Wordsmith.org
armil

choose one: [vote now, avoid the Christmas rush!]

a) the space in between hair follicles

b) a baby armadillo

c) a leather bag used to hang gear or supplies on a horse during the US Civil war, which also converts into a backpack

d) the smooth area between the head of a bolt or screw and the threads

e) referring to the habit of European women not shaving under their arms

f) a little armadillo

g) to make a rich discovery, to unearth wealth

h) poor in spirit, downtrodden; afflicted

i) an ancient astronomical instrument for determining equinoxes and solstices by shadows cast by the sun

j) Armed Forces jargon for secret super-lightweight protective gear, named for armor and millimeter thickness

k) an ornamental armband or bracelet

l) the device on a sextant or octant through which the sighting is made

m) a secondary, ornate branch on a multi-tiered chandelier

n) an herb used in ancient times in purification ceremonies

o) a Spanish diminutive describing a dwarf armadillo

p) a tattoo around the upper arm signifying rank within the Olmec military priesthood

q) [regional Welsh colloquialism] one thousand, traditionally applied to livestock

r) an early attempt at e-mail technology, now obsolete

s) a small suit of armor to cover a falcon's breast; since transferred in remote parts of Cornwall to signify the dressing of a Christmas goose

t) a young armadillo

{I kid you not!}

entries from: RC, etaoin, maahey, TFF, sjm, Ww, Bingley, dxb, bonzai, Capfka, consuelo, Asp, wofa, Faldage, WO'N, Jeepers(?), musick, Jackie, ron obvious, and a really big dictionary

I hope I got everyone's armadillo entry.

Also, milum's entry was SO succinct that I had to burn it before reading... oh, wait... that's top secret.
Never mind.

-your humble, and obstipated, hogmaster®

Posted By: musick Hogmaster 37 - 12/18/02 04:50 PM

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Hogmaster 37 - 12/18/02 05:22 PM
Turn around four times and shout: Armadillo! It'll bring you good luck!

And, if you believe that, you've got a screw loose somewhere.

Speaking of screws, I cast my vote for d because I love learning the names of things you've looked at a million times and never knew the name of, even if it's incorrect and a big fat lie the way most of these entries are.

But, come to think of it, I like knowing the name of the space between hair follicles.

Well, I'll stick with d since that's a useful word to know:

Example of definition d applied in a bit of dialogue from a riveting play:

Rooster: Nokey! You didn't screw the dadburned screw down far enough!

Nokey: What you talkin' 'bout, Roostuh?

Rooster: The dadburned armil is stickin' up out of the wall and it looks tacky as hell.

Nokey: Glad you brought that to my attention. I'll screw the armil down flat as a little armadillo in the road.

Since the plural of armadillo is probably not armadilli I choose i.

Bingley
Grateful, humbled and embarrassed that my caterwauling prompted the HM to reinstate my entry, I'll side with Bingley, and vote I

obviou

S

Mmmm. This one is, um, difficult.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Department of Redundancy Department - 12/19/02 12:22 PM
For greatest internal consistency - the word sounds appropriate for the language of the definition - I have to vote for P, the tattoo around the upper arm signifying rank within the Olmec military priesthood . Even the Romans knew "Armil virumque cano..." opening lines of Virgil's Aeneid, just about

And I also have a linguistic problem with all the "little armadillos." Aren't they already a diminutive? Small armadas, I would presume? It's redundant to diminish them any more.

P.S. to tswum: Even our esteemed spell-checker has been co-opted. See what it has to say: "Small armadas, [armadillo] I would presume?... "

P.P.S. If _it_ can underline all the red words, why can't I?

A

And I also have a linguistic problem with all the "little armadillos." Aren't they already a diminutive? Small armadas, I would presume? It's redundant to diminish them any more.

Since no armadillo is an island, presumably the death of any armadillo diminishes those that are left, when all is said and donne.

I agree with etaoin, that this was cooked up by ron obviouS

What a wonderful Christmas gift Hogmaster®! By suspending the old rule that similar definitions are automatically discarded, your Yuletide heart is offering us the hallowed opportunity to chart four definitions with just one vote! Oh, the joys of the season! So this is your special "wherein all becomes obvious" gifting to us! [reaching-for-a tissue-e...sniff, sniff] Touching, simply touching...I'm humbled by your graciousness. Therefore, I must gratefully pay homage to your holiday gesture by voting for all the armadillos, B-F-O and T, as one vote! Thanks, HogSanta!

YeS, an S for me please.

