Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm gukgo revealed - 01/24/04 03:52 AM
Sparteye made a strong initial run but was ultimately tied by dxb with three(3) votes; meanwhile, Wordwind, ASp and dxb got the truth of it.

a) a long-handled oblong swab for cleaning the bore of a cannon after discharge [Wordwind]

b) a fanciful additive which makes milk appear to be beer [tsuwm]

c) an Indian trained as a soldier by the British, loaned to the East India Company for protection of their employees and property: Sepoy [dxb] dellfarmer, Jackie, wofa

d) an obsolete Scot. form of cuckoo [OED2] Wordwind, ASp, dxb

e) a small, nocturnal, arboreal mammal native to semi-tropical regions [Sparteye] etaoin, Bingley, sjmaxq

f) one of the oldest genus of trees on the Japanese islands [maverick] Coffeebean

g) [Scots Gaelic] the chanter on a bagpipe [Asp] Sparteye, maverick

h) a small, colorful fish found exclusively in the waters of the Galapagos Archipelago [consuelo]

i) alt. form of gingko, a primitive tree whose species dates back to the Jurassic Era (originally a typographical error which first entered the dictionary in 1913 and has been perpetuated ever since) [wofa] Musick

j) the dried residue of bird excreta [WO’N] juan

k) a woman of easy virtue, Army slang from Korean [Faldage] Capfka

l) a traditional Indonesian drink served to a newly married couple [belMarduk] Faldage, belM

m) a S. American penguin that became extinct towards the end of the 19th century [Bingley]

n) a ginkgo biloba extract base beverage thickened with miso and flavored with ginger, originated in Japan [musick]

o) rice paper [Jackie] consuelo

Posted By: belMarduk Re: gukgo defined - 01/24/04 04:22 AM
This one is hard. Several definitions look like they'd fit. Grrr. Let me think on it a day.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: gukgo defined - 01/24/04 12:06 PM
heh. b made me laugh out loud, but I'll go with e.

Posted By: Bingley Re: gukgo defined - 01/24/04 12:41 PM
E

Bingley
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: gukgo defined - 01/24/04 08:02 PM
I missed submitting this time, due to illness, but I shall cast my sickly vote with Etaoin and BinglEy.

Posted By: Faldage Re: gukgo defined - 01/24/04 08:27 PM
This has got to stop. Those last votes are making it seem too easy. I like D, K and L. I'll go with L.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: gukgo defined - 01/24/04 08:58 PM
M made me laugh, but the sound of gukgo is so close in the mouth to cuckoo that I'll coe obsoletely with d.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: gukgo defined - 01/24/04 10:07 PM
I have no idea.

:: throws dart ::

G

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Mouthfeel - 01/24/04 11:10 PM
the sound of gukgo is so close in the mouth to cuckoo

Yeah. I'm with WW on this one.

d

Posted By: dellfarmer Re: Mouthfeel - 01/24/04 11:16 PM
I'm also throwing a dart - C

Ron.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Mouthfeel - 01/25/04 12:40 AM

I still can’t make up my mind so let me jump on somebody else’s boat... C doesn’t feel right since gukgo seems hard to pronounce in English. E is definitely wrong – big wildlife-bio fan here. D sounds good but it feels like a coincidence...like the excreta clue which sounds too much like guano. So it’s G or L....G or L....arghhh, o.k. I’m going with Faldage and choosing L.

Seriously, you guys must be good at poker. I'm not playing with any of you at Portawap.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Mouthfeel - 01/25/04 10:11 AM
Oh, I rather liked k!

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Mouthfeel - 01/25/04 11:26 AM
K as in you like women of easy virtue Cap, or K as in you think it is the definition of gukgo? woo-woo

Posted By: Jackie Re: Mouthfeel - 01/25/04 01:14 PM
C; note--if it turns out to be L, I'm gonna cry foul--we shouldn't be expected to know every word of every language on the planet!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Mouthful - 01/25/04 01:24 PM
Every word on the planet? Probably impossible to know every word on the planet since hundreds would be wordsbecoming, just like the one I just created.

We've had this interesting number of words discussion many times here and have agreed it's an impossible task. However, debate aside, the last time I heard some rogue speak of number of words in the English language recorded in current dictionaries, that rogue mentioned a million + figure and I suspect that million + (though we all here know that a million + is too low) did not include the 300,000 + that are on urbandictionary.com. And since I read years ago that the average lexicographer (not the over-achieving lexicographer) had a vocabulary of 100,000 + words, then I think there's a pretty good chance we can all sigh a huge collective sigh of relief when we don't know every word on Hogwashregistered.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Mouthfeel - 01/25/04 05:01 PM
K as in you like women of easy virtue Cap, or K as in you think it is the definition of gukgo? woo-woo

K as in it seemed as good as any and better than most, bel. Since I don't have the foggiest notion what it really means, why not?

Posted By: musick A Typo? - 01/25/04 07:56 PM
Just for distribution's sake... I

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Sí, sí - 01/26/04 12:46 AM
See saw, C, C

Posted By: dxb Re: Sí, sí - 01/26/04 12:03 PM
I'll plump for a nice plump D.

