Wordsmith.org
Posted By: JohnHawaii Etymologic - 06/16/03 11:43 PM
Has anyone visited this site that purports to be the most challenging word game on the net?

<http://www.etymologic.com/index.cgi >

I suspect it's childsplay for this learned group, but I scored only 8 of 10 on my first go at it.

Posted By: sjm Re: Etymologic - 06/17/03 12:18 AM
What is a "heiroglyph"?
In reply to:

"Next question:

What does the word heiroglyph mean?

'Heiro' is the Greek word for 'holy' and 'glyph' is the Greek word for 'stone'
It's is the ancient Japanese word for 'fighting warrior'
Latin word 'heiro' meaning 'to live' and 'glyph meaning 'long life'

If they mean hieroglyph, it seems a little unfair of them to leave a typo there to confuse the issue.

Posted By: alexis Re: Etymologic - 06/17/03 12:28 AM
That's a pretty cool game, but I don't think it is quite the hardest on the net! I think there are some issues around the fact that whoever runs it doesn't seem to edit the questions put in by others, so you get typos and spelling/grammar issues which may confuse the question... maybe I'm just pedantic

Posted By: wwh Re: Etymologic - 06/17/03 01:49 AM
Dear sjm I think you have a typo. "I before E"
I got nine out of ten of the game I played. Some of the definitions seemed tricky. I wish it had told me which one I got wrong.

Posted By: wow Re: Etymologic - 06/20/03 03:17 PM
Dear Bill, When you got a word wrong the top of the following page said BZZZZZT - tells you how many right/wrong you have and gives correct definition. You must have been so eager to get to the next question you misssed the BZZZZT! Don't we all do that sometimes!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Etymologic - 06/20/03 03:34 PM
It kept kicking me out and dumping me back at the beginning. It also claimed that arena was Latin for sawdust. I don't think so.

Posted By: wwh Re: Etymologic - 06/20/03 03:35 PM
Dear wow: if the BZZZZZZT was a sound, I couldn't have heard it. Because of my deafness, I haven't bothered to find out why my sound isn'g working. That can be a big chore. (there's a word I haven't heard or seen for a long time. But thanks for thinking of me.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Etymologic - 06/20/03 03:36 PM
The BZZZZZZT was big letters across the top. Big enough that it would have been really easy to miss.

Posted By: wwh Re: Etymologic - 06/20/03 03:43 PM
I do miss a lot.A non sequitur: Long ago radio program Amos and Andy had them in insurance business. Andy in explainti;ng to customer why his claim could not be honored,said: "The large print giveth, the fine print taketh away."

Posted By: Faldage Re: Etymologic - 06/20/03 03:54 PM
I wasn't being entirely facetious about the large print. I remember reading about a game a couple of friends used to play, finding a given name on a map. The names that were spread out over the largest area were always the hardest to find.

© Wordsmith.org