, gets more points. If yu guess the right definition, you get a point (or two, or something).
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 08/04/09 05:31 PM
Thanks, pook, for making it far more clear than the previous
three pages.
Posted By: BranShea Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 08/04/09 05:58 PM
Ha! Now that you've understood it you can VOTE (and if by chance you happen to vote for mine you get 3 points 'hors concours' + .... ( just bribing ) laugh
Posted By: Diamond Gayle Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 06/18/10 10:04 AM
Wow, yes thanks Pook for clearing that up!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: hogwash® rules(?) - 06/18/10 03:23 PM
Welcome!
© Wordsmith.org