On the subject of armadillos: What do you call a naked armadillo? A dillo

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Yikes!! - 12/19/02 07:12 PM
Peccadillos (n.b. besides the animal safari, I also noticed two Celtic references) aside, there are several very good daffy-nitions here. I rarely side with Faldage in such porcine matters, but today I must:

M, for moi.

You could have knocked over with a feather when I saw the Hoglist and discovered that there were actually two correct definitions for the word ARMIL. I had forgotten that armil means P as well as the one I was gonna submit.

I was still refining my definition of ARMIL when tsuwm called "Time!" and was therefore excluded from the list. I offer my definition now merely to entertain my fellow Hogwashers while tsuwm drags this Hogwash on and on until one of his whims moves him to confirm the correct definition. I hereby vote for P while the proof of the truth of my disqualified definition is self-evident. (see below)

ARMIL a mnemonic. (as below)

A  position 1 from the front  26 from the back
R 19 8
M 14 13
I 9 18
L 11 15

total   [54]subtracted from [80] equals [26]     

armil is a good simple mnemonic to remember the number of letters in the english alphabet (26). The letters A,R,M,I,L, are the only grouping of five letters known to exhibit this quality.

Posted By: Jeepers Jeepers reincarnation - 12/20/02 05:09 AM
I'm a friend of Consuelo's and will be channeling through Jeepers until she gets me addicted to this place.
So that's my answer. a

-Da Yooper

My vote goes to d as a reward for lateral thinking.

ARMIL a mnemonic. (as below)

A position 1 from the front 26 from the back
R 19 8
M 14 13
I 9 18
L 11 15

total [54]subtracted from [80] equals [26]

Ha! I have caught you out, Mr milum!!

Is this an example of your mathematical deficiency? or are you guilty of mathematical casuistry?
(or are you just a no-count guy? )

The equation, properly set forth, reads as follows (corrections emphasised)

A 1 26

R 18 9

M 13 14

I 9 18

L 12 15
__ __
53 82

82-53=29

This is no help, not even for the Cyrillic alphabet.

In reply to:

This is no help, not even for the Cyrillic alphabet.

Rhubarb,

You're in error. milum used new math.

WW

. milum used new math. ~ ww

Thanks Wordwind, but tsuwm was rushing me so I decided to set a number trap for numerical nitpickers. Before one goes to Ireland one want to know exactly whom has kissed the Blarney Stone and who all will be exchanging nits with Faldage.

milum used new math.

Pshaw! sounds more like new meths - probably mixed with old red wine. [/grumpy fit]

whom has kissed

First new math, now new grammar: what next??

to know exactly ... who all will be exchanging nits with Faldage.

My nits already exchanged gene-pools with Faldage's quite successfully this summer, thank you.

In reply to:

My nits already exchanged gene-pools with Faldage's

Yes, AnnaS. It's the Way of the World. Always Something New. And with the above observation by our Rhubarb, we have New Biology.

I think I'll vote for K, ok?

we've heard from everyone except maahey, Capfka and Jackie (although musick just laughed and left). I really would like to close this off before we all embarrass ourselves much further.

I thnk it's too late for that. Just a SWAG -- I'm taking h.

With much toe scuffing for the shameless volte-face and even more panting for being late, and after a lot of capricious swinging between 'd' and 'i'; I shall plump for d

Exception! I would like to exercise my hog given right to change my vote to J . I've received new information that supports this move.

...he, he, he... ho, ho, ho...

Oh.... um.... "J" and not just because milum has new information...

In reply to:

Exception! I would like to exercise my hog given right to change my vote to J .

--milum

You misapplied the secret rules, even unbeknownst to tsuwm, milum. You can only change your vote after the winner has been announced.

Best regards,
WW

Posted By: AnnaStrophic BTW, tsuwm - 12/22/02 05:25 PM
I don't think you'll hear from Capfka on this unless he decides to report in from gay Paree.

Posted By: Jackie Okay, okay - 12/23/02 03:31 PM
I wanted to vote for J, because I think it's a lovely definition, and it just happens to be a letter I'm rather fond of, but I was afraid people would make the association, so... Then I was going to vote for S as the most unlikely, but I see it's got several already. So I vote for L, because it doesn't have any votes yet, and because I want to ask whether there is such a thing as a septant. I see maahey has posted elsewhere--you may want to send a PM re: voting. And I doubt we'll be hearing from CK until at least the 27th.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Okay, okay - 12/23/02 04:08 PM
and because I want to ask whether there is such a thing as a septant.
It sounds as though it might be an instrument that the doctor uses to look up you nose!

