Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm lant defined - 04/21/03 10:15 PM
choose one:

a) to walk bent into the wind

b) to control the flow of water in a sluice by means of a sluicegate; to send down a sluice, as of logs

c) Western Canadian variant of to rant: to complain, to whinge, to kvetch

d) to flatten one's self against the wall in an attempt to make oneself as invisible as possible

e) to rusticate, to remove oneself to the country, to lead a rural life; from Swedish lantlig -- rural, rustic

f) to speak forcefully with the sole aim of winning people to one point of view; may not necessarily be concerned with truth

g) to show courtesy to a woman (modern slang, a shortening of "gallant," used as a verb)

h) to mingle ale with stale urine to make it strong

i) to dance and frolick; to party: as on the village green on May Day or at harvest-home

j) in chemistry, to introduce a miniscule portion of an ingredient to a formula (i.e. add arsenic to lant); a pinch

k) to transmit a message to all members of a Local Area Network (LAN)

l) to be suspicious of something, i.e. to find it fishy

m) the usual word for to vomit before the more medical "vomit" and euphemistic "be sick" edged it out in the late 18th/early 19th century

n) to search for and over-emphasize trivial errors: nitpick [obs]

edit: entries from ASp, dxb, W-O'N, Wordwind, Bingley, consuelo, RubyRed, Coffeebean, wofa, Jackie, RC, Capfka & ron obvious; plus the obligatory big and/or old dictionary
Posted By: sjm Re: lant defined - 04/21/03 10:35 PM
Since I haven't got a whelk's chance in a supernova of getting it right, I shall rush in etc. B

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: lant defined - 04/21/03 10:48 PM
ooh, so many good choices! I shall pick...

j

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 12:39 AM
...and was H supposed to make stronger ale or stronger urine?

I'll reject the ones that are somehow distortions of "slant" or "rant" or "land"

Sluice? Frolick? Sluice? Frolick? I'll choose play over work - I it is!

Posted By: Bingley Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 03:55 AM
I do like a good frolic, so I.

Bingley
Posted By: RubyRed Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 06:37 AM
I like B for sluicing.....but then I like N for the nitpicking error searching.......awww shucks, I hate decisions. Then, again, it is
probably neither one, so does it really matter whether I choose B or N? Nope. So, N it is......

Posted By: sheepishlion lant - 04/22/03 06:49 AM
I like J too.

Posted By: Faldage Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 10:11 AM
I don't care what anyone says; I like A. It just tastes right.

Posted By: rav Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 10:17 AM
i like D, G & L.. that's why i'll take M

the most important is to be logical :))
Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 12:58 PM
I wish it were N - we need a new faldagian epithet! but it doesn't feel quite right. H, I, and M all have a 'good' feel to them but, on the whole, I think that sjm has got it right this time (for the second time, I think?)
So - - I'll go for B

Posted By: vanguard Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 02:37 PM
For my first try at Hogwarsh (circly-R symbol) I will choose A. Just because it sounds good to me. So.

Posted By: maahey Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 03:17 PM
I like N most.

And Vanguard, , I asked the very same circley R question a couple of months back and this is how I learnt to do it from the carpals!
You have to hit Alt and then, while still holding it down, key in 0174 on the RIGHT number pad without a space in between, anywhere; Like this ®, Voila! I believe tsuwm, called it, automagical! And it truly is! Oh and remember to have Num Lock on; it doesn't work otherwise!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 03:28 PM
Alt and then, while still holding it down, key in 0174

unless you're on a mac, then it's option-r

Posted By: of troy Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 03:39 PM
Re:I learnt to do it from the carpals!

Maahey, i loved this line....
i am not one to take much notice of the title the BB bestows, since a stranger, can on their first post add excitment to this board.. but i love being a carpel.

it works on several level.. some of us old timer have been known to carp!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 03:48 PM
I have to go with H, because there's nothing like fine aged urine to enchance the flavor and potency of a good ale!...I've seen urine cellars full of it.

Posted By: maahey Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 06:23 PM
...but i love being a carpel.

I don't wonder, of troy! And it is a most descriptive title, isn't it! And what's more, each one of you proud title owners is most deserving of it.

I will probably never have the carpal, but will be more than happy to settle for the carp! (N-nit pick)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 08:25 PM
I'll go with K Short, to-the-point, obvious, probably wrong, but:

I don't believe any of these definitions. H was disgusting. I would think drinking urine would kill you. If this turns out to be the correct definition, I would like to know which brands are lanted ale so I can avoid them.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 08:51 PM
I would think drinking urine would kill you.

No...urine is sterile...saved many a thirsting soul adrift at sea in lifeboats. And the Tudor cooks used child's urine as a food coloration (guess you didn't see the thread, yet).

Posted By: of troy Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 09:54 PM
and Urea, or urik acid, a component of urine, is commonly found in hand/face creams and cosmetics..check the ingredients of your favorite moisturizer.
nowdays, urea is created in lab, but originally...

Posted By: tsuwm Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 09:57 PM
>urine is sterile

*normal urine is sterile, but urine may become infected with bacteria. drink up fast!

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 10:03 PM
- and urine was an important component of the dyeing process - used as a mordant snce ancient times. I am led to believe that the Aztecs had public conveniences along the causeway from Mexico City to the mainland, and that people came out in boats to empty the contents thereof to use for just that purpose.

