Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm what new words do you like? - 09/09/00 03:34 PM
define "new"... define "like"

shall we arbitrarily say that coined in the 20th century qualifies as new? (which would mean that words like 'verbicide' and 'frumious' and 'vorpal' and 'illth' are not new!) anyway, here are some:

grok (Heinlein '61)
booboisie (Mencken '22)
bibliobibuli (Mencken ??)
grotty (Burke '64)
pataphysics (Jarry '45)
pataphysical (?Lennon & McCarney '71)
senior moment (c. '98)
boondocks (?U.S. Marines '44)
backslash (BYTE '82)
garbology (Rathje c. '76)
logophile (??)

I hasten to add that I don't particularly *like 'senior moment'; it's just that I'm of an age where the phrase has a certain... je ne sais quoi.

Posted By: william Re: what new words do you like? - 09/11/00 01:34 PM
since i asked the question myself (in a different thread), i guess i ought to answer. actually it's a tough one. phrases are out because they usually use old words to create new meanings.
happify is apparently out(!)
how about "vegan"? but it's not a word you could actually like.
what about "jazz"? some people don't like the music (for some bizarre reason), but the word is hardly offensive.

i'll keep thinking, but unfortunately, having a slightly pickled brain, it takes a looooong time for anything to come out.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: what new words do you like? - 09/11/00 11:36 PM
since i asked the question myself (in a different thread)...

What!? Tsuwm is YARTing?
To quote Jackie (pet peeves, July 25):

"ALL RIGHT--WHO ARE YOU, AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE W/ TSUWM?"

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: what new words do you like? - 09/11/00 11:41 PM
I'm kinda fond of "cyber." I used to know who coined it. Extremely useful word/modifier.

Posted By: Jackie Re: what new words do you like? - 09/13/00 01:11 AM
Well, I finally thought of one, thanks to your Mencken
quote in your other thread. It can be very accurate, which is why I don't particularly like it, and also why I do like
it (she said enigmatically)!

"Trophy wife".

Posted By: johnjohn Re: what new words do you like? - 09/13/00 06:24 AM
"cyber" - William Gibson always gets credited with coining "cyberspace" in 1984, but he certainly didn't invent "cyber" as I'm old enough to remember Dr Who and the Cybermen from c.1970. I guess it all stems from "cybernetics", however old that is.....

"trophy wife" - I also love that one because it is SO emotive and instantly redolent of familiar themes. It also never ceases to amaze me how common it is, particularly on one side of the pond.....

Posted By: johnjohn Re: what new words do you like? - 09/13/00 06:30 AM
one I've recently noticed is "pear shaped", as in it's all gone pear shaped, ie horribly wrong. I think it originates as a UK expression - does it have currency in the US? In Oz there's the expression "She'll be apples" for "Everything will be fine". Perhaps they're connected???

( - perhaps this post should be in the apples and pears thread?!!)

Posted By: johnjohn Re: what new words do you like? - 09/13/00 06:33 AM
...I meant the apples and oranges thread

Posted By: Bridget Re: what new words do you like? - 09/13/00 08:53 AM
someone please explain senior moment to me...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: what new words do you like? - 09/13/00 11:44 AM
someone please explain senior moment to me...

Sure... it's, ah... what was the question again?

Posted By: jmh Re: what new words do you like? - 09/14/00 07:20 AM
>Sure... it's, ah... what was the question again?

I'm sure that my children could identify with that one!

My favourite is "lost the plot" - another familiar refrain.

Posted By: wsieber new words - 09/14/00 08:14 AM
We might as well include biodiversity here, as an example of a word freshly created for a disappearing entity

Posted By: Jackie Re: new words - 09/14/00 02:11 PM
Just got these in from Word Flex. The first is certainly
apt for me! (BTW I had not heard of any of these before.)

MOUSE POTATO:
The on-line, wired generation's equivalent of the "couch potato."

OHNO-SECOND:
That minuscule fraction of time in which you realize that you've just made a really, really big mistake.

SALMON DAY:
A day you've spent "swimming against the current," only to discover at the end of it that, at least as far as that day's concerned, all you've done is died!

STARTER MARRIAGE:
A short-lived first marriage that ends in divorce with "no kids, no property, and no regrets."

STRESS PUPPY:
A person who seems to thrive on telling everybody how much stress he or she has been feeling. (Think that'll take the place of "cheese and whine parties"?)

Posted By: Bridget Re: new words - 09/17/00 05:59 AM
I like 'yomp', because the sound of it (and the feel of it if you say it) fit so superbly with the meaning.

