Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind jury rig - 08/27/04 04:17 PM
I know you all know the term 'jury rig' (and sometimes 'jerry rig') for making a quick, temporary repair.

Well, I was just surprised to read of other applications of quick repairs:

jury mast (to repair a broken mast with a temporary replacement)

and:

jury rudder (You can figure that one out.)

However:

jury wheel...didn't follow suit. It was a simply a wheel with names of potential jurors from which random names were taken after spinning the wheel.

Posted By: jheem Re: jury rig - 08/27/04 04:30 PM
Interesting. The two juries are different. The 12 peers jury is from Anglo-Norman juree, past particple of jurer 'to swear' < Latin juro < jus (juris) 'law'. The temporary jury may be from ajurie 'help' < aider 'to help'. So, tha latter would be an example of word modified because of faulty morphological analysis, like (n)apron and (n)adder.

Posted By: Owlbow jury rig - 08/27/04 04:35 PM
not the same as a rigged jury

Posted By: Wordwind Re: jury rig - 08/27/04 05:41 PM
...and a synonym for jury rigging:

to bushel

I've never heard of anyone's busheling an object, but this is a verb for patchy repairs that's apparently been around for quite a while. Have any of you here ever busheled anything and referred to the act as such?

Posted By: grapho Re: jury rig - 08/29/04 12:14 AM
jury wheel...didn't follow suit.

The jury wheel always follows the suit, Wordwind.

If you can't settle the suit, you need a judge and jury to decide it.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: jury rig - 08/29/04 12:21 AM
Meant the other suit, grapho--the suit of things to be repaired. Course reparations in court are protocol, hmmm...

Posted By: grapho Re: jury rig - 08/29/04 01:09 AM
re "meant the other suit, grapho"

Know you did, Wordwind. I was just ribbin' your riggin'. Guess I should have put a after my comment.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: jury rig - 08/29/04 09:50 AM
Oh, I'd taken your comment with a smile. I should have peppered my own with them, too.This place has its limitations.

Posted By: grapho Re: jury rig - 08/29/04 11:36 AM
Meant the other suit, grapho--the suit of things to be repaired.

Actually, you meant the 4 card suit, Wordwind, not the lawsuit and not the suit in need of amendment.

Nor were you thinking of the lover's suit which too often, like a suit first seen on a mannequin, falls short of expectations.

No, you were thinking of the 4 card suit, Wordwind, and the rules of Bridge which prescribe that each player follow suit.

Which raises another question not unrelated to the subject of the "under the radar" thread. How many expressions in common use, aptly employed by virtually everyone in everyday speech, have a provenance which is totally lost on the people who use them?

For instance, how many people who use the expression "follow suit" have ever played Bridge?

And, more important, how has this liberation from the original idea which inspired the expression taken human ingenuity to heights, and into directions, not possible absent the untethering?

How many innovations were spawned by an incomplete or incorrect understanding of the science which spawned them, or by the possibilities implicit in the metaphoric use of a single word, or even by a mispronunciation, or a typo, which caused some listener or reader to think hard on the unintended puzzlement and glimpse something new and serendipitous.

This takes us all the way back to Amemeba's "Cro-magnon" theory of words.

Perhaps Amemeba meant that words facilitate, like tools, and certainly that is true, but words also have the power to project things otherwise beyond understanding, purposefully and adroitly, in the hands of a poet, but, likely as often, without glamor or glory, by pure happenstance.

Posted By: amemeba Re: jury rig - 08/29/04 09:35 PM
Perhaps Amemeba meant that words facilitate, like tools, and certainly that is true, but words also have the power to project things otherwise beyond understanding, purposefully and adroitly, in the hands of a poet, but, likely as often, without glamor or glory, by pure happenstance.

Ah yes, grapho, you approach understanding why the words of poetry are necessarily fuzzy. The words of poetry must transend conventional meanings in order to give the reader of the poem ample latitude to adapt the meaning of the poem to suit* his own unique insight into the nature of things.

But first the reader must respect the poet enough to make himself look long and hard for the reader's own particular meaning.

* suit. Used to keep in theme.

Posted By: grapho Re: jury rig - 08/29/04 10:10 PM
you approach understanding why the words of poetry are necessarily fuzzy

Which is why the future of a word is more important than its past, Amemeba. One scours the past, but forges the future.

If I "approach" understanding of this, or anything else, it is probably as close as I will ever get ... or anyone else for that matter.

But Picasso makes better reply than I [and he was not famed for his poetry]:

"We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth, at least the truth that is given to us to understand."

Posted By: amemeba Re: jury rig - 08/30/04 12:18 AM
Which is why the future of a word is more important than its past, Amemeba. One scours the past, but forges the future.

Amend, grapho. Our understanding of the meanings of our words is critical to our survival as a species. Words alone have the merit of a rare sparkling jewel hidden away in the absolute blackness of the deepest ocean floor...never seen.

If I "approach" understanding of this, or anything else, it is probably as close as I will ever get ... or anyone else for that matter.

