Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley Vowels Queueing Up - 07/15/03 10:34 AM
A friend pointed out that queueing has five vowels in succession. Can anyone beat it? English words only, please -- no Hawaiian place names.

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: Vowels Queueing Up - 07/16/03 01:31 AM
Hmm, well, Gurunet gives the spelling as queuing. Still, 4 is a good run. I can't think of any that have more. Too bad sequoiaing isn't a word...

Posted By: Bingley Re: Vowels Queueing Up - 07/16/03 04:15 AM
Gurunet is wrong. How would they know, anyway? Americans don't queue, they get in line.

Bingley
Posted By: sjm Re: Vowels Queueing Up - 07/16/03 04:19 AM
I'm with you on this one, Binley, "queuing" just looks wrong.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Vowels Queueing Up - 07/16/03 04:23 AM
So does Binley.

Bingley
Posted By: Faldage Re: Vowels Queueing Up - 07/16/03 10:34 AM
"queuing" just looks wrong

M-W buys either. If queuing looks wrong to y'all it's only cause y'all Commonwealthy are so hung up on all y'all's extra letters. The extra e goes away before a suffix that starts with a vowel.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Vowels Queueing Up - 07/16/03 10:58 AM
I've never seen it spelt without the "extra" (i.e., correct ) second "e" over this side o' the watter. (sic)

Posted By: Zed Re: Vowels Queueing Up - 07/16/03 11:10 PM
Americans don't queue they get in line
except in New York where I'm told they get ON line. Hmm that gets more confusing in the computer store I'll bet.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Vowels Queueing Up - 07/17/03 04:32 AM
While it is a peculiarity of Indonesian English that if you say someone is online it means that they are on the phone.

Has this spread northwards from the countries to the south of us?

I might say if the situation called for it that someone was on another lin. Online is, to me, an innovation coined for internet use.

Bingley
Posted By: of troy Re: Vowels Queueing Up - 07/17/03 11:26 AM
Yes, you get on the line (as opposed to being online!) and wait on line.. and you try and cut a the line.
IN is for row.. You get all your ducks in a row.. or sit in the 3rd row..

so it you look at a long line of people, and try to cut it, saying, "I'm just trying to get.....(whatever)" you'd be told, "Wait on the line, like everyone else"

the article the does get dropped about half the times, but is there about half the times too!

© Wordsmith.org