Wordsmith.org
Posted By: JessCC Boggle 9 - 01/16/04 03:49 PM
Howdy do, folks? Here's ANOTHER one of me grids. Since previously, there hasn't been any SPECIFIC deadlines for it, so I'm going to challenge you guys (just to give it a little oomph).

New grid:

| E | L | F | A |
| N | O | P | B |
| U | S | I | T |
| G | E | C | R |

Deadline: Midnight GMT, 19th January.

Have a great weekend!

Posted By: maverick Re: Boggle 9 - 01/16/04 04:40 PM
howsabout a wordy seven:

ELFABIT :)

[/teddyspeak]

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Boggle 9 - 01/17/04 11:58 PM
Two sixes and two sevens so far.

Community list in Answers to Puzzles, as usual. Feel free to add to it!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Boggle 9 - 01/18/04 12:47 AM
I have an 8-letter one.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Boggle 9 - 01/18/04 12:52 AM
I suppose if you can UNSPOIL then you can UNSCRIPT also.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Boggle 9 - 01/18/04 02:51 AM
!!!!! Aren't you supposed to put that over in Answers? Just for that, I'm going to say unspoil is not a word!

Posted By: JessCC Re: Boggle 9 - 01/18/04 09:26 AM
Neither is UNSCRIPT.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Boggle 9 - 01/18/04 07:39 PM
Good heavens, I think you're right; though I'm SURE I've heard it used, in such as, "He gave the camera an unscripted message". [groveling for forgiveness e]

P.S.-Hey, Jess? Thanks for doing these puzzles for us.

Posted By: JessCC Re: Boggle 9 - 01/19/04 01:26 AM
Well, UNSCRIPTED is a word. It is used as the opposite meaning for SCRIPTED. As for UNSCRIPT, it's not a word.

You're welcome, Jackie. It's always fun to share games, especially when one has a Boggle set and no one else to play with, so, might as well play with you guys!

Seeing as it is already 2am GMT January 19th, I've decided to extend ONLY till 5pm GMT, or 12pm EST January 19th. Otherwise, you've taken the fun out of deadlines! hahaha.....

Jess

Posted By: Jackie Re: Boggle 9 - 01/19/04 02:17 PM
I looked at my list last night; the actual word I'd put was enscript. But that's not a word, either! SIGH...

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Boggle 9 - 01/19/04 09:09 PM
Yes, thanks for putting up the puzzles JessCC. I hope you don't think we're not into it if you don't get a slew of responses after your original post.

If people are anything like me, I try to find the most words possible, then look at the answers and kick myself cause once you see them, the words seem so obvious - but I don't post since I get beating out by others in word-count.

I don't know if it is Boggley legal but how about having a "total number of words you've found" addition to the game.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Boggle 9 - 01/19/04 09:34 PM
...how about having a "total number of words you've found" addition to the game?

Only problem with counting words is that then we have to have tiresome discussions of what is legal and what's not. Singular and plural of the same word if the only difference is an s? Non-English words? Hyphenated? Capitalized? Slang? And on and on. I'd rather just put the words into a large pile (as you see) and marvel at the convolutions we uncover. But I know others like to count the total after working extensively on their own; that's the reason for posting the community concatenation in a separate site that you can't glance at by accident and spoil your fun.

No problem with putting up total numbers, though, if you get satisfaction from that! I would do that on this kind of main thread, just to be mischievous, and challenging. If you want to add to the global list in the Answers thread, though, that can even be done anonymously via PM so you needn't be diffident about missing some or taking longer than others. And anyone can maintain (or adopt) a community answer post; it doesn't have to be mine. (And I hope, Jess, that you don't consider that I've usurped your prerogative as poser of the game originally! By all means take it back if you want to!)

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Boggle 9 - 01/19/04 09:41 PM
Hmmm, I see what you mean wof. I see where it could get a little heavy, not that I'm saying we're a nit-picky, argumentative bunch

Posted By: JessCC Re: Boggle 9 - 01/19/04 11:41 PM
(And I hope, Jess, that you don't consider that I've usurped your prerogative as poser of the game originally! By all means take it back if you want to!)

Oh no! I don't mind it, not at all. By all means, I need all the help I can get! haha..... I only provide the grid and answers (unless someone's beaten me to it! *hint*) LOL.....

Just so you know, I didn't get more than just a glance when I typed the grid up, just to be fair and still be able to play the game.
Posted By: maahey Re: Boggle 9 - 01/20/04 05:23 AM
Yes, thanks for all these boggles JessC, and for helpfully providing the answers too, wofa. Which brings me to...how does 'spoil' register here? Or 'unspoil' for that matter.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc spoil your fun - 01/20/04 04:53 PM
I put "spoil" on my answer list, but it was a mistake, as J. noted. The I isn't next to the L. No spoils in this grid, I'm afraid.

PS I don't post "the" answers, btw, just "some" answers. They're words I've found, plus whatever anyone else has found and told me about. I'm just playing glorified secretary and cut-and-pasting things together into one big list, for everybody's convenience. It's meant to be extensive, not complete, and certainly not authoritative. Additional words are always welcome!
© Wordsmith.org