Not sure if this word has made it out of the UK yet?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: new words - 09/17/00 06:08 AM
I like 'yomp', because the sound of it (and the feel of it if you say it) fit so superbly with the meaning.

Very true. Since I first heard it as a 14 year old watching TV coverage of the Falklands conflict, I have loved the way "yomp" rolls off the tongue, and it is very evocative. That could be largely by association, but the word brings back vivid images, and seems to hint at the exertion involved in yomping.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: new words - 09/17/00 12:53 PM
>Not sure if this word has made it out of the UK yet?

this is the first I've heard of it... and it doesn't turn up at all in OneLook. but the OED has it, so it will soon be covered by WWFTD (and therefore OneLook)!

Posted By: maverick Re: new words - 09/18/00 04:40 PM
Old hands will know all ropes. New hands struggle: for example in this string I've seen ref to 'Onelook', 'WWFTD', and 'Word Flex', all of which are not yet known to me.

Is there already (or otherwise could we build) a simple index to word-related sites AWAD subscribers have found as a useful resource? I recently got posted a superb such collection of library-orientated research sites.

Which leaves only the drudgery of having to live off-line in the intervals...:)

Posted By: Jackie Re: new words - 09/18/00 08:14 PM
AUGH-GH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I HATE the word "orientated"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: "orientated" vs "oriented" - 09/18/00 08:34 PM
Jackie, I think that's standard Britspeak. They do like the extra syllable, y'know: witness "aluminium" and "speciality" (awaiting word from across the Pond....)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: new words - 09/18/00 08:37 PM
maverick, I think that's a splendid idea. In fact, I started such a thread way back when in "Miscellany" but it didn't take.... perhaps our word guru tsuwm would be so kind to re-start it with these word-related sites (one of which is his baby) and we can contribute others.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: new words - 09/18/00 09:13 PM

Very true. Since I first heard it as a 14 year old watching TV coverage of the Falklands conflict, I have loved the way "yomp" rolls off the tongue, and it is very evocative. That could be largely by association, but the word brings back vivid images, and seems to hint at the exertion involved in yomping.

I've never heard this word before, and I can't figure out what it means, either. Perhaps I'm not picking up the clues, but I'm visualizing a yawn mixed with a chomp, but I truly doubt that's the meaning. Could you please enlighten me?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: new words - 09/18/00 09:59 PM
I've never heard this word before, and I can't figure out what it means, either. Perhaps I'm not picking up the clues, but I'm visualizing a yawn mixed with a chomp, but I truly doubt that's the meaning. Could you please enlighten me?

My Chambers defines it this way: "yomp, (esp. mil. coll.) v.i. to carry heavy equipment on foot over difficult terrain. [Poss. imit.]"

A quick search at Google reveals that the verb is now used very widely in British English to refer to hiking and tramping generally.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: "orientated" vs "oriented" - 09/18/00 10:19 PM
(awaiting word from across the Pond....)

I'm across the other Pond, but "orientate" jars on me as well. My Chambers makes no reference to any particular variant being responsible for "orientate", but it sounds to me like a back-formation from "orientation" more than an example of the British fondness for extra syllables. My grandparents were sticklers for British pronunciation (trait=tray, mall=mell), and they would never let me get away with "orientate." Interestingly, Merriam-Webster's site tells us that "orientate" first surfaced in 1849, and dictionary,.com has some interesting specimens of its use. Just my $0.02

Posted By: tsuwm Re: new words - 09/19/00 02:27 AM
for OneLook, etc. see 'online dictionaries' thread in miscellany

Posted By: wsieber Re: "orientated" vs "oriented" - 09/19/00 06:16 AM
I remember when, about 35 year ago, I was laughed at by a native English-speaker when I translated the German "orientiert" by "orientated"! In the meantime it seems to have become accepted because something more vague than "oriented" was needed. You can say "oriented WSW", but "orientated" covers half the horizon .

Posted By: jmh Re: "orientated" vs "oriented" - 09/19/00 09:45 AM
In fact, it would be hard to translate Helmut Ziegert's 1980 article, entitled "Objektorientierte und problemorientierte Forschungsansätze in der Archäologie" in any other way!

Said she intellectually!

We do like our extra letters.

Posted By: Jackie Re: "orientated" vs "oriented" - 09/19/00 11:54 AM
, I was laughed at by a native English-speaker when I translated the German "orientiert" by "orientated"!

