Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley Mediaeval hogwashing - 05/04/03 08:13 AM
From Ellis Peters's The Rose Rent page 91 (the sheriff, Hugh Beringar, is speaking):

'He's off back to the hills before night. It seems he has some hoggets up there with a rot of the feet, he and his man came back only to get a supply of the wash to treat them.'

Apparently a hogget is a yearling sheep, and hog can mean a young sheep before its first shearing.

Bingley
Posted By: Wordwind Re: Mediaeval hogwashing - 05/04/03 10:16 AM
I think there's another term, too, for this 'hogget'...but I can't recall it right now.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Mediaeval hogwashing - 05/04/03 10:25 AM
and also the name of the sheep farmer in "Babe". excepting with two T's... Bah-ram-ewe...
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0112431

Posted By: maahey Re: Mediaeval hogwashing - 05/04/03 02:04 PM
psstt.....eta, wasn't that the password? I love Babe. Yes.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Mediaeval hogwashing - 05/04/03 03:41 PM
Apparently a hogget is a yearling sheep, and hog can mean a young sheep before its first shearing.

I jus' knowed them Kiwis wuz involved in the inception of all this hogwashery somehow!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Mediaeval hogwashing - 05/04/03 03:54 PM
psstt.....eta, wasn't that the password?

yeah, but notice I didn't give the whole thing...

Posted By: maahey Re: Mediaeval hogwashing - 05/04/03 04:01 PM
notice I didn't give the whole thing..

Right you are, eta! very conpiratorial, right back at you!

Posted By: Capfka Re: Mediaeval hogwashing - 05/04/03 08:23 PM
Hate to tell you this, Juan, but Babe was pure Australian, through and through. Try Chicken Run, too.

A lamb is a lamb until its first birthday (which 60% of lambs in Zild don't get to celebrate - awwwwwwww!), it's a hogget for its second year (and is at its best eating then, but the consumers of the world are impatient beggars), is also called a two-tooth during that period too, is a four-tooth, six-tooth and eight-tooth roughly annually up to about four years old and is then mutton ....

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Mediaeval hogwashing - 05/05/03 02:09 AM
Hate to tell you this, Juan, but Babe was pure Australian, through and through. Try Chicken Run, too.

Ackshually®, Cap, I was alluding to the sheep.

Posted By: of troy Re: Mediaeval hogwashing - 05/05/03 10:52 AM
Jaun, don'tcha just love it when a Kiwi displays an intimate knowledge of young sheep, and then claims you don't know what you're talking about?!

love ya, Cap!

Posted By: Capfka Re: Mediaeval hogwashing - 05/05/03 08:02 PM
It's not the young sheep we go for, Helen, it's their mothers!

Posted By: consuelo Re: Mediaeval hogwashing - 05/06/03 02:43 AM
Ewes guys!

© Wordsmith.org