Sterility of urine was well-known in the ancient world, also. Wounds sustained in battle or whilst hunting were sterilised by pee-ing onto them. It is, of course, only sterile whilst abolutely fresh - urine attracts bacteria pretty swiftly [eek]

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: lant defined - 04/22/03 11:25 PM
And now for something completely different...AWAD's first Pee-rusal of Pee!

Posted By: of troy don't you just love organic chemistry? - 04/23/03 12:26 AM
RE:and urine was an important component of the dyeing process - used as a mordant snce ancient times.

actually, i think it it ammonia that is used, and urine will quickly become ammonia compounds as it oxidizes. it is critical for indigo, and the only mordant that yeilds the true blue.
fresh urine, brought to a simmer, is excellent for washing woolens. i remember my nana using... my mother used woolite.(but then, she didn't have a store of left over chamber pots as Nana did. Nana (in council housing) had indoor plumbing, but always worried about the "drains" and keep some chamber pots.)
Michael Criton, in his book "Eaters of the Dead" (the adventures of a arabian prince who visits the Viking north of the 13th century) comments on the viking use of collected urine to wash/bleach white the wooden floors of the houses. (and yes, ammonia will bleach or "pickle" wood, giving it a white tone,and a smooth finish)

don't you just love organic chemistry?

Posted By: Coffeebean Re: lant defined - 04/23/03 01:25 AM
...and now back to our regularly scheduled Hogwash® ...

I'm easily swayed by public opinion -- therefore I'll take J.

Hi Sheepishlion!

Posted By: consuelo Re: lant defined - 04/23/03 02:36 AM
I think I like E and that's my vote but A, J and M certainly are appealing, aren't they?

Posted By: Bingley Re: lant defined - 04/23/03 03:19 AM
In reply to:

I would think drinking urine would kill you.

Didn't Ghandi drink his own urine in the mornings as a tonic?

Edit for spelling: Gandhi
Bingley

Posted By: RubyRed Re: lant defined - 04/23/03 03:59 AM
>Alt and then, while still holding it down, key in 0174
unless you're on a mac, then it's option-r<

And isn't it wonderful to be able to do a simple thing
with one or two simple keystrokes?!

Mac Lover Ruby

Posted By: dxb Re: lant defined - 04/23/03 09:41 AM
I was sure this was going to be connected with combing wool, but there is nothing remotely connected with wool (unless you count nit picking). So its B for me.

Posted By: Faldage Re: lant defined - 04/23/03 10:53 AM
one or two simple keystrokes

ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ

Posted By: Wordwind Re: urine again - 04/23/03 11:38 AM
Back to urine:

OK. So you all say it's safe to drink--you bunch of lanter lauders.

But tell me about salt petre and sodium nitrate production. Is it the urine (bat, chicken, whatever) that eventually will lead to production of gun powder--or is it the fecal matter?

Posted By: of troy Re: urine again - 04/23/03 11:51 AM
It was guano that was used for gunpowder, and just guessing here, it was the urine, since ammonia (a nitrogen based compound) is a by product of oxidated urine.
as pointed out before, (thank you Dr.bill!) birds urine which is white, contains a different compound of urine, than most other animals. maybe that is what makes the difference..

crossing thread, i learned all of my organic chemistry from issac asimov's World of Carbon and World of Nitrogen-- two excellent books that are easily readable, and make chemistry fun!( but since there were no labs
-- i find i have to go back and read the volumes again every once in a while. i don't do organic chemistry, and the detail blur with time.)

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: lant defined - 04/23/03 11:54 AM

ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ

Following the thorny path again, faldage?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: as the thorn turns... - 04/23/03 01:09 PM
ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ

your point?

Posted By: Faldage Re: as the thorn turns... - 04/23/03 01:22 PM
your point?

Exactly.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: lant defined - 04/23/03 01:30 PM
I'm losing track 'midst all the micturation, but I think I still need votes from Jackie, ASp and Capfka before I can put an end to this round (not to say that this will end the attendant epistemology).

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: as the thorn turns... - 04/23/03 01:32 PM
Þ - cut and paste from Font Explorer
Þ - using key combination: & # 222 ;

just testing. this is getting thorny. I know we've been all through this before, but I'm using a new browser, and switching from Western to Unicode makes the thorns disappear...

sorry, tsuwm...

the character code thorn shows whether I'm viewing in Western or Unicode, the pasted thorn disappears in Unicode... [second edit-now they both disappeared]

why should I care...
Posted By: Faldage Re: as the thorn turns... - 04/23/03 01:40 PM
The key combo is 6 strokes versus 5 (counting the ALT, which is no different that a shift so hardly counts) for the PC standard. I don't know off hand how convenient the C&P from the Font Explorer is. Plus it keeps coming up as <THORN> on the Mac at home. So remember, I use both so I'm unbiased.

And I go along with Dave Barry's observation that the Windows machines outsold the Macs because it's easier to win at PC solitaire.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: lant defined - 04/23/03 02:01 PM
Just for giggles, and because I have nothing whatsoever to go on <ahem>, I'll go along with sjm and vote for B

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: lant defined - 04/23/03 03:50 PM
Following the thorny path again, faldage?

No, no...drop the "t" from the 3rd word.

Posted By: Jackie Re: lant defined - 04/25/03 07:00 PM
J

Posted By: Capfka Re: lant defined - 04/25/03 07:38 PM
Love h. Gotta go with that, don'I?

© Wordsmith.org