GRR, she said, bristling up! It is VERY RUDE to laugh at
someone's innocent mistake. Just goes to show what kind of person they were, muttermuttermutter...

BTW, I hear that horrible word here, all too often.

Posted By: johnjohn Re: new words - 09/19/00 07:42 PM
does yomp=schlep?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: new words - 09/19/00 08:00 PM
I'd say that 'yomp' is more akin to 'slog' and doesn't schlep the negative baggage of 'schlep'.

Posted By: Jackie Re: new words - 09/20/00 02:04 AM
My husband uses the term 'hump' for what I think yomp means.
For ex., he'll say the scouts humped the canoes over the
portage, or he and somebody humped the desk up the stairs.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: new words - 09/20/00 02:12 AM
okay, specifically yomp was used in the Falklands to indicate a forced march with heavy packs; now I think it is used in Britain generally for hiking with a pack...

Posted By: jmh Re: new words - 09/20/00 07:42 AM
Hump

You might not wish to know what "hump" means here.

Posted By: Bridget Re: new words - 09/20/00 09:34 AM
>You might not wish to know what "hump" means here.<

Oh, I think gutter-dwelling Jackie would wish to know!

But the difference between 'yomp' and 'hump' (in Jackie's sense) is that yomp is intransitive and hump is transitive.
I feel like heading back to 'Dried Words' - this is another case where the one word has more than one meaning inherent in it. To be hiking and to be heavily laden. No object required. One just yomps acros the countryside and an overfilled backpack appears as if by magic in the listener's (reader's) mind's eye.

Posted By: Jackie Re: new words - 09/20/00 03:13 PM
gutter-dwelling Jackie???

HEY!! I resemble that remark!

And yes, jmh-who-posted-a-saying-I-am-too-emmbarrassed-to-even-type, I DO just so happen to know the other meaning!

I think my husband picked up the term from the Vietnam
veterans he used to work with.

Ack--just re-checked this. You've got me stuttering with
emm-barrassment! I'm not even going to change it! Gee-mi-NEE, I could NEVER tell anyone that!!!

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: what new words do you like? - 09/26/00 06:24 PM
I like sitcom, since it applies so well to myself. Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage.

Posted By: Bridget Re: what new words do you like? - 09/27/00 10:30 AM
>I like sitcom<

I find it entertaining, but I haven't been aware of it being used in day-to-day speech. It still seems to be one that has to be 'explained' - I think this means it is still in the throes of birth as a word! (at least in this part of the world)

Nimby, on the other hand, I think has made the crossover. And I like it because it reminds me of namby-pamby and I do think the nimbies are very namby pamby. (Like meat-eaters who can't bear to kill or gut or skin an animal - there's an inherent contradiction between what they want to enjoy and their unwillingness to endure what is needed to get there.)

Posted By: tsuwm Re: what new words do you like? - 09/27/00 02:23 PM
...and nimby reminds of the also acronymic posslq /poz el cue/
(Person of the Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters)

| There's nothing that I wouldn't do,
| If you would be my Posslq,
| You'd live for me and I for you
| If you would be my Posslq.
| We'd live forever, you and me,
| In blessed posslq-ity!

-Charles Osgood

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: what new words do you like? - 10/12/00 11:16 PM
I know this is very late in the day/thread but...

I think "cybernetics" was a term invented by Turing, the computer genius/visionary and man largely responsible for breaking the Enigma code. He also first conceived of AIs, which is really where the phrase comes in to its own, as it is meant to mean "steersmanship".. or perhaps self-steering.
Or something.
Derived from an ancient Greek mythical figure I recall.

And I remember the Cybermen too! Now, THEY used to have me hiding behind the couch.

Posted By: Bingley Re: what new words do you like? - 10/13/00 05:37 AM
Cybermen, Ice Warriors, Yeti, Alpha Centauri, Leila, K9, Sarah Jane Smith: those were the days.

Bingley
Posted By: jmh Re: what new words do you like? - 10/13/00 09:46 AM
I like the Yeti best. It's funny, when you see re-runs it just looks like a load of cardboard boxes, a few egg cartons, a bit of tin foil and some sticky back plastic. It made Thunderbirds look hi-tec but at the time it was so scary.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: what new words do you like? - 10/13/00 11:07 AM
Fishman,
Thought you'd be interested in knowing that by fairly general consensus, we have named the AWAD spell-checker "Enigma."

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: what new words do you like? - 10/13/00 08:50 PM
What, because it translates meaningless gibberish into highly pertinent information?