I dunno grapho, you come pretty close to understanding by this use of Picasso as an example...

But Picasso makes better reply than I [and he was not famed for his poetry]:

"We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth, at least the truth that is given to us to understand."

However, grapho, I must subtract points for your failure to recognize that Picasso is a poet. You must understand that people are what they do, and are not what manner or medium they do them in, that classification is only for lawyers and tax purposes. So go now to the drawing room of your house and stop and take a long look at that Picasso hanging on your wall. Now tell me...is Picasso not a poet?

And like most poets Picasso was also a homespun philosopher, albeit a poor one. Art is not a lie nor is art a truth, art is only an unspoken observation about life that passes between the artist and another human being, and neither of either observation has to be the same as the other one.

Posted By: grapho Re: jury rig - 08/30/04 10:52 AM
I must subtract points for your failure to recognize that Picasso is a poet.

It seems we are closer to an understanding than you know, Amemeba.

I did not say Picasso is not a poet. I said "Picasso is not famed as a poet".

Picasso's art overshadowed his poetry, as well as his home-spun philosophy.

And, yes, I agree there is poetry in Picasso's art, but little of it makes its way into poetry books.

It seems we will simply have to agree to agree, Amemeba, as fatal as that may be to the future of our discourse.

BTW the "home-spun philosophy" of a genuine genius is at home anywhere in the world. I'm sure you will agree.
Posted By: amemeba Re: jury rig - 09/02/04 02:00 AM
It seems we will simply have to agree to agree, Amemeba, as fatal as that may be to the future of our discourse.

Never. I will not agree to agree. I will not agree to disagree. I will not even disagree to disagree. Agreeing and disagreeing is not what made this country great. If our forefathers had went about willy nilly agreeing and disagreeing about this and that, today we would still be drinking over-priced tea and powdering King George's dancing wig.

Posted By: jheem Re: rigging vengence - 09/02/04 12:16 PM
If our forefathers had went about willy nilly agreeing and disagreeing about this and that, today we would still be drinking over-priced tea and powdering King George's dancing wig.

Just like in Canada? Sheesh, but I noticed that you omitted "I will not disagree to agree." ...

"Do you, in fact, have some apples in that bag?"

Posted By: grapho Re: jury rig - 09/02/04 03:27 PM
Never. I will not agree to agree. I will not agree to disagree. I will not even disagree to disagree.

There is nothing quite so disagreeable to a gadfly as the tyranny of agreeability, Amemeba.

And nothing which provides more fodder for a gadfly's satire either.

This is not the the end of our disagreement, Amemeba. Nor even the beginning of the end of our disagreement. But it may be the end of the beginning of our disagreement.

Posted By: grapho Re: jury rig - 09/03/04 01:58 PM
"This is not the end of our disagreement nor the beginning of the end ..."

BTW do you agree that George W. is the equal of Winston Churchill [whether or not you admire his war-time leadership]?

Posted By: amemeba Re: jury rig - 09/03/04 03:36 PM
... do you agree that George W. is the equal of Winston Churchill [whether or not you admire his war-time leadership]?

No! Winston Churchill merely saved the free world from enslavement while George W.and Jefferson and Franklin and Madison gave the world a scattering of free societies so that these societies so given could be saved from tyrants, fanitacial True Believers, and madmen, by brave and exceptionaly rare men...

...like Winston Churchill and President George W Bush.

Now do you understand?

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: jury rig - 09/03/04 08:28 PM
>do you agree that George W. is the equal of Winston Churchill

Naah. Churchill could hold his liquor. He could also speak English and did not think that a sentence was something you wanted suspended when you got convicted of drunken driving.

Posted By: grapho Re: jury rig - 09/03/04 08:50 PM
"Naah. Churchill could hold his liquor" and the rest of your "sentence".

I have a feeling that Amemeba is going to disagree with you, TED Rem, but at least she will enjoy your wit.

re "Churchill could hold his liquor". Some might dispute that.

A "Lady" of some bearing accosted Churchill at a social event.

"Sir Winston, you're drunk!"

"True", replied Churchill. "I'm drunk but you're ugly. And tomorrow I'll be sober."

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: jury rig - 09/03/04 08:59 PM
And tomorrow I'll be sober."

And Dubya wouldn't hvae been (sober that is).

Posted By: amemeba Re: jury rig - 09/04/04 12:07 AM
I have a feeling that Amemeba is going to disagree with you, TED Rem, but at least she will enjoy your wit.

Stop it , grapho, will you please stop sweet talking me into tilts at the windmills of your choosing?
Dear me, must a lady aways be leery of silver-tongued men?

And as for you Mister Remington...

It is an established scientific fact that the best of wisdom springs from the uninhibbited minds and mouths of those who just happen to be drunk.

So tonight let us try a simple experiment...

After hanging up this post, I will then proceed to get drunk.
If, and then after, I am successful, I will write something witty, wise, and profound, and post this information later tonight here on this thread as a case-in-point.