Posted By: tsuwm what's the score, then? - 12/23/02 06:06 PM
a) the space in between hair follicles (jackie) The Fiend, Jeepers

b) a baby armadillo

c) a leather bag used to hang gear or supplies on a horse during the US Civil war, which also converts into a backpack

d) the smooth area between the head of a bolt or screw and the threads (etaoin) Wordwind, dxb, maahey

e) referring to the habit of European women not shaving under their arms

f) a little armadillo

g) to make a rich discovery, to unearth wealth

h) poor in spirit, downtrodden; afflicted (The Falible Fiend) TEd

i) an ancient astronomical instrument for determining equinoxes and solstices by shadows cast by the sun (Webster's Third Int'l) Bingley, sjm

j) Armed Forces jargon for secret super-lightweight protective gear, named for armor and millimeter thickness (wofa) milum, musick

k) an ornamental armband or bracelet (sjm) consuelo

l) the device on a sextant or octant through which the sighting is made (Faldage) jackie

m) a secondary, ornate branch on a multi-tiered chandelier (wordwind) Faldage, ASp

n) an herb used in ancient times in purification ceremonies

o) a Spanish diminutive describing a dwarf armadillo

p) a tattoo around the upper arm signifying rank within the Olmec military priesthood (dxb) wofa

q) [regional Welsh colloquialism] one thousand, traditionally applied to livestock

r) an early attempt at e-mail technology, now obsolete

s) a small suit of armor to cover a falcon's breast; since transferred in remote parts of Cornwall to signify the dressing of a Christmas goose (ASp) etaoin, RC, bonzai

t) a young armadillo

---

irregularities.. yes, we seem to have more irregularities than votes this time.

o four equivalent and interchangeable def'ns are received.
o juan casts his ballot four ways, ¼ vote each for b, f, o and t; but wait, one of those was an 'own vote', so that makes 1/3 vote for each--I have a a better idea: I'll just throw this (these?) ballot out.
o ASp and Faldage vote for the same definition.
o sjm submits a definition which comes very close to being the obsolete sense of the word, and receives a lovely attaboy PM artifact.
o Bingley and wofa both submit a definition based on armillary sphere, which as far as I can determine is exactly the same thing as an armil.
o Bingley and sjm each scope out the True Meaning (although wofa also knew it, see above).
o ASp and etaoin each collect three(3) votes, respectively.
o milum... well, none of milum's actions could possibly be construed as irregular; never mind.
o given all this, the hogmaster® throws up his arms into the air and his lunch onto the ground and refuses to do any formal scoring.

happy holidays

Posted By: Faldage Re: what's the score, then? - 12/23/02 06:21 PM
o ASp and Faldage vote for the same definition.

A) Are you suggesting we colluded? We have been scrupulously honest about our voting, about our definition inventing and about keeping our respective definitions secret from each other, both. So a big fat Harrumph®! to you, sirrah!

2) What, don't I get an attaboy PM artifact for being in the same county as the right answer? Double Harrumph®!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: what's the score, then? - 12/23/02 07:24 PM
A) I believe it was the ASp herownse'f who noted this irregularity.
2) No.

Posted By: Faldage Re: what's the score, then? - 12/23/02 08:13 PM
It was only an irregularity with respect to our personal relationship and had nothing to do with the game of Hogwash®. Therefore it has no business being noted in any list of irregularities concomitant with the scoring of the game est. 37. I demand, sirrah, your immediate withdrawal of the offending comment or I shall meet you, with seconds, out behind the Museum of Questionable Medical Devices!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: what's the score, then? - 12/23/02 08:54 PM
yippee!! I got three votes!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: what's the score, then? - 12/23/02 09:01 PM
^5, eta!

Posted By: consuelo Re: what's the score, then? - 12/23/02 09:37 PM
Don't I get an attagirl for sniffing out the obsolete answer that gave sjm his attaboy? [pout-e]

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: what's the score, then? - 12/24/02 02:32 AM
I demand, sirrah, your immediate withdrawal of the offending comment or I shall meet you, with seconds, out behind the Museum of Questionable Medical Devices!

Das'right! And I emphatically, and gratefully, volunteer to stand-up as your second, O noble Faldage, for having my vote dissected and then tossed into the trash along with the heap of wrapping paper trimmings, just because I voted for my own definition! Harrumph!® (I'm so mad I'm actually adding the tradmark to that!) Da noive of it all! HogSanta seems to be switching his gift with coal! Shame, shame, shame. Oh, well...since it 'tis the season (double "its" intentional!), I will show my best elf-like demeanor and withdraw my vote for myself, thereby releasing a whole one-third vote back to each of the other 'dillo dillies!
Merry, Merry, Merry Christmas!

