Wordsmith.org
Posted By: maverick Cutting remark! - 04/18/05 07:20 AM
Wendy's International Inc. doubled to $100,000 its offer for information explaining the origin of the mysterious finger a woman found in her chili last month. Sales are down at Wendy's restaurants in the San Jose, CA area where the incident took place, forcing some managers to severely cut staff.

http://www.slate.com/id/2116868/fr/nl/

Posted By: Faldage Re: Cutting remark! - 04/18/05 10:02 AM
Not to ignore any sarcastic humor, but snopes has uncovered more information about the discoverer of the thumb.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chili.asp

Posted By: maverick Re: con carnage - 04/18/05 10:19 AM
She may have been fingered as a cereal litigator, but they still haven't nailed the Wendy perp!

Posted By: Saranita Re: con carnage - 04/18/05 02:00 PM
Personally, I've always enjoyed finger foods....

saranita
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: con carnage - 04/18/05 05:43 PM
Didn't anyone ever tell Wendy's that chili shouldn't be eaten with the fingers? The fingers should ALWAYS be eaten separately (probably on toast points).

Posted By: inselpeter Re: con carnage - 04/18/05 05:57 PM
Reminds me, I've always found the name "chicken fingers" particularly, well, let's say 'untempting.'

Posted By: TEd Remington haven't nailed the Wendy perp - 04/18/05 07:34 PM
Fingerprint experts have been quoted as saying they'll give it a whorl.

Posted By: TEd Remington still haven't nailed the Wendy perp! - 04/18/05 07:42 PM
Detectives, on the other hand (so to speak), are discouraged as they are not getting any where near as many tips as they expected.

One, who asked not to be identified, said they are asking a group of moyels for help with gathering more tips.

Of course, modern crime detection is much better because there are more digital tools available.

"Sooner or later," said the detective, "we're gonna nail this one. Hopefully we won't have to deal with any toesed salads. Thumb thing'th gonna break."

Posted By: GallantTed Re: still haven't nailed the Wendy perp! - 04/18/05 10:11 PM
Howye fokes

If some of ye have problems eaten chicken fingers, I won't recommend the fish ball at Slasher's Bar (and Grill).

Be seein ya

GallantTed

Posted By: of troy moyels and other stories. - 04/18/05 10:40 PM
did you ever hear about the moyel who saved all his 'tips' in a jar? when he retired, he took them to a leather tooler, and ask, "make me something"

weeks went by, months even.. finally the the leather tooler called the moyel, and said "its ready"

the leather tooler brought out a fancy box, and nestled in tissue paper was a small wallet.

the moyel looked a the wallet, and said "this? for my life's work? This-for months i have been waiting, for this?"

the leather tooler, looked a the moyel, and explained--"rub it.. it becomes a suitcase!"

Posted By: inselpeter Re: moyels and other stories. - 04/18/05 10:46 PM
<<rub it...it becomes a suitcase>>

But does it reach your destination with you or before you?

Come again?

I couldn't possibly.

Posted By: dxb Re: moyels and other stories. - 04/19/05 12:19 PM
Well, hopefully someone understands all that! What the blazes is a 'moyel'? Maybe, if I knew that...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: moyels and other stories. - 04/19/05 12:22 PM
You tried looking it up, dixbie? [/run away]

Posted By: dxb Re: moyels and other stories. - 04/19/05 12:29 PM
Nah. Too incensed. Maybe later! (Is it really a word? Sounds like a mushroom with a lisp)

Posted By: Saranita Re: con carnage - 04/19/05 12:34 PM
This stuff is great! (The posts, not the chili, though I've wondered if Wendy's will eventually finger the woman for a false claim.) And speaking of chicken, if anyone has read "Empire Falls" by Richard Russo (or even if you haven't), he and his daughter share what they call "Empire moments" where they look for questionable wording in local signs and publications. I recall one example the daughter had spied in front of a restaurant: "Chicken smothered in barbecue sauce." Simply wringing its neck must have been ruled a bad idea.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: moyel - 04/19/05 12:34 PM
A moyel (which I know as "mohel") is yiddish, or perhaps Hebrew, for the fellow who makes his dime circumcising Jewish males.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: con carnage - 04/19/05 12:38 PM
To return to topic, for many years, across from the Port Chester, NY train station there stood a signed establishment called "Little Dick's Hotel." And, who knows but it isn't still there.