That's anastrophic to any spell-checker I've ever met before.

Now, strictly speaking spell-checkers are anathema to me (stuck-up spelling bee), but I'm going to click the button and watch Enigma do something wonderful before posting this!

How does it look?

Posted By: FishonaBike Enigma - 10/13/00 08:51 PM
I see why it's called Enigma now!!

Posted By: FishonaBike science-fiction nostalgia - 10/13/00 09:01 PM
Bingley - Sarah Jane Smith is the telling one! Yes, couldn't agree more.

Jo - ah, but let's not forget Blake's Seven, which came out about the same time as Star Wars but with effects poorer than most episodes of Dr. Who!

And I'm watching a re-run of Thunderbirds at the moment, telling my 3 year old son what's what. And it IS high-tech.
Gerry Anderson is The Man for serious-looking harware. Look how long it took Hollywood to catch up in terms of making vehicles look dirty and used. Shame about the puppets, that's all...

Oops a wee bit off-thread there. Neer mind, I'll just change the title.

Posted By: Bingley Re: science-fiction nostalgia - 10/14/00 04:36 AM
In reply to:

Shame about the puppets, that's all...

I will not hear a single word against Lady Penelope.

Bingley

Posted By: Bingley Re: science-fiction nostalgia - 10/14/00 02:26 PM
And for those of you who have no idea what we're talking about:
http://www.drwho.org/drwho.html

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/trekker/thunder.html

Bingley
Posted By: maverick Re: science-fiction nostalgia - 10/14/00 11:32 PM
a single word against Lady Penelope.

"No, Mi'lady!"

The Parker Fan Club Rules.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: science-fiction nostalgia - 10/14/00 11:43 PM
Thank-you thank-you Bingley. I was racking my brains trying to figure out what show you were talking about. In my youth, ours was mostly a French household so all show titles were translated from the English. There were several in which marionettes were involved. When you mentioned Lady Penelope (Pénélope) I knew you were talking about Les sentinelles de l’air. We (seven kids) never missed an episode. What was the one based in the sea?

Posted By: maverick Re: science-fiction nostalgia - 10/15/00 12:13 AM
the one based in the sea?

Let me guess - 20,000 Bicycles Under the Sea
http://www.stingray.com.tw/

No, nearly:
http://tv21.simplenet.com/productions/stingray/stingray.html

and for more Gerry Andersen supermarionation stuff, try:
http://www.thunderbirdsonline.com/1000/

For a Francophone touch - BON SURF !
http://myweb.worldnet.net/~stefelut/thunder.html

Apart from Stingray, there was also Fireball XL5, Space 1999, and several others. I saw an article a while ago protesting that the re-runs filling TV now just show the ages of the TV programmers

Posted By: belMarduk Re: science-fiction nostalgia - 10/15/00 02:20 AM
Marvelous, tks mav! It IS Stingray. I remember there was always a background song about <Marina>. And I think some reruns are not all that bad. It’s fun, even if they were put together for kitsch value. Or is my age showing there .

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: science-fiction nostalgia - 10/15/00 10:30 PM
The Parker Fan Club Rules

Sorry Bingley, I have to agree with Mav. After all, Lady Penelope pretty much was Sylvia Anderson (or was it the other way around?) and she gave my mate Gerry a hard time!

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: science-fiction nostalgia - 10/15/00 10:33 PM
Thanks, Bingley - those references are great.
I particularly like the Thunderbirds one - all you need to know on one page.

Posted By: FishonaBike translations - 10/15/00 10:47 PM
bel,
So "Thunderbirds" became "Les sentinelles de l'air"? I suppose that's a more informative title, really, though not as exciting IMHO. But is there not a French equivalent for "thunderbird"?
"Tonnereoiseau"?? Uh, maybe not that literal!

Actually, I'll have to see if "thunderbird" is in the English dictionary. I suspect not.

Was Stingray's title translated too?

It's always interesting how translation is hardly ever a matter of swapping words for supposed equivalents in another language.

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: science-fiction nostalgia - 10/15/00 11:02 PM
I saw an article a while ago protesting that the re-runs filling TV now just show the ages of the TV programmers
Well, mav, the programmers' ages (or at least their knowledge of past programs) has to be a factor in their choice of what to re-run. In the case of most Gerry Anderson stuff, it's fine by me.

Every time Thunderbirds is shown it appears to grab a new generation, quite apart from the fogeys like me that are enjoying it, what, 3rd time around? I think Gerry Anderson really plugged into what kids love with the show.

