Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu ya scurvy bilge rat - 09/19/04 10:12 AM
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

'tis the day, me hearties!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: ya scurvy bilge rat - 09/19/04 03:25 PM
Arrrr!

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: ya scurvy bilge rat - 09/20/04 07:14 AM
You are aware, are you not, that the Penns had to emmigrateto the New World after a scandal involving two of William Penn the elder's little old lady spinster aunts? Seems that there was a serious shortage of steak and kidney pie (though to my mind having one in the world is more than enough), and the prices were sky high.

So these two little old ladies began turning out this horribloe "confection" by the dozen and selling them at reduced rates, a trade that was certainly beneath the dignity of the upper class. But they kept right on, making more pies and cutting the prices. Pretty soon everyone was talking about the pie rates of Penn's aunts.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: ya scurvy bilge rat - 09/20/04 09:21 AM
time to walk the plank, ye poor wandrin' one!

Posted By: Faldage Re: ya scurvy bilge rat - 09/20/04 11:25 AM
I started to read that one and got halfway through when something started to smell funny, so I looked over to see who had posted it.

Boy, howdy! Never seen a better proof of the old adage, the price of vigilance is eternal liberty.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: aye, aye... - 09/20/04 12:46 PM
Fald, you are the very model...

Posted By: dxb Re: aye, aye... - 09/20/04 02:08 PM
He answers hard acrostics, he's a pretty taste for paradox

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: aye, aye... - 09/20/04 02:33 PM
He answers hard acrostics, he's a pretty taste for paradox

He doesn't have much time for puns but likes wordplay unorthodox

Posted By: dxb Re: aye, aye... - 09/20/04 02:52 PM
Neatly capped!

Posted By: belMarduk Re: aye, aye... - 09/20/04 04:03 PM
I'm thinking I should have told Hubby in advance that it was "talk like a pirate day" before jumping onto the bed last night and yelling, "Avast ye matey!" "Arrr, show us a little bit of ye gang-plank." "Arrrr"

Posted By: dxb Re: aye, aye... - 09/20/04 04:08 PM
The mind boggles!

Posted By: belMarduk Re: aye, aye... - 09/20/04 04:12 PM
Aye matey. Blew the wind right outta my sails 'e did, with "Have you lost your mind!?!"

Posted By: jheem Re: ya scurvy bilge rat - 09/20/04 04:35 PM
Pirates, no doubt, spoke in a way that helped to identify them as pirates, as if the raping and pilaging wasn't enough, but I wonder where the stage dialect of "Ahoy, and argh, me maties" arose? In Treasure Island? As far as I remember, many pirates did not even speak English, King's or buccaneers'. How do pirates speak in other languages, say French, Spanish, or Portuguese? I almost remember the Tunisian pirates in Candide speaking French quite well. Vikings were considered pirates, too. Old Norse pirates? Latin pirata < Greek peirate:s < peirao: 'to attempt, try'; cf. English fear and Latin periculum 'danger'.

Posted By: Faldage Re: aye, aye... - 09/20/04 09:25 PM
Thank yuh, thank yuh.

© Wordsmith.org