Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Spam in a burnoose? - 08/10/02 02:26 AM
Tonight we ate dinner at an Iraqi restaurant. It has a small market attached, and we like to wander through to see the exotic articles of apparel (few) and food items (a lot). They had some canned meat, and judging by the picture, the quality was somewhat dubious. The label did nothing to reassure, either: Al-Haloub Cow.

Posted By: of troy Re: Spam in a burnoose? - 08/10/02 02:43 AM
Hal or Al-Hal or Halal... depending on the language, is a word somewhat similar in meaning to kosher (or kasrut).

it means the meat has been prepared according to islamic law, and is "clean". (which is what kosher means).

i eat kosher chicken from the deli, and Hal al meat from the falafal guy...

so is suspect the Al-Haloub cow just is a way of saying "Kosher Beef"-- islamic style!

how was the food.. i can't say i have specifically eaten iraqi food (i have an iranian friend and have eaten iranian, and i don't think there is much different.. what did you have.. (and no, i am not turning this into a food thread!)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Spam in a burnoose? - 08/10/02 12:37 PM
(and no, i am not turning this into a food thread!)

Heaven forfend!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Spam in a burnoose? - 08/10/02 01:35 PM
excuse me, but didn't this start as a food thread?
(I'm sure if we put our minds to it we can turn it into something entirely else..)

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Spam in a burnoose? - 08/10/02 02:25 PM
(I'm sure if we put our minds to it we can turn it into something entirely else..)

Coordinate Terms (sisters) of noun burnoose

1 sense of burnoose

Sense 1

burnous, burnoose, burnouse -- (a long hooded cloak woven of wool in one piece; worn by Arabs and Moors)
cloak -- (a loose outer garment)
caftan, kaftan -- (a (cotton or silk) cloak with full sleeves and sash reaching down to the ankles; worn by men in the Levant)
cape, mantle -- (a sleeveless garment like a cloak but shorter)
capote, hooded cloak -- (a long hooded cloak)
capuchin -- (a hooded cloak for women)
dolman -- (a woman's cloak with dolman sleeves)
domino -- (a loose hooded cloak worn with a half mask as part of a masquerade costume)
jellaba -- (a loose cloak with a hood; worn in the Middle East and northern Africa)
opera cloak, opera hood -- (a large cloak worn over evening clothes)
pallium -- (cloak or mantle worn by men in ancient Rome)
poncho -- (a blanket-like cloak with a hole in the center for the head)
shawl -- (cloak consisting of an oblong piece of cloth used to cover the head and shoulders)
toga -- (a one-piece cloak worn by men in ancient Rome)
tunic -- (any of a variety of loose fitting cloaks extending to the hips or knees)
wrap, wrapper -- (cloak that is folded or wrapped around a person)

End of WordNet output for burnoose.

http://poets.notredame.ac.jp/cgi-bin/wn?cmd=wn&word=burnoose

'Course, all this brings to mind some good ol' camel haggis! mmmmmmmm!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Camel Haggis - 08/10/02 04:59 PM
This grosses me out *almost as much as Wordwind's description of mountain oysters over in Miscellany did.

Food thread, schmood thread.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Camel Haggis - 08/10/02 05:23 PM
*almost

I'll try harder next time!

How 'bout raw camel haggis...kinda like camel haggis sushi? You wanna know the recipe for the dip?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Spam in a burnoose? - 08/10/02 09:37 PM
excuse me, but didn't this start as a food thread?

Al-Haloub

Word up.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Spam in a burnoose? - 08/10/02 10:05 PM
They had some canned meat, and judging by the picture, the quality was somewhat dubious. The label did nothing to reassure, either: Al-Haloub Cow.

a picture is worth a thousand words.

Posted By: of troy Re: Spam in a burnoose? - 08/11/02 01:28 PM
if you are going to include poncho, why not serape? (Connie, i think there should be an accent mark on the last e, since it is said ser rap ee) but i don't know spanish. what do you say?)

Posted By: consuelo Re: Spam in a burnoose? - 08/11/02 03:38 PM
Nope, no accent. The accent is on the second syllable, thus it requires no physical accent, it's automatic. [se RAH pay]
The next to last syllable is always pronounced with the accent unless an accent is physically present to indicate otherwise.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Spam in a burnoose? - 08/11/02 07:56 PM
The next to last syllable is always pronounced with the accent

Unless the word ends in a consonant other than s or n in which case the accent is on the last syllable. There are no silent es in Spanish, so you don't need any mark to show that the final e is pronounced.

Posted By: consuelo Re: Spam in a burnoose? - 08/11/02 07:59 PM
Yes, there are exceptions to the rule. Thanks Faldage for clearing that up nicely.

Posted By: Hyla Re: Spam in a burnoose? - 08/12/02 06:45 PM
jellaba -- (a loose cloak with a hood; worn in the Middle East and northern Africa)

Usually written djellaba - I picked one up in Cairo years ago, where it was called a gallabeah (gall-ah-BAY-ah).

Posted By: of troy Re: Spam in a burnoose? - 08/12/02 07:53 PM
oh and other, scapular, a band of cloth, with an opening for the head, that covers the front and back, usually as part of a monastic habit.

Ursaline nuns scapular were as wide as their shoulders, and then some, (about 24 inches wide, which provided 48 inches of coverage (24 in front, 24 in back, and they continued to the hem of the gown. (floor length)

from the latin scapula, -- shoulder

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Spam in a burnoose? - 08/13/02 12:59 PM
The next to last syllable is always pronounced with the accent

Unless the word ends in a consonant other than s or n in which case the accent is on the last syllable. There are no silent es in Spanish, so you don't need any mark to show that the final e is pronounced.

Boy, I'd sure hate to have to come up with an "i before e except after c except when it isn't" type rule in Spanish ...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Spam in a burnoose? - 08/13/02 01:22 PM
"i before e except after c except when it isn't"

The apparent exceptions of n and s are a result of their functions as third person verb marker and plural marker. Many Spanish words ending in consonants derive from words that had vowels that were dropped. The accent does not shift from what it would have been with the vowel still there. In the case of the final s, it is almost always a plural marker; thus boca, mouth is pronounced with the accent on the bo; the plural bocas is still pronounced with the accent on the bo. Similarly, the third person singular habla, he or she speaks, is pronounced with the accent on the ha; third person plural hablan, they speak, is also pronounced with the accent on the ha.

© Wordsmith.org