In other words, it is a classic!

(A very moderate statement from a very moderate fish)

Posted By: Bingley Re: science-fiction nostalgia - 10/16/00 04:49 AM
In reply to:

Oops a wee bit off-thread there

FishonaBike, now that you've had a chance to look about a bit, would you care to define "off-thread" in a way that would make sense in AWAD terms?

Bingley

Posted By: FishonaBike purely off-thread - 10/16/00 03:33 PM
would you care to define "off-thread" in a way that would make sense in AWAD terms?

Hmmm, I think this is a similar problem to that of defining when a creature has evolved into a different species.
Or better:
If you start with a caterpillar and end up with a butterfly (or more likely, a whole - errr - sprocketpool of them) does the butterfly contain the caterpillar?

Does it matter?

Mutant fish with cycling abilities

Posted By: maverick Re: purely off-thread - 10/16/00 04:51 PM
fish with cycling abilities

Well, Fishy, we've long accepted this board seems to have revolutionary tendencies, but now... well I guess the only difference between the two is getting your Rs in gear

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: what new words do you like? - 10/17/00 12:21 AM
This is ridiculously late I know, but I just had a small epiphany (an epiphanette?) - I realised that one new word that I like very much is one used widely here. Emoticon is, I think, a wonderful neologism. Just saying the word makes me think smiley thoughts. It is interesting that even here, among people with very exacting standards of language, emoticon seems to have become right at home. If those whose language skills I envy are comfortable using it, emoticon must be a very acceptable new word.
yart gratia yartis

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: what new words do you like? - 10/17/00 12:37 AM
>yart gratia yartis

Max. I wish I'd said that!!

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: purely off-thread - 10/17/00 09:54 AM
getting your Rs in gear

Sadly I haven't yet managed to find Reverse gear on any of my bikes, mav.
But if we're talking revolution, I can always just turn back the way I came.

Here we go round the goldfish bowl
The goldfish bowl, the goldfish bowl...

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: what new words do you like? - 10/18/00 01:32 PM
emoticon must be a very acceptable new word

I'm inclined to agree, Max... though I have a bit of a / relationship with emoticons myself, has to be said.

Posted By: of troy Re: what new words do you like? - 10/18/00 04:16 PM
i am a newbie, and just found this thread which is still going strong...
I like grok- and think its a wonderful word and
AnnaStrophic-- loved your responce to "what is a senior moment"
Its not the senior moments that get me, it's the momentum (the phrase is stolen... i can't rememeber where i first heard it!)

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: what new words do you like? - 10/20/00 03:30 PM
Its not the senior moments that get me, it's the momentum

Hey Hey Helen - this quote is brilliant! And soooo poignant.
Any Awadees know where it originated?

Posted By: Jackie Re: what new words do you like? - 10/21/00 12:16 AM
Any Awadees

'Scuse me, but...AACK! I do not want to be called an
"AWADEE" any more than I do a poster! Bleah!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: our name - 10/21/00 01:52 AM
this seems almost too obvious and also very close to the original "Awadee" which started this whole foobaz, but if you post here aren't you 'a waddy? [well, it *sounds different when I read it]
-ron obvious

Posted By: tsuwm Re: what new words do you like? - 10/21/00 02:43 AM
my own overuse of "?!" punctuation reminds me of a punctuation mark introduced in 1962, which hasn't really caught on (but I remain ever hopeful)...

interrobang - a punctuation mark designed for use especially at the end of an exclamatory rhetorical question, comprising an exclamation point superimposed on a question mark. [this can only be approximated with the standard keyboard as: isn't that a great idea?!]

here's a swell graphic:
http://www.interrobang-mks.com/

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: interrobang - 10/21/00 09:49 AM
What a great idea! How can we make it happen?

Posted By: shanks Re: what new words do you like? - 10/21/00 12:33 PM
And what's the pronunciation of awad anyway?

Posted By: shanks Re: what new words do you like? - 10/21/00 12:36 PM
awadwinners?

awad-in-your-ear?

diurnal logomanes?

Will try to think up more...

Posted By: shanks Re: what new words do you like? - 10/21/00 12:40 PM
In reply to:

any more than I do a poster!

How about Pin Up then?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: what new words do you like? - 10/21/00 12:48 PM
>awadwinners

AWADtalkers
awadwhingers/awadwhiners
-ron obvious

Posted By: shanks Re: what new words do you like? - 10/21/00 12:50 PM
Cawads?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: what new words do you like? - 10/21/00 12:53 PM
>And what's the pronunciation of awad anyway?