Posted By: grapho Re: jury rig - 09/04/04 12:30 AM
After hanging up this post, I will then proceed to get drunk. [Then] I will write something witty, wise and profound ... and post [it] here on this thread as a case-in-point.

If it's going to take a whole case to get the job done, I'm sorry I can't wait up. But I'll read your intoxicatechism in the morning.

Posted By: grapho Re: jerry rig - 09/04/04 01:03 AM
Dear me, must a lady aways be leery of silver-tongued men?

What's up, Amemeba. A week ago, you were talking about being a "good boy" who didn't start "dating girls" until the age of 23.

Did that Rabbit Tobacco bend your gender or just your mind?

Posted By: Faldage Re: jury rig - 09/04/04 12:46 PM
I will write something witty, wise, and profound

I am reminded of the story told in A Child's Garden of Grass. It wasn't told about being drunk, but the principle's the same:

A certain fellow had a habit of waking up the morning after a good drunk remembering that he had understood the Secret of the Universe, but he could never quite remember it in the morning. One night, as he was polishing off a bottle of half-way decent Scotch, the Secret came to him and he wrote it down on a note pad he had left for this very purpose. The next morning he remembered that he had written the Secret down and, what is more important, he remembered where the note pad was. He hurried off the sofa, got the note pad and read the momentous words:

Something smells funny in here.

Posted By: grapho Re: jury rig - 09/04/04 01:11 PM
Something smells funny in here.

Good one, Faldage.

Was it himself he was smelling?

Posted By: amemeba Re: jerry rig - 09/04/04 02:11 PM
Good morning.

I awoke dejava from a sleep on the hard floor under my computer desk and logged on reluctantly to the harsh realities of a rainy grey dawn. As I crawled creakingly to my feet I looked over expectantly at the blank blue computer screen with resigned disappointment; my experiment of last night had failed - drunks might well be geniuses but at motor skills they are incompetent fools. And sadly I can't remember the wise and witty things that I thought of last night, excepting lines of a song recorded by the Five Blind Boys of Alabama that keeps reverberrating throughout my mind...

(enround)

Lead: Sometimes        I feel    like a motherless child
Four blind Boys: Sometimes I feel motherless child

Sometimes I feel like I don't have a friend
Sometimes I feel have a friend

Lead: Sometimes I feel like a motherless child
Four blind Boys: Sometimes I feel motherless child

Together: A looooooooog way from home.
A loooooooooooooog way from home.

Forgive me mates if I let you down.
But life must go on - tonight I'll get drunk in some Tennessee woods and report back my findings.

Meanwhile this report here gives an example of one of the most profound insights into a fundamental mechanism of the human condition...
_____________________________What is it?

Posted By: grapho Re: jerry rig - 09/04/04 09:47 PM
this report here gives an example of one of the most profound insights into a fundamental mechanism of the human condition...
_____________________________What is it?

Hope springs eternal?

Posted By: clockworkchaos Re: jury - 09/10/04 07:16 PM
Speaking of jury, I was an alternate juror this week. My first time. It was a burglary II case involving a dvd player and a Highlander copy sword. As hilarious as that was I found the whole thing quite disappointing. I sat in a separate room from the fo real jurors and in 1-2 minutes they had decided the man was guilty. I apparently was the only person on the jury who didn't think the man's guilt had been proven. At all, I might add. I mentioned this to a coworker this morning and she said last time she was on a jury panel she heard a very similar case and her jury immediately found the defendant not guilty. It pays to not covet the sword of Highlander!

Posted By: musick Re: jury - 09/10/04 10:28 PM
It does, often, make me wonder how a 'reasonable doubt' is determined when most often there are twelve versions of reason... or is that 12 versions of doubt?!

I'm sure Father Steve could give us *all 12 of them.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: reasonable jurors or not - 09/11/04 11:29 AM
And suppose those 12 jurors are unreasonable people who are required to reach some unknown (to them at least) state of reasonableness...

Posted By: themgmt Re: jury - 09/11/04 01:51 PM
It does often make me wonder how a 'reasonable doubt' is determined

A "reasonable doubt" is a work of art like a sculpture. A trial attorney molds minds, the way a good potter molds clay.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: jury - 09/11/04 01:54 PM
An attorney molds minds, the way a good potter molds clay.

Sounds bloody unnerving to me.

Posted By: themgmt Re: jury - 09/11/04 02:46 PM
Sounds bloody unnerving to me.

Why, "unnerving", Wordwind? It's just justice.

BTW molding a jury's mind is not the same thing as rigging the jury ... at least in the mind of a jurist.

Posted By: musick Functional precedence - 09/11/04 06:12 PM
'Molding' seeks to create form whereas 'rigging' seems to be altering (or propping up) an *existing one...{kinda}.

Posted By: musick Formal precedence - 09/11/04 06:16 PM
'Molding' seeks to create form whereas 'rigging' seems to be altering (or propping up) an *existing one...{kinda%

© Wordsmith.org