Posted By: milum Re: what's the score, then? - 12/24/02 10:09 AM

Hey! Wait Whitman! Don't despair!
I googled my google off but I think I found them...

_ >---> >> The Lost Rules of Hogwash << <---<__

Hidden away in the Quatrains of Nostradamus, Canto 13, Quatrain 666, was this...(translated freely from the french)

O'Saki, when the false swan fails to score against your name,
It matters not whether you win or lose, O Saki
The WereWitch Consuelmo will mark your play of game.

What does this mean?
Who is the false swan?
Who is the werewench consuelmo?
What happened to the missing line of the quatrain?
Who won this round of Hogwash? Me?
Who is wished a Merry Christmas? The Hogwashers?
Yes.

Posted By: consuelo Authors please? - 12/24/02 10:38 AM
Oh, pretty please Mr. Hogmaster, all has not been made obvious! Half the fun of this game, or at least one third, is in finding out who invented which definition! Who wrote all the armadillos? The leather transformer bag? European women not shaving under their arms? and all the rest?

Posted By: Faldage Re: what's the score, then? - 12/24/02 12:35 PM
It's obvious, Mr. Minderbinder, that the false swan is either me or etaoin.

And thank you for coming so nobly to my defense.

Or were you offering to be tsuwm's second?

And, Juan, I accept your offer.

Posted By: musick What the..? - 12/24/02 02:27 PM
Since I'm not gonna bother looking up the actual® definition, I'll presume it to be something like "ornamental wrist bands made out of baby, dwarf armadillos".

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Authors please? - 12/24/02 03:27 PM
>Who wrote all the armadillos?

I left those off to protect the ingenuous. gosh, I was so sorely tempted to add another armadillo definition, making a hogshead of armadillos.

Posted By: milum Re: Authors please? - 12/24/02 06:37 PM
Or were you offering to be tsuwm's second?

Yes Mr. Faldage, I will be tsuwm's second, third, forth, or fifth if he will have me.
And as his man-in-waiting I will caution him to be wary of your tricks.

Choose your weapons. Merriam-Webster or American Heritage? It matters not a rats damn to us.

We wait with the confidence of the just.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc animal quackers - 12/24/02 07:05 PM
...a hogshead of armadillos

Is that bigger or smaller than a cask of armadillos, written about by that famous bear Edgar Allen Pooh? (multiple cross-threads)

Posted By: Faldage Re: Authors please? - 12/24/02 08:32 PM
Merriam-Webster or American Heritage?

Brick and mortar OED. Without Supplement.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: animal quackers - 12/27/02 01:39 AM
cask of armadillos

No, no, no, wofadoc...that's The Cask of Armadillado! ...of which, HogSanta, I just so happen to have a well-concealed stash in a secret reach of the catacombs...I know how you crave its superb subtle flavor...follow me...oh, no! not at all! it's nothing! please, I bid you! my pleasure! I don't share my armadillado with just anyone you know! toss my vote for my daffy def into the trash heap, will you, hmmm? yes, the dampness is quite piercing here, good HogSanta, but it's certainly worth enduring this discomfort for a taste of the rare, the delicate, the inspiring flavor of armadillado! I'm not surprised you agree, good HogSanta...follow me...it's right this way... yes, yes, you're quite right...poefully succinct, and delicious! brick...mortar...brick...mortar...brick...mortar...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: animal quackers - 12/27/02 12:11 PM
Snow gettin to ya, Juan?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: animal quackers - 12/29/02 08:49 PM
Snow gettin to ya, Juan?

No - he's just having one of his poetic turns

Also why sjm didn't get a flat out attaboy

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20021227.html

Posted By: sjm Re: wherein the lack of attagirl becomes obvious - 12/30/02 11:22 PM
Since "attaboy" appears to have become the apple of dischord, I shall attempt to soothe the savaged beasts by mentioning that no such accolade ever found its way into my PM box.

I'm quite sure I sent a PM at the time, explaining that while you were 'right on' with your definition, I wasn't giving you the 'right on' bonus, in that it was obsolete.

now, I will admit that this could be construed, by a small-minded individual, as a somewhat back-handed attaboy...

Posted By: sjm Re: wherein the lack of attagirl becomes obvious - 12/30/02 11:37 PM
>by a small-minded individual,

That's me - Small J. Minded at your service.

© Wordsmith.org