Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Accent-uate the Positive! - 03/16/02 05:20 AM
I work for a large company in the Midlands. It encompasses a lot of skill sets, and the staff come from all over Britain (and Ireland) and France. I'm constantly blown away by the accents. You are usually constantly changing mental gears in meetings to accommodate the massacre of the language by the current speaker.

However, the worst of the lot are local to Birmingham. The business is based in Dudley, formerly a small town outside Birmingham (no Milum, not that Birmingham) but now part of the conurbation which takes in the whole area including Wolverhampton. Even within that area, the range of accents or brogues is impressive, even if the brogues themselves usually aren't.

A Brummie (person from Birmingham, or Brum) always sounds as if he or she is moaning about something, even when he or she is deliriously happy - or perhaps especially when deliriously happy.

These verbally-challenged clods have the temerity to criticise my accent, of course. So I fight back. Dudley is pronounced by most of the English-speaking world as "Dud"+"lee". But not in Brum. There, it's pronounced "Dould"+"laaay", the "Dould" sounding like "could" or "would". So I started saying "... Dudley, oh, sorry, you won't understand that, Douldlaaay."

I stopped saying it after a while - a joke is a joke after all - but others have taken up the clarion call. I was in a meeting yesterday when one of the analysts on my team, who hails from Essex (yes, there are boys from there as well as girls), said "And on Wednesday we'll be back in Dudley - sorry, Douldlaaay - to help the developers." Everyone from my team creased; everyone else just looked confused. That made my team even more helpless. The analyst who said it was just beside himself when he realised what he'd done. He went bright red and glared at me.

It's probably time for me to move on! My work here is done.

Posted By: Angel Re: Accent-uate the Positive! - 03/16/02 04:32 PM
Everyone from my team creased...

Interesting story CK, and this is an interesting phrase that I had never heard before. Am I to assume, from context, that creased is like cringe; a furrow of ones brow, drawing your face together and squinting your eyes? I can just picture it!

Posted By: wwh Re: Accent-uate the Positive! - 03/16/02 04:44 PM
Dear CK: "Everyone from my team creased; " Translation, Please?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Accent-uate the Positive! - 03/16/02 05:12 PM
Ooh, I can answer that question! My old friend Philip told me that a creaser is something that makes your face creased by a wide smile. (Believe me, I was envisioning something else entirely.)

Posted By: musick Re: Accent-uate the Positive! - 03/16/02 09:34 PM
CapK - That's the best *one to date! ROTFLMFAO

Posted By: Bingley Re: Accent-uate the Positive! - 04/16/02 04:49 AM
creased up -- laughing so much you're bent over double with a big crease in your belly.

Bingley
Posted By: ladymoon Re: Accent-uate the Positive! - 04/16/02 04:59 AM
I think I'm going to have to add creased to my vocabulary. I like the sound of it.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Accent-uate the Positive! - 04/16/02 01:18 PM
Ladymoon, be our guest, but!
Us brits are not shy in adopting argot from all over the world, so we are more than chuffed when others take a liking to ours.

That's a great story, CapK, but my wonder is that the Essex guy was embarrassed by it - on the whole, people from different regions aren't particulary over-sensitive to people taking the gentle mick out of accents - so long as it is done in a friendly fashion. Yorkshire people don't even think you are taking the mick - they just think you are trying to "talk proper" !!

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Accent-uate the Positive! - 04/16/02 03:57 PM
In reply to:

taking the mick

?? elaborate, por favor??

Posted By: maverick Re: Accent-uate the Positive! - 04/16/02 04:59 PM
taking the mick

= teasing

(also rendered expansively as "extracting the michael") hi, tsuwm!

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Accent-uate the Positive! - 04/16/02 07:02 PM
"extracting the michael"

And we all know how painful that can be.

*rimshot*

Seriously, extracting the michael? Whaaat?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Accent-uate the Positive! - 04/16/02 11:02 PM
But what did Michael do??

Are there two posts from me here. I can't see two on my end but the first one just up and disappeared by itself.

Posted By: maverick Re: Accent-uate the Positive! - 04/17/02 12:06 AM
But what did Michael do??

He's alleged to have rowed a boat ashore in some fairy tale or other...

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Accent-uate the Positive! - 04/17/02 02:20 AM
At the risk of offending US'ns on the board: When I was working on a macadamia nut plantation in Oz, there was one bloke in the nursery who used to talk to me in a US accent. I'd then adopt a US accent to reply....This went on for a few days before one of the other women said to me, "I'm sorry, Ian's such an asshole, making fun of your accent like that." I said, "He's making fun of my accent? I thought we were both making fun of American accents!" What he was doing was definitely not Canajun, eh. - On a similar topic: I managed to pick up a few Australianisms, but.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Taking the mick - 04/17/02 03:53 PM
Taking the Michael (mav)
But what did Michael do?? (belM)

Michael didn't do owt, lass - the "Mick" in the expression I used is, so I am led to believe, a shortening of "micturation"

Whilst "teasing" is a fair enough translation of the phrase, another one is, "poking fun at."

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Taking the mick - 04/18/02 01:47 AM
Whilst "teasing" is a fair enough translation of the phrase, another one is, "poking fun at."