/AY wad/

(certainly NOT /awd/ or /ah WAD/?!)

Posted By: shanks But but but.... - 10/21/00 01:00 PM
'wad' - what's the value the 'a' takes?

Please help UK-English speaker here for whom cot and cart have different vowel sounds...

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: tsuwm Re: But but but.... - 10/21/00 01:06 PM
wad, as in a fistful of dollars. 8-)

Posted By: shanks Re: But but but.... - 10/21/00 01:07 PM
Ah so.

Then perhaps we could be Astacks?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: But but but.... - 10/21/00 01:11 PM
...but wouldn't that lead to the unfortunate Aseeds?

Posted By: shanks Re: But but but.... - 10/21/00 01:17 PM
Exactly - the worst term of disapprobation on this board. We can be too polite...

I'm voting for Astacks!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: But but but.... - 10/21/00 06:34 PM
Has anybody suggested AWADeers? "All for words, and words for all"?

Posted By: Jackie Re: But but but.... - 10/22/00 02:14 AM
AWADeers? "All for words, and words for all

This has my vote, Max! I love the motto!
Anu, are you listening, Dear?

Posted By: Jackie Re: But but but.... - 10/22/00 02:15 AM
AWADeers? "All for words, and words for all

This has my vote, Max! I love the motto!
Anu, are you listening, Dear? You could get
T-shirts printed up!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: But but but.... - 10/22/00 03:43 AM
here's something Anu himself has written on the matter of naming his patrons/fans/devotees:

Dear Samuel, You have lots of company in AWAD world. You could call it a logocracy (where words rule), its citizens could be logolept (a word maniac), logologist (one who studies words), logomach (one who fights about words), logomaniac (one who is insanely interested in words). They could engage in logolatry (worship of words), be prone to logopandocie (readiness to admit words of all kinds), or even afflicted with logomisia (disgust of certain words). The only word missing from their dictionary is logophobia (fear of words). -Anu

my vote is for logolepts!

Posted By: Jackie Re: But but but.... - 10/22/00 03:50 AM
logolepts

Doesn't have a "ring" to it, somehow. Besides, it kind of
sounds like we steal things!

Posted By: lusy Re: But but but but.... - 10/22/00 05:04 AM
What about "logolators"?

Bit of a mouthful, but reasonably accurate as "worshippers of words", eh?

sakezuki lusy
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Ur-speak - 10/22/00 12:09 PM
If senior-moment memory serves, weren't we all named 'linguaphiles" when we joined?

Anna, the AWADette

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Ur-speak - 10/22/00 07:55 PM
I'm not sure about logolators - sounds a little sleazy, even when you know what it means, and AWADeers seems a little Mousekateerish.

Nerd, as my significant other suggested, I quickly voted down (and consequently decided that I was NOT cooking supper tonight!!! So there!!!)

I like AWADer like Anna seems to suggest in her signature. I am not sure I am comfortable with AWADette refering to the ladies, as the addition of ette at the end of French words generally designates a smaller version of the original.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Ur-speak - 10/22/00 09:55 PM
AWADeers seems a little Mousekateerish.

I'm surprised that no one else mentioned that, as my suggestion was largely in jest, inspired at least as much by memories of wearing the big-eared black plastic hat as by any desire to pay homage to Alexandre!

I do however have reservations about AWADers. It bears a very close resemblance to waders, those inelegant items of coiture. Also, it sounds, IMO, incredibly ugly coming off the the tongue. I think I'll cast my vote for something in the logophile genus.

Posted By: Marty Re: Ur-speak - 10/22/00 10:43 PM
AWADaLoadOfNonsense, some might say.

Why don't we just call ourselves wordies (singular - wordie)? Captures the cool/cult flavour of "surfie" or "bikie" and the fanaticism/mania of "groupie", with a hint of verbosity.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Ur-speak - 10/22/00 10:59 PM
Excellent Marty. Wordie gets my vote for overall originality and relevance.

First T-shirt logo off the press----Wordies get wowed at A.W.A.D.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Ur-speak - 10/23/00 01:58 AM
we don't seem to be reaching consensus on this yet; how about some sort of hybrid, like logoscente or logoisseur?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Ur-speak - 10/23/00 03:08 AM
A-ah! Getting worse and worse!
Of all mentioned so far, I like linguaphiles best.
But--we needn't worry about consensus yet. There are
lots of people I want to hear from first.
I am not a creative person--here's my entry: Boarders, and even I don't like that one! I'll keep cogitating.

