Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Eteostichon - 06/30/04 03:50 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if someone(s) in this group can come up with whom this refers to:
My Day Closed Is In Immortality.

...and with what this one refers to:
LorD haVe MerCI Vpon Vs.

Let me add that, just reading it like this with no explanation, I wouldn't have had a clue. Hmm--taking a closer look at the second one, I can't figure how it comes out to be what the book says it is...

I suppose I should ask, that if someone sees this post all alone in the thread and knows instantly what the answers are, would you mind holding your post for a bit in case others want to try a few guesses? Thanks.

Posted By: shanks Re: Eteostichon - 06/30/04 05:39 PM
most merry in vino

the sunshine "nothing if not contemporary" warrior

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Eteostichon - 06/30/04 06:04 PM
The Lord Have Mercy one was pretty strained, imo. I got the first, but had to look the other one up. Methinks they cheated.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Eteostichon - 06/30/04 07:05 PM
A) I will have to look up the title of your post, Jackie. No idea what the word means.

2) All I can detect in the two is the capitalized Roman numerals. But I can't get anywhere from there. Am I on the right track?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Eteostichon - 06/30/04 07:29 PM
interesting stuff here:
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=495&letter=C
this was the only site in English that Gurunet gave me.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Eteostichon - 06/30/04 07:53 PM
eta, is that a spoiler?!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Eteostichon - 06/30/04 08:46 PM
well, it does define the word, but not the particulars of the two examples that Jackie gave.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Eteostichon - 07/01/04 02:07 PM
... taking a closer look at the second one, I can't figure how it comes out to be what the book says it is...

not sure, but I think an attempt at addition might work?

(Which would make the sentiment expressed in the words VERY relevant!)

EDIT
The first one, of course, explains why I set up a couple of Lunchtime Lectures in Lancaster last year, about the nexus between the Tudors and the Stuarts.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Eteostichon - 07/02/04 02:16 PM
First--my subject title was the excuse for making the post; I figured it would be a new word to at least some people--and also would give a solving hint.

I'll white out what the book says, so if anyone still wants to wrangle with the puzzles, skip this:
My Day Closed Is In Immortality = MDCIII = 1603, = the death of Queen Elizabeth the first.

LorD haVe MerCI Vpon Vs = L+D+V+M+C+I+V+V = 1666, the Great Fire of London. Yes, it was addition! Sometimes I wonder where my brain is---the pluses are right there in the book!

Addison denounced chronograms as 'the results of monkish ignorance' and sneered that 'tricks in writing require much time and little capacity'. (p. 60)

Posted By: tang "monkish ignorance" - 07/03/04 09:30 PM
Now that's an interesting term: "monkish ignorance". What do suppose it means?

I visualize a solitary monk bent over dusty tomes in passionate pursuit of enigmatic trifles.

Posted By: wow Re: Eteostichon - 07/04/04 12:07 PM
Addison denounced chronograms as 'the results of monkish ignorance' and sneered that 'tricks in writing require much time and little capacity'. (p. 60)

Well ! That neatly disposes of our "Alphabet Age" and all the acronyms used in computers, business, military and, oh yes, by us!

Had a fumble finger moment and typed sacronym by mistake - would sacronyms be acronyms used by clergy?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Eteostichon - 07/04/04 12:46 PM
sacronym

good one!

clergy
that or a back doctor...

Posted By: Jackie Re: sacronym - 07/05/04 06:41 PM
I love it! wow, you ought to submit that to whoever it is that sponsors those wacky-definition contests--you know, like the gulf between British and American humor is a sarchasm.

a back doctor... would be a rotcod.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: sacronym - 07/05/04 07:06 PM
rotcod

oh boy...

Posted By: wofahulicodoc at the risk of being called a piker - 07/06/04 12:01 AM
rotcod

I dunno, something fishy about that...

Cabdriver picks up a Bostonian fare looking for a restaurant at dinnertime, says "Where too, Buddy?"

Reply comes: "Take me to where I can get scrod."

Answer #1: "Sure, fella, just tell me what is it you want, liquor or women?"
Answer #2: "I been asked for that a lot, but this is the first time ever in the pluperfect subjunctive!"
uh...my cat's breath smells like catfood...

© Wordsmith.org