Posted By: maverick Re: guessing game - 01/26/04 12:50 PM
Having narry a clue to start with, I'll go the psychological route. Since F, I, and N seem to share the idea based on g/vowel/cons/g/o, I’ll throw them aside with all their desperate detail as fin-ished (though prolly already fatally wrong!) In similar mode, J is too clearly modelled on g/u/*/*/o, so I think that one stinks. I can’t imagine an oblong swab for a round cannon, so I’ll declare that one a bore. C is tempting. But then K seems to be too similar a process for co-incidence, so I’ll assume the fertile minds here are responsible for those two; and H, E, L and M are just too fishy to be left on deck :) B is internally consistent: just too fanciful! O is very tempting; hmmm, but I think I detect a tsuwm or Faldage at work, trying to lure me to the succinct decoy… So that leaves the Scots pair of songsters: eeny, meenie, minie, mo…. Give me a G for an edumificated guess!

Posted By: consuelo Re: gukgo defined - 01/27/04 11:18 AM
Ohhhhhhhh! I guess I'll vote for O just because no one has and it's the last one in line, poor thing!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: gukgo defined - 01/27/04 12:57 PM
Yes, poor little ol' o hasn't gotten a vote till yours, consuelo, but neither have at least five others, probably more. The reason I mention this is there are voteless ones among which my own is one, and my own is just as much as a 'poor little ol'' no-vote cast as o and it would very much appreciate a vote. I mean, if someone out there is into giving sympathy votes.

Posted By: Coffeebean Re: gukgo defined - 01/27/04 10:29 PM
I'll vote for F since it conjured up a favorable image.

Posted By: consuelo Re: gukgo defined - 01/28/04 11:20 AM
Well, Wordy, you and I are out rowing around in the same lil ol' boat. My offering has yet to receive a vote either. Boo hoo hooo!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: gukgo defined - 01/28/04 12:54 PM
all of the entrants have voted but for juan (1); I guess we're in no hurry... or I could cast his ballot again.

(just kidding)

Posted By: Jackie Re: gukgo defined - 01/28/04 04:30 PM
juan (1) will be off-line for a while.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: gukgo defined - 01/28/04 06:15 PM
a little bird tells me that juan votes for "j"; I'll post the results when I post the results.

Posted By: musick Re: gukgo defined - 01/28/04 09:19 PM
a little bird tells me that...

I wonder what color?

Posted By: consuelo Re: gukgo defined - 01/29/04 02:37 AM
I wonder what color?

The bird or the answer?

tsuhammy, go fish!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: gukgo revealed - 01/29/04 06:05 AM
by the way, eta, b) actually fits the word bupgoo:

"Howdy Dooit" (originally in MAD #18)

Big Chief Thundamelvin says hi to Clarabella: "Gosharootie...I mean KOWABUNGA,
Clarabella! Is something me gotta askum you! Me know face of clown often cover great wisdom! Wisdom many time lay under sense of humor! Me want ask you one question ever since me meet you! Ever since me hear your name,
Clarabella, me want to ask.....is you a woman?"

Howdy does a TV ad: "...Yes...BUPGOO makes a glass of milk look *exactly* like a glass of BEER! Next time the kids want the beer you're drinking, give 'em BUPGOO!"

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: gukgo revealed - 01/29/04 10:27 AM

though a moment of silence for Clarabella...
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/obit_keeshan

Posted By: musick Cuckoo for wofa... - 01/29/04 05:23 PM
Our pal dxb isn't getting what's due.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cuckoo for wofa... - 01/29/04 06:02 PM
*poof*

note to maverick: closely reasoned guess there, mav -- too bad that ultimately it came down to a blown 50/50 chance. next time try Occam's razor perhaps?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic That was fun as usual, tsuwm - 01/29/04 09:27 PM
Thanks again for being such a gracious host.

Posted By: maverick Re: lacked finesse - 01/29/04 10:57 PM
buggrit! oh, well, there was no end-play available... ;)

~ and anywise, I'm glad to have donated a point to the cunning ASp ~ now I only owe her a few more than forty :)
Posted By: Jackie Re: Cuckoo for wofa... - 01/30/04 01:40 AM
Oh--NOW I see you've posted the votes, and this time I could actually tell which one was the correct solution. You know, something just told me that WO'N had voted for his own def.!

Posted By: maverick Re: foolish me - 01/30/04 02:32 AM
Well, I was fooled by that weird-looking combination of letters ~ strange how it looks more ungainly than it sounds, isn't it? But I have been interested by some of the other cuckoo words from the same nest...

gowk, n
Orig. Sc. and north. dial.

[a. ON. gaukr = OE. ¼éac (see yeke), OHG. gouh (MHG. gouch, G. gauch):—OTeut. *gauko-z.]

1. The cuckoo.

2. A fool: a half-witted person. [So G. gauch.]

3. Phrases. to give the gowk to: to befool. to hunt the gowk: to go on a fool's errand.

4. attrib. and Comb. esp. with gen. gowk's, as gowk's-errand = fool's-errand (see errand 2c); gowk('s)-meat, gowk-oats (see quots.); gowk's-spittle = cuckoo-spit2; gowk's-storm, †(a) a storm of short duration; (b) a spring gale which occurs at the time of the cuckoo's arrival. Also gowk-like a., foolish.

Posted By: dxb Re: Cuckoo for wofa... - 01/30/04 08:27 AM
Our pal dxb isn't getting what's due.

Thanks musick. Modesty forbad(e) that I should point it out myself.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: lacked finesse? - 01/30/04 01:20 PM
40 what, Mav? Dare I ASk?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cuckoo for wofa... - 01/30/04 01:30 PM
did I mention that, in the matter of keeping score (if we were doing that outmoded sort of thing), [blink]dxb[/blink] was the overall winner?!

Posted By: maverick Re: 7 x 7 - 01/30/04 01:56 PM
AS my wick-ed cryptic humo(u)r's waxing lyric, Al, please just think of it :)

© Wordsmith.org