Posted By: jmh Re: Ur-speak - 10/23/00 07:31 AM
>Why don't we just call ourselves wordies (singular - wordie)? Captures the cool/cult flavour of "surfie" or "bikie" and the fanaticism/mania of "groupie", with a hint of verbosity

Or foodies (hint of gourmet)- I'll go with wordies.

Posted By: wsieber Re: wordie - 10/23/00 08:26 AM
Oh dear no! we shall have to cope with ever more quantity at the cost of quality. Furthermore, it doesn't reflect the eclectic-latin angle. I suggest awadian, with a resonance on the peaceful Arcadia that has established itself here.

Posted By: shanks My favourites... - 10/23/00 08:47 AM
...so far.

1. Wordies
Seems to capture the spirit of the thing, has a ring to it, and allows mockers to call us weirdies if they choose.

2. Awadeers
Better, IMO, than Awaders.

Some I would rather not be:

3. Logoanything
Not because I'm against classical roots, but because I suspect that most such words could apply to any group of enthusiasts. What is unique about this group is not that it is interested in language, but that it is also on AWADtalk.

2. Boarders
Nice word, but too general, and too many connottations.

1. Awaddywaddy
I just made that up.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: Jackie Re: wordie - 10/23/00 11:48 AM
the peaceful Arcadia that has established itself here.

Oh, yes, isn't it though? Perfect, wsieber!!
Shall we stroll the green together, Dear? Why, words of wit and wisdom are simply everywhere: dangling off the trees, in the blue shallows of the river, and even floating by on the air! What a wonderful atmosphere about the place.

Posted By: maverick Re: wordie - 10/23/00 12:24 PM
Given our general preoccupation with fish, fowl and juicy red herrings, surely the obvious choice is:

Waders

This seems a natural contraction, and also accurately suggests our common (some more so than others!) interest in dabbling and dapping in the waters of the language foreshore.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: wordie - 10/23/00 12:40 PM
hmmmm, waders.

I like it, but it seems like a word we will have to explain how to pronounce. Waders (wade - ers) seems easy enough but in our context people might misconstrue it as Wader (Wahd - er), or people that make wads of stuff. Your op.?

Posted By: FishonaBike Interrobang - 10/23/00 02:25 PM
I have been known to go for the odd "?!" myself, tsuwm, but I'm afraid the interrobang won't work for me.
You can't fine tune the exclamatory and interrogatory components if they're always evenly mixed.

Know what I mean??!

P.S. 1962 has a lot to answer for: it was also the year I was born. How about that?!!

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: what new words do you like? - 10/23/00 02:54 PM
Oh dear - look what I've started here (heh heh heh).

Well, I've dived into the depths of this thread, and I reckon Awadeers is easily the best of the options so far selected.

But then, I also reckon awaddle can tell us a thing or two about picking a name that, as well as being relevant, brings a smile to people's faces...

So, we could be Awaddlers (uh-WOD-lurz)
- and awaddling we will go!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Interrobang - 10/23/00 03:08 PM
>You can't fine tune the exclamatory and interrogatory components if they're always evenly mixed.

but wouldn't it be fun to intermix all three?!¿

Posted By: belMarduk Re: what new words do you like? - 10/23/00 03:10 PM
Awaddle sounds like we all have that flappy loose skin on the underside of our chins like turkeys. Not attractive on ladies or gentlemen. There is also that waddling gait that denotes a certain, hmmm, roundness about one's person. Ugh, can I vote this one down.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: what new words do you like? - 10/23/00 03:35 PM
lately, this place has reminded me of the Kingdom of Chatalot®... 8^)

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Interrobang - 10/23/00 09:57 PM

Oh, go on then. You can't get too much of a good thing!!!!!!!!!???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I propose another punctuation mark - like a question mark but with a downward chevron in place of the dot at the bottom. This would denote a very open-ended question.
Or something.

Posted By: Marty Re: Interrobang - 10/23/00 10:10 PM

Fish, I'm surprised you didn't rise to the bait. Doesn't ¿ look threateningly like a fish hook to you¿¿¿¿

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Interrobang - 10/25/00 02:59 PM
Doesn't ¿ look threateningly like a fish hook to you¿¿¿¿

Eek! I confess, my vision ain't brilliant.
But I'm afraid I'd look a real spectacle in fish-eye lenses.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: wordie - 10/25/00 03:15 PM
the peaceful Arcadia that has established itself here.

