Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Rapunzel Heart-to-heart - 02/13/01 09:30 PM
In honor of Valentine's Day, how about some expressions with a heart? For instance,

She wears her heart on her sleeve
I don't have the heart to say no
He has a heart of ice

And etc. Anybody?

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/13/01 10:00 PM
Lion-hearted
Heart of gold
Heart of stone
Heart in hand
Straight to the heart
Heart-Hands-Head-Health (4H, if I remember correctly)
...and as an afterthought...
Be still my beating heart!

Posted By: wow Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/14/01 12:00 AM
For Valentine's Day ...
Songs, sayings, etc.

"Heart of My Heart" how I love that melody.
"I Lost My Heart in San Francisco"
Hearts afire !
Heart felt sympathy.
Pure of heart.
Don't eat your heart out.
Faint heart ne'er won fair lady.
Sick at heart.
"My heart is in the Highlands."
Heavy heart.
Nice having this heart to heart.
(A nice red heart icon here {if we had one} to you all)

wow

Posted By: Geoff Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/14/01 12:39 AM
I left my heart in San Francisco - and my liver in Milwaukee

"The heart has its reasons that reason alone can never understand" Descartes

"It is only with the heart that one sees clearly; what is essential is invisible to the eyes." St-Exupery

Posted By: Geoff Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/14/01 12:44 AM
Rapunzel, your bio says you like talking to your ducks and chickens. What, no rabbit? With a handle like Rapunzel, I'd expect a lanky bunny, so people could say, "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your long hare."

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/14/01 03:29 AM
well, since we're doing song titles (and in the true spirit of the day): "You Done Tore Out My Heart And Stomped That Sucker Flat"

Posted By: spelchkr Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/14/01 04:31 AM
"Villains, I shrieked, dissemble no more....." E. A. Poe, The Telltale Heart
Oh, that incessant beating, whenever will it cease? Cupids unfailing arrows will certainly inflame many on the morrow but mine is claimed and chained and safed as surely as if my love had rent my chest asunder and hid that pulsing mass neath the floor of her soul.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/14/01 01:06 PM
My heart's not in it
I haven't the heart

Happy Valentine's Day to all. [proffering chocolate bon bon emoticon]

Posted By: of troy Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/14/01 01:10 PM
Well i can be hard-hearted, but my heart melts for a ballad--

there is one an old (14th century) french one (bel please help if you know the french) the Chant d'amour i think
"the songs of love, they fill my heart with joy
the songs of love will last my whole life long.."

the traditional tune was modified slightly, and used by the King, (Elvis) for "Fools rush in, where wise men fear to go"

Posted By: Faldage Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/14/01 01:44 PM
The heart of a Fool is in his mouth, but the mouth of a wise man is in his heart.

--Benjamin Franklin. ...

Posted By: Geoff Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/14/01 02:18 PM
I am reminded of the greeting gesture, which I have not seen in many years, wherein one touches one's head, mouth, and chest, implying, "all that I think, and all that I say, comes from the heart."

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/14/01 02:56 PM
Geoff writes:

I am reminded of the greeting gesture, which I have not seen in many years, wherein one touches one's head, mouth, and chest, implying, "all that I think, and all that I say, comes from the heart."

i've never seen this greeting, but it sounds quite a bit like what we Catholics do prior to the reading of the Holy Gospels.... we use our right thumb to genuflect first at our forehead, then our mouth, then our heart. i'm sure there must be a name for this, but it escapes me. anyone??

Posted By: wow Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/14/01 02:58 PM
From Geof : I am reminded of the greeting gesture, which I have not seen in many years, wherein one touches one's head, mouth, and chest, implying, "all that I think, and all that I say, comes from the heart."

Isn't that the traditional Muslim (Arabic?) greeting?

Re genuflection : we were taught (in the dear dead days beyond recall) that one went down on the right knee before God as personified in the host which was housed in the tabernacle of the altar ... and the down on the left knee for all secular persons like Kings, Cardinals et.al.
The genuflection was de rigeur when one came into church, generally performed just before entering a pew. This caused some discombobulation when those of another religion followed a Catholic friend into a Roman Catholic church and nearly tripped over the person when the Catholic suddenly dropped to one knee !
wow

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/14/01 03:20 PM
it sounds quite a bit like what we Catholics do prior to the reading of the Holy Gospels...

This brings back the image for me of going to the Buddhist temples in Korea, and watching the particularly devout performing ritual bows in altar pavilions ~ hands in "prayer position" (palms together, fingers up) and tapping the thumbs to the forehead, the chin, and the sternum (close enough to the heart for me). I guess I never really thought of it in Geoff's terms, "all that I think, and all that I say, comes from the heart", but I like that. I always regarded it as a thoughtful, sincere gesture anyway. Now you've given me words to put to it. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart.

Posted By: Geoff Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/14/01 09:48 PM
I guess I never really thought of it in Geoff's terms, "all that I
think, and all that I say, comes from the heart", but I like that. I always regarded it as a thoughtful, sincere gesture anyway.
Now you've given me words to put to it. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart.

It warms the cockles of my heart to know I've enlightened you, FB! The meaning of the gesture was told to me by an Egyptian friend about thirty-five years ago, when we weren't supposed to have Egyptian friends.

Posted By: des Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/15/01 12:40 AM
Cross my heart
Big hearted

Posted By: paulb Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/15/01 06:55 AM
Hi Helen: Back to the sheet music again!

Fools rush in (1940); music by Rube Bloom; words by Johnny Mercer.