But it's so much more than that. "Taking the Mick" implies an element of gullibility on behalf of the Takee and intent by the Taker to string along the Takee for as long as possible. It suggests sarcasm. It is not...

"What were you thinking wearing that bad Hawaiian shirt?"

It's more like...

"Love the shirt, mate. Where did you get it? How much was it? Wow, that's cheap. I might have to get one myself. Bet the missus loves it. You should wear it to work one day." Ad nauseum (or ad nauseam if you prefer).

Posted By: zootsuit Re: Taking the mick - with a crease - 04/18/02 02:10 AM
yup - down here in Oz, "creasing yourself" is a very common phrase - and it generally means being very amused indeed - I like Bingley's allusion to laughing so much that you bend double.
Also - "taking the mickey" is probably even more common here although I have no idea of it's origin. I am fascinated by the the "micturation" suggestion, but can't relate bladder contractions to sarcasm. Well, not easily anyway. . . .
An equivalent (albeit less common) slang phrase to "taking the mick" is "having a lend of", as in "Do you really like my Hawaiian shirt or are you having a lend of me?"

Posted By: maverick Re: Taking the mick - with a crease - 04/18/02 02:55 AM
can't relate bladder contractions to sarcasm

taking the mick >>
      taking the micturation >>

taking the piss

http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-tak2.htm

Or rhyming slang, via Mickey Bliss = Piss....?

http://www.londonslang.com/db/m/

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Taking the mick - with a crease - 04/18/02 11:19 AM
I'd definitely go for the rhyming slang option; the 'mick' in 'taking the mick' is jus short for 'Mickey'.

BTW, I like the 'extracting the michael' variation

Posted By: rkay Re: Taking the mick - with a crease - 04/18/02 08:56 PM
Got to be the rhyming slang option -

Never heard 'having a lend of' before, but there's another one that I have heard which is 'pulling your chain' as in 'don't take any notice of him, he's just pulling your chain'

Anyone know any other alternatives?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Taking the mick - with a crease - 04/19/02 12:04 AM
Is any of this related to slipping someone a mickey?

Posted By: zootsuit Re: pulling - 04/19/02 01:58 AM
Yes rkay we have "pulling your chain" here, though a much more common alternative is "pulling your/my leg". A popular expansion of leg-pulling is the phrase, "Oh yeah sure mate.(US equivalent = "Yeah, right", which proves that two positives can make a negative) Pull the other one - it plays Jingle Bells."

Oh and thanks maverick!! I can't believe that as an aussie I didn't think of that."Taking the piss" is not only a regular phrase here but it is almost national pastime, and we are especially good at taking the piss out of ourselves!

Posted By: boronia Re: pulling - 04/19/02 12:16 PM
I've also heard, "You're yanking my chain".

Posted By: slithy toves Re: pulling - 04/19/02 12:35 PM
There's also pulling my string. Somewhere in the recesses of memory there's a country-western lyric that goes: If ya wanna see me do mah tha-a-ang, pull mah stra-a-ang.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Taking the mick - with a crease - 04/21/02 10:54 AM
I've always had the impression that pulling someone's leg is essentially good-humoured, whereas pulling (or rattling) someone's chain is intended to set off a major tantrum from the pullee.

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: Taking the mick - with a crease - 04/21/02 12:13 PM
Dearest Bingley, you can pull any part of me that you wish, any time...[swoon]

Posted By: dxb Re: Taking the mick - with a crease - 04/23/02 02:38 PM
Jackie asks:Is any of this related to slipping someone a mickey?

I think she was being humourous, but I looked it up anyway for my own edification.
Mickey Finn:

NOUN: Slang. An alcoholic beverage that is surreptitiously altered to induce diarrhea or stupefy, render unconscious, or otherwise incapacitate the person who drinks it.
ETYMOLOGY: Probably after a notorious Chicago bar shut down in 1903, allegedly because its customers were served spiked drinks and then robbed.

dxb

Posted By: Keiva Slip him a Mickey Finn - 04/23/02 05:29 PM
I don't vouch for the accuracy of this account of the term Mickey Finn, but offer it for whatever it's worth:

http://thebachelor.crosswinds.net/mfinn.htm, beginning:

ONCE UPON A TIME, back in the 1880's of the last century, there was a saloon-owner in Chicago whose name was Michael Finn. No, Mr. Michael Finn did not invent the Mickey Finn. The guy who ran the saloon right across the street from Mr. Finn's did that.

Edit: according to this account, the original Mickey Finn did render the victim unconsious. It neutralized an obnoxious drunk by a different means: strong purgatives. [bill, am I being suitably euphemisic?]

Posted By: Keiva new meaning of "mickey" - 04/23/02 05:42 PM
In the course of looking this up I found a new usage:

mickey n. The resolution unit of mouse movement. It has been suggested that the `disney' will become a benchmark unit for animation graphics performance.

This is per dictionary.com, which cites as its source the glossary at http://www.jargon.org. Bill, take a look and tell us what you think of the latter. With luck, you'll find some interesting word-posts for us there!

© Wordsmith.org