Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dxb Food - 03/22/04 04:02 PM
This is put here because altho' the question is serious the subject isn't, very.

Please would one of the left bankers explain what and why is a 'blue plate special'? I've run into this a few times lately, is it a regional expression or widespread?

Thanking you in advance for your attention in this matter, I remain etc.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Food - 03/22/04 04:25 PM
I've generally taken it to mean, in its basic meaning, the particular menu item that the management of a luncheonette has chosen to be the one they are featuring on a particular day. Usually it implies a special (lower than usual) price or it may be an item that is not served every day. Why the 'blue plate' I couldn't say. It would take on a metaphorical meaning of something a little out of the ordinary. I think it's pretty wide-spread in USn usage.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Food - 03/22/04 10:44 PM
I've only heard that expression on U.S. shows and usually in diners.

Do you think it might have an association with blue-collar workers?

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Food - 03/23/04 03:09 AM
Here's a link.

http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-blu3.htm

Posted By: consuelo Re: Food - 03/23/04 04:59 AM
And in Mexico it is called comida corrida. What do y'all call it in your neck of the woods?

Posted By: dxb Re: Food - 03/23/04 08:18 AM
Thanks for the Quinion link Insel.

The possible connection with the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad is fascinating and had me hunting for more information. I knew it was a big company, but hadn’t realised how big, nor that under the name Santa Fe it had owned some of my employer’s subcontractors and competitors! There is a road haulage company in the UK carrying the name Atchison Topeka on the side of its trucks, but that company is based in the UK, in Worcester, and there doesn’t seem to be a connection, they’ve just ripped off the name I guess.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Food - 03/23/04 12:10 PM
Thanks for the link , Rock Island. Another example of ubiquiphany (Thanks, Max)

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Food - 03/23/04 12:30 PM
ubiquiphany

and one pronounces that how?

(no, one pronounces that you-bih-kiff-uh-nee...)

Posted By: wwh Re: Food - 03/23/04 01:24 PM
From Internet, Kevin Reed:
And just how did that term 'Blue Plate Special' come about? During the Depression, a manufacturer started making plates with separate sections for each part of a meal - like a frozen dinner tray - it seems that for whatever reason they were only available in the color blue. Because they were inexpensive and saved on dishwashing, diners began using them for their low priced daily specials.

(the last paragraph of a long article about dining cars.)

Posted By: Faldage Re: Food - 03/23/04 01:24 PM
Well, I usually say kwiff not kiff, but yeah, the emphasis is on the antepenult.

Is that what you had in mind, Max?

© Wordsmith.org