Posted By: TEd Remington "Little Dick's Hotel." - 04/19/05 02:14 PM
is run by a moyel.

Posted By: Dgeigh Re: "Little Dick's Hotel." - 04/20/05 02:55 AM
And I hear it has all of the latest luxuries. Each room has a wireless laptop, a 6.1 surround sound, wide-screen high-definition TV, auto-flush toilets, lights that automatically switch off if nothing triggers a motion sensor in the room for a certain amount of time, et al. It’s really on the foreskin of technology.

I was hoping to remain above all the genitalia jokes, but apparently I am a weak, weak man.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: "Little Dick's Hotel." - 04/20/05 09:39 AM
And it's a high-rise too.

Posted By: dxb Re: "Little Dick's Hotel." - 04/20/05 11:09 AM
Straight up?

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: "Little Dick's Hotel." - 04/20/05 12:22 PM
Yes, and every New Year's Little Dick's has a very popular New Year's Eve dance and a "hangover dance" on New Year's Night, not nearly so well attended. The ballroom is called the "Devizes" room because the balls are of different sizes....

Posted By: TEd Remington Straigth up? - 04/20/05 02:31 PM
No. On the rocks. Masochists might like a little twist.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic ! - 04/20/05 02:59 PM
Would you people please get a grip on yourselves?!

Posted By: inselpeter Re: what have I wrought? - 04/20/05 06:34 PM
I thought it would be proper to send the management a digest all the commentary. But I googled it, and, apparently, the hotel has gone the way of Texas Chili, another celebrated Port Chester establishment. It sold chili and green and red 'juice' (that's two kinds, not stripes), and was next to the firehouse. Or should have been: the chili itself was banned under the Geneva Conventions.

Posted By: maverick Re: At their fingertips - 04/22/05 08:35 AM
Meanwhile, keeping our finger on the pulse of the Wendy house story...

Wendy's has offered a $100,000 reward and has a team of private investigators running a tip line 10 hours a day.

But they’re not just leaving their fate in others’ hands…

Next month, Wendy's will introduce a new premium deli sandwich, also in the Bay Area.

Presumably advertised as their new range of finger-food.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/22/business/22wendys.html

Posted By: inselpeter Re: At their fingertips - 04/22/05 11:22 AM
The caption in the NY Times article (Mav's post) does not say that the other part of the woman's finger wasn't connected to her hand.

Posted By: TEd Remington This just in - 04/22/05 11:23 AM
I saw on CNN a couple of minutes ago that police in Las Vegas have arrested the woman who fingered Wendy's, or whom Wendy's fingered, depending on your point of view.

No reason for arrest, but the police will hold a news conference in a bit.

Posted By: maverick Re: This just in - 04/22/05 03:03 PM
> in a bit

What a nail-biter...

Posted By: Capfka Re: This just in - 04/22/05 08:00 PM
>Next month, Wendy's will introduce a new premium deli sandwich, also in the Bay Area.

>Presumably advertised as their new range of finger-food.

umm, surely it would have to be advertised as their range of new finger food? One just wouldn't go all that far ...

Posted By: maverick Re: handy tips - 04/23/05 02:15 PM
yeahbut the beauty of it is that they only hafta supply the roll and salad, with specially shaped finger-holes for customers to insert their own digits. Is this what is meant by the digital divide...?

Posted By: Saranita Re: handy tips - 04/23/05 05:08 PM
If this board were in print, I'd say something about how much fun it has been to thumb through your posts. But it isn't in print, so instead I'll ask a related question that pops into my head occasionally. Is there a web site that offers a search for well-known words and phrases that relate to each other? I find myself wondering about this when I hear radio and TV ads that use the kind of wordplay y'all are employing so well here with regard to the Wendy's incident. For example, a radio ad campaign for Giant Eagle, a grocery store chain, is playing on the word "lower" in this way: the voice tells how their brand of canned beans that usually costs $_ has now been lowered to $_. She rattles off about three such legitimate examples, then says that their Thousand Island Dressing has now been lowered to 900 Island Dressing, or that the store manager says he has gotten his ears lowered but that it's really only his haircut. So I wondered if advertising folks have sites to search easily online for useful word connections to make their jobs easier.