Whoever wrote the tune -- it's a 'lulu'.

Posted By: paulb Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/15/01 07:04 AM
And now that Valentine's Day is safely passed, y'all remember Tom Lehrer's "My heart is in my hand -- Urrgh!!! [or similar]"

Posted By: lusy Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/15/01 10:16 AM
Kiss me hearty!

lusy
Posted By: wow Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/15/01 01:19 PM
And now that Valentine's Day is safely passed,
-------------------------------------------------
Paulb
Is that a kiss off?
wow

Posted By: maverick Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/15/01 02:45 PM
Valentine's Day is safely passed...

That's what they used to say....

Thus began a great purification ritual. Dressing only in the skins of the newly sacrificed goats, the priests ran about the foot of the Palatine… a major part of this rite was the lustration (light flogging or whipping) of citizens by means of goatskin strips, called februa. Anyone the priests encountered on their trek received a smack with these bloody hides. It was the women, however, who got most of the attention…

http://latin.about.com/library/weekly/aa021401a.htm

(and yes, Jackie, they were fresh out of goat skins in Cardigan, so I had to just get her flowers )

Posted By: BeingCJ Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/15/01 07:16 PM
I read on another site a few days ago that this week was International Flirting Week. That seems more fun.

CJ
Posted By: francais31415 Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/15/01 11:05 PM
disheartening
take heart

Posted By: Geoff Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/15/01 11:59 PM
disheartening
take heart

That's happening more and more, as organ donors are in short supply.

Posted By: francais31415 Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/16/01 12:24 AM
That one made me laugh out loud - briefly but heartily!

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/16/01 10:50 AM
> That's happening more and more, as organ donors are in short supply

You didn't happen to read about those cases in Britain did you (I read it in Times). There's been a massive uproar concerning the hospital workers extracting organs from deceased patients (or PC its: negative-patient-output).
Apparently some are robbed of so much, that which is buried is little more than a shell of their former (physical) self. Those heartless swines!

Posted By: maverick Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/16/01 11:44 AM
those heartless swines!

Then there are the 'lucky' transgenic pigs - how did they get them to sign those Organ Donor cards?

But you can imagine how it might happen: "Pork chops - ME?! - a sentient warm loving creature! Come on, now - have a heart!"

Posted By: Geoff Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/16/01 01:28 PM
But you can imagine how it might happen: "Pork chops - ME?! - a sentient warm loving creature! Come on, now - have a heart!"

Oh, Mav, you've been at the video store renting "Babe" again, haven't you?

Posted By: maverick Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/16/01 01:32 PM
"Babe" again

Nope. Used to keep pigs - the most intelligent animals I have ever encountered. Some humans gets close, but...

Posted By: wwh Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/16/01 03:27 PM
Sometimes it was hard to tell the swineherd from the swine. My father made a house visit to such an establishment, and the son of the patient felt it necessary to tell my father, "Pa's down yonder, You'll know him, he's got his hat on."

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/16/01 04:12 PM
Swine resemblance
My wife's aunt's third husband was a steel worker whose nickname was Lump-Lump. Lump was a large, heavy porcine individual who could be a lot of fun, but who was a dubious character most of the time.

On one famous occasion, he and a friend of his, named Louie, drove out to the country to see a mutual friend about some project or another, and as they were leaving, they noted a good-sized pig in an enclosure some distance from the house. Louie proposed to Lump that, since they couldn't be seen from the house, they should steal the pig. Lump was all for it, but the problem was how to transport it, since they were driving an ordinary sedan. They finally figured out that the only way they could get the pig into the car was to push it into the front seat between them (this was in the 50's and the car had the then-standard bench seat that went all the way across the front). They succeeded in getting the pig into the car and drove off.

As they were going down the road, at a fairly good clip so they could get the pig home before its absence was discovered, a police car came up behind them, lights flashing. Louie and Lump, not wanting to be found with a stolen pig, had to think fast what to do. Louie grabbed a blanket which was in the back seat and wrapped it around the pig's neck, and Lump grabbed his hat and jammed it down on the pig's head. The officer came up to the side of the car and asked to see Lump's license. After looking it over and telling Lump he was going a bit fast but he wasn't going to give him a ticket, he asked Lump, "Is that your brother on the seat beside you?" Lump replied that it was and he was feeling poorly and they were taking him home. The cop left, and they drove off, with Louie laughing so hard (he almost had a stroke trying not to laugh while the cop was within hearing range) that Lump had a hard time keeping the car on the road. Lump was so furious at being taken for the pig's brother that he stopped first chance he got and made Louie help him dump the pig in the field beside the road. He never lived down his familial resemblance.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/18/01 09:55 PM
"You Done Tore Out My Heart And Stomped That Sucker Flat"

(from memory)

You done tore out my heart
and stomped that sucker flat.
Darlin', you just sorta,
Mashed on my aorta.
You started steppin' out with other guys.
I played the part
Of a lovesick lonesome fool
Who got squashed upon his heart.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Heart-to-heart - 02/18/01 11:11 PM
How about getting to the heart and soul of the matter.

Posted By: Jackie Riposte to Father Steve - 02/19/01 03:05 AM
(from memory, of course!)
[music note icon]
Well, the race is on,
and here comes Cryin' up the backstretch,
Heartache a-goin' to the inside;
My Tears a-holdin' back, tryin' not to fall;
My Heart's out of the runnin',
True Love('s back?) for another day.
Well the race is on and it looks like Heartache,
and the winner loses all.
[music note icon]