Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Oortboy Need help with a search method . . . - 10/10/03 09:57 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to find a way of searching for all words that contain a sequence of letters within it. For instance, a friend at work is named Simmons and today I mentioned the word parsimony to him. In this example the interior sequence of 'simon' within parsimony isn't an exact match to 'Simmons' but you get the general idea. If I want phonetic matches I can just try different variations of my search term to end up with the kind of words I want.

I'm not looking for anagrams. Or searches by the limited parameters of prefix or suffix or deconstructed compound.

Interestingly enough the Find > Files or Folders option on a Windows operating system works almost exactly the way I'm looking for. However, its not a dictionary.

Thanks for putting you mind to it. I'll check back.

Clint

Posted By: Faldage Re: Need help with a search method . . . - 10/10/03 12:18 PM
http://onelook.com/ has a wildcard feature. You could enter *simon* and get everything that contains the string "simon". You can narrow it down to just common words or just common phrases if the seventeen billion phrases you get is too much for you, but I'm not sure how to get all words and no phrases. Maybe someone more versed in onelook can tell us.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Need help with a search method . . . - 10/10/03 12:51 PM
when you are given your page full of all search results at OneLook, you are give the following options (both live links): Show: (All matches), Common words and phrases only, Common words only

I don't know whose judgment "Common" represents.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Need help with a search method . . . - 10/10/03 12:55 PM
whose judgment "Common" represents

The first hit for *simon* narrowed to "common" words is musimon. Maybe commonly found in the dictionaries onelook uses?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Need help with a search method . . . - 10/10/03 01:52 PM
>Maybe commonly found in the dictionaries onelook uses?

ha! how, then, is the original list narrowed to arrive at "Common words and phrases only"?!
|wandering off to look|

Posted By: Oortboy Re: Need help with a search method . . . - 10/10/03 06:34 PM
Well it was just the search tool I was looking for you guys. Thanks so much. What a great resource this place is.

Clint

Posted By: Faldage Re: Need help with a search method . . . - 10/10/03 06:40 PM
Glad to be of help. Don't be so long away next time. Or is a year and a hlf how long it takes to get out to and back from the Cloud?

Or is a year and a half how long it takes to get out to and back from the Cloud?

zing!! right into orbit, Fald! nice one!

Posted By: dodyskin Re: Need help with a search method . . . - 10/11/03 03:28 PM
http://www.solarviews.com/eng/oort.htm

If travelling at the top speed of the apollo 8 ( fastest manned vessel) it would take a bit more than 173056 years to get to the Oort cloud and back, it being about 30000000000000km away. If travelling at the speed of succession, it would take considerably less time. I wonder how Oortboy got here.

.03498935268917706285728926 more, before y'all ask
Posted By: Bingley Re: Need help with a search method . . . - 10/12/03 01:48 AM
What is the speed of succession? I always understood that when one monarch died the next succeeded instantaneously regardless of when he or she was actually crowned.

Bingley
© Wordsmith.org