Posted By: Capfka Re: handy tips - 04/25/05 10:52 AM
So I wondered if advertising folks have sites to search easily online for useful word connections to make their jobs easier.

Hardly. They simply come and plagiarise us!

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: handy tips - 04/25/05 01:08 PM
They simply come and plagiarise us!

So does this mean we should get a cut?

Posted By: maverick Re: handy tips - 04/25/05 01:25 PM
They could at least tip generously.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: handy tips - 04/25/05 02:00 PM
Or praise expansively

Posted By: Capfka Re: handy tips - 04/25/05 03:51 PM
Or maybe just knuckle under ...

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: handy tips - 04/25/05 04:20 PM
And they can always say they never met a carpal tunneler they didn't like.

And those that don't go to clip joints will know about PIP and MIP joints, right, Dr. Bill?

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: handy tips - 04/26/05 01:35 AM
Believe it or not it's usually DIP (for Distal), rather than MIP. Which is only right (paraphrasing Curly, from Oklahoma!) -- think how much more you can do with "dip"!

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: handy tips - 04/26/05 05:02 AM
wofa:

About an hour after I posted that I realized I'd done a typo, but my mental note to myself to go back and edit it went right into the bit bucket. Of ocurse the words are distal interphalangeal and proximal interphalangeal.

Sorry.

TEd

Posted By: Faldage Re: handy tips - 04/26/05 09:33 AM
You're a PIP, TEd.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: handy tips - 04/26/05 10:11 AM
Did you hear the one about the chili-maker who worked at Wendys for free? ... He only took tips

Posted By: Faldage Re: handy tips - 04/26/05 10:45 AM
What's amazing is that Wendy's remains the butt of the jokes.

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: handy tips - 04/26/05 10:58 AM
What's amazing is that Wendy's remains the butt of the jokes.

True - but(t) they're an easy target...did I mishear, or was there something on one of the news reports that said the finger had actually been bitten off by a leopard? It was one of those moments when I was absorbed in something else, and the report flipped by and then my brain caught up with my ears, but it was too late. Or maybe I need my meds adjusted.

Posted By: TEd Remington bitten off by a leopard? - 04/26/05 11:35 AM
So, they spotted the culprit, huh?

Posted By: Alex Williams Culprit spotted in Wendy's Chili Caper - 04/26/05 12:35 PM
Authorities fingered a spotted leopard at the San Diego Zoo yesterday in the current Wendy's chili scandal, according to a press release issued by fast food conglomerate Wendy's. Digital photos of the offending feline were distributed to a phalanx of reporters along with the press release. The carnivorous cat, a 5 year old male named Mano, was interviewed from behind bars and asked why he had done it. The cat paused and said, "I blame society," and then added, "but it was finger-licking good." Cat handlers at the zoo dismissed the leopard's excuse as mere finger-pointing, saying that Mano was "always looking for a hand out" and that he always had some spotty tale to explain his actions.

I really oughta know better than to hand you people an opening like that. And I should have pawsed before pointing the finger at that poor critter. If this goes to court, I'll bet his lawyers knuckle under and the leopard'll get the thumbs-down and spend time in the joint.

well, in this phalanx who knows what will happen...

Posted By: musick Cat on a hot tin roof - 04/26/05 04:16 PM
The cat paused and...

You had your chance.

That's what I'm talking about, Elizabeth!
Well, some of us are more talon-TEd than others. But I'm certain there's a clause in the Constitution that will get that cat off. It be-hooves his attorney to try anyway.

No more cuticle remarks, I promise. Well, not promise, per se, but maybe I can lull you into a false sense of security.

Quick! Or I'll think of another.

Oh, Lord. Doesn;t anyone have anything that'll give a manicure for paronomasia (other than a gun and one bullet?)

You had your chance.

*sigh*