Oh yes! Having coined "the awadness" in my parody of one of the Tentmakers fine quatrains, I was already more than half-way to accepting "awadians" - my vote aligns me with wsieber and Jackie - (I'll stand next to you any day, dear.)

Posted By: jmh Re: what new words do you like? - 10/25/00 03:20 PM
>flappy loose skin on the underside of our chins like turkeys

bel - I think you've been watching too much Ally McBeal!

Posted By: Jackie What are we? - 10/26/00 11:22 AM
Shona's explanation about the master of the game in The
Glass Bead Game gave me this idea: what about calling ourselves wordmasters? It is long, but rolls easily off the tongue. Further, we are all masters of some words and trying to master others.

Posted By: shanks Re: What are we? - 10/26/00 11:31 AM
what about calling ourselves wordmasters? It is long, but rolls easily off the tongue.

Though a touch arrogant, perhaps? I'm happy with anything the majority settles on...

Posted By: jmh Re: What are we? - 10/26/00 01:54 PM
>the majority settles on...

Interesting concept - have we ever been capable of settling on anything??? I think we generally just ramble on .. and on...

Posted By: maverick Re: What are we? - 10/26/00 03:39 PM
we generally just ramble on .. and on...

Seems most appropriate that such a diaspora of logolepers should fail to settle on a collective noun!

how about babellers...

Posted By: jmh Re: What are we? - 10/26/00 04:38 PM
Mav

Just noticed the "Enthusiast" tag - glad to see you've moved up the ladder. I love reading your posts!

Posted By: belMarduk Re: What are we? - 10/26/00 07:55 PM
All right, I know Canadians are teased a lot because we are uncomfortable with flaunting our qualities ("humble to the last" should by stamped on our foreheads) but I am not comfortable calling myself a Wordmaster. It seems so loud. I AM THE WORDMASTER!! You can't say that type of thing, you can only proclaim it in a loud booming voice while striking your chest with your fist.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: What are we? - 10/26/00 08:04 PM
I *am the supreme universal [word] master but, more importantly for the sake of this discussion, I am A WADdy!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: What are we? - 10/26/00 08:23 PM
It seems so loud. I AM THE WORDMASTER!! You can't say that type of thing, you can only proclaim it in a loud booming voice while striking your chest with your fist.

Which brings us right back to Mogambo!

Posted By: jmh Re: What are we? - 10/26/00 08:23 PM
At least we should be able to agree on our favourite pop group - how about -
"Shawadywady" ?

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: What are we? - 10/27/00 12:07 AM
back to Mogambo

Yep, bel's even more scary than Auntie when she gets like that.

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Board=words&Number=7019

Posted By: Jackie Re: What are we? - 10/27/00 01:31 AM
how about babellers...

Or babblers...

Posted By: xara Re: What are we? - 10/27/00 02:07 AM
What about wordsters? It reminds me of roadsters. Gives the impression of driving down the linguistic highway at about 45pph (posts per hour) with the top down.

Posted By: Marty Re: What are we? - 10/27/00 02:28 AM
Gives the impression of driving down the linguistic highway at about 45pph (posts per hour) with the top down

...on the wrong side of the road, dodging fish cyclists as we go?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: What are we? - 10/27/00 05:41 PM
>tsuwm's thread about new words went of thread...

film at eleven!! (even the 'what are we' detour into the boondocks went off-thread 8^)

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: What are we? - 10/27/00 08:08 PM
dodging fish cyclists as we go

You wish. They all got to the pub at the end of the road hours ago, Chookman!

xara, I like 'wordster'- my favourite so far (sorry Max, but I'm afraid Mickey can't keep up the pace )!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: What are we? - 10/27/00 08:31 PM
Xara, I like 'wordster'- my favourite so far (sorry Max, but I'm afraid Mickey can't keep up the pace)

tsok, even though I was tempted to say something like "I unclog my nose in your general direction" I decided against it - partly because it doesn't work without the contemptuous, sneering, pseudo-French accent, but mostly because I too like wordster - it's the sort of inspired vision I would be incapable of. BTW, the reference to the rabbit in The Grail was a little understated, as I remember it. That line has always been one of favourites from the whole movie: "It's only a rabbit, you stupid Scottish git!"

Posted By: Jackie Re: But but but.... - 04/10/02 01:29 AM
Just found this--great memories!

© Wordsmith.org