Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Name this dwelling: - 07/05/03 07:08 PM
Characteristics:

I am a Native American lean-to typically found in the mountains of upstate New York and Canada. I am usually round in shape. The first letter in my name is an a.

What am I?

Posted By: maverick Re: Name this dwelling: - 07/05/03 11:35 PM
Algonquian bark wigwam?

[/gessin!]

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Name this dwelling: - 07/06/03 12:57 AM
ajoupa? (but that's West Indies.. otoh, it's of Fr. origin)

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Name this dwelling: - 07/06/03 11:27 AM
The Aleut Barabara?

(but that's Alaskan, rather a long way from NY)

EDIT - P.S.
It wouldn't be anything to do with Black Elk's Earth Prayer, would it?

Earth Prayer

"Grandfather, Great Spirit, once more behold me on earth and, lean to, hear my feeble voice.

EDIT - II.

More seriously, I have found a number of references to the Adirondack Lean-to, which was a Native American type of shelter.
Posted By: maverick Re: yeahbut® - 07/06/03 12:19 PM
I have a feeling (given which forum our gal's chosen!) that we may be guessing far too strait-laced and the answer will have us groaning yet...

c'mon back WW!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: yeahbut® - 07/06/03 04:02 PM
I chose this forum just because I set up the question more as a game than as a straightforward question. Although it was. A straightforward question.

Anyway, Rhubarb is correct: Adirondack Lean-to

Now my serious question is, why isn't the adirondack lean-to listed in any dictionary if it's a structure that at least people interested in Native American history would know about? I can't find the term in any dictionary.

Sorry to disappoint you, mav', about that anticipated groan, but maybe Ted will look in and provide one.

WW

Posted By: tsuwm Re: yeahbut® - 07/06/03 04:09 PM
why isn't the adirondack lean-to listed in any dictionary if it's a structure that at least people interested in Native American history would know about?

because it's a type of structure (lean-to) that comes from a region (Adirondack)?
-ron o.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: yeahbut® - 07/06/03 05:36 PM
In reply to:

why isn't the adirondack lean-to listed in any dictionary if it's a structure that at least people interested in Native American history would know about?

it's right there with Mississippi Mud.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: yeahbut® - 07/08/03 09:46 AM
So for clarification, are wigwams, teepees and (adirondack) lean-tos words to describe essentially the same structure with a different regional or cultural name?

Posted By: consuelo Re: yeahbut® - 07/08/03 09:58 AM
Don't forget the wikiup and the hogan.

Posted By: Faldage Re: tipis and hogans - 07/08/03 10:07 AM
Tipis and hogans are very specific structures. The tipi is, traditionally, buffalo skin over a conic structure of long poles, very portable. It evolved from a less substantial structure with the introduction of the horse to the plains culture. Prior to the introduction of the horse the main pack animal was the dog.

The hogan is a permanent structure of log and mud, still used today as the primary housing for many Navajo on the reservation. I visited one once. It's the only time I have ever seen a gas refrigerator in use.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: tipis and hogans - 07/08/03 12:35 PM
and the yurt?

Posted By: sjm Re: tipis and hogans - 07/08/03 06:58 PM
>and the yurt

is never called that by those who live in it, as Dr. Bill once pointed out here. http://www.chaingang.org/yurtquest/FAQ.html

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: tipis and hogans - 07/08/03 07:23 PM
did I say yurt? I meant Ger.

Posted By: maverick Re: tipis and hogans - 07/08/03 09:44 PM
so should yurtmany be capitalised?

Posted By: Zed Re: tipis and hogans - 07/08/03 11:09 PM
So yogurt is made in gers not yurts?

Posted By: sjm Re: tipis and hogans - 07/08/03 11:23 PM
>so should yurtmany be capitalised?

It took me a while to figure out how the above was in any way yurtmane to this thread.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: tipis and hogans - 07/09/03 11:07 AM
I guess that the comic duo of 50s and 60s radio would never have been so popular if they had been named Yurt and Daisy, either.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: tipis and hogans - 07/10/03 06:26 PM
http://www.uwplatt.edu/~winderk/na/dwellings.htm

shows you a range of native american dwellings.

© Wordsmith.org