Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Geoff Caution regarding speaking English - 03/08/02 03:30 AM
This just in from a friend:

Correlation.....

[a] The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks
than the British or Americans.

On the other hand, the French eat a lot of fat and also suffer
fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

[c] Conclusion: Eat what you like. It's speaking English that kills you.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Caution regarding speaking English - 03/08/02 01:09 PM
Alors, je parlerai le Francais seulement.

Posted By: boronia Re: Caution regarding speaking English - 03/08/02 01:12 PM
mais ecrire en anglais - ca va?

Posted By: Angel Re: Caution regarding speaking English - 03/08/02 01:21 PM
Can we get translations in white for those who are monolingual folks? Thanks!

Posted By: boronia Re: Caution regarding speaking English - 03/08/02 01:30 PM
Alors, je parlerai le Francais seulement.
Then I will only speak French.
mais ecrire en anglais - ca va?
but writing in English is OK?

Posted By: Angel Re: Caution regarding speaking English - 03/08/02 01:49 PM
A thousand thank you's Baronia!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Caution regarding speaking English - 03/08/02 01:57 PM
Yeahbut®
There's fat and there's fat.

Shall we start a nutrition thread? Helen, where art thou?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Caution regarding speaking English - 03/08/02 03:43 PM
Nihongo wa wakarimasen

Posted By: boronia Re: Caution regarding speaking English - 03/08/02 03:53 PM
huh? now I need a translation - please

Posted By: of troy Re: Caution regarding speaking English - 03/08/02 04:08 PM
re:There's fat and there's fat.

Shall we start a nutrition thread? Helen, where art thou?

a recent article in The New Yorker, talked about fat.

there are several basic fats. Animal fats, which tend to be solid at room temptuture, and vegetable fats, which tend to be liquid. (oils)

animal fats have high percentages of cholesterols (from a root word meaning yellow, lest any one think this is not about words!) which can cause problems for people who ingest them.

Vegetable fats are free of cholesterols, but some vegetable fats, are naturally solid at room tempeture. (notable, coconut "oil", and several other oils from tropical plants, i.e., palm oils )

the reason they are solid (details will be provide by the real chemist on Board) is they are naturally "hydogenated".

Hydolizing or hydogenating (similar if not the same processes) make the molocules of the fat longer, and as a side effect make the fat solid at room temps. Crisco shortning is prime example. it also extends the fat shelf life, (Crisco takes years to go rancid) and allow you to use them at higher cooking temps before they break down.

but it seems, your body also has trouble breaking down these fats, and as a result, even though they are cholesteral free, these fat are almost certainly even worse for you than LARD.

the french diet is rich in fats, and many are natural cholesterol high animal fats. the american diet tend to replace these with hydogenated fats.

McDonalds is a fine example, they used to cook there fries in beef tallow. (a fine fat, that gave the fries a great taste) now they use a "Crisco" type hydogenated cholesterol free vegetable fat.
Is sound better in the ads "Cholesterol Free" but it is almost certainly worse!

and to not total loose track, why the leaf in leaf lard-- i know what leaf lard is.. the very best, finest lard, made exclusively from the fat on top of the kidneys.

other interesting fat names include caulfat, fatback,
ghee. I bet there are others.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Caution regarding speaking English - 03/08/02 05:10 PM
This is excellent! What about the fat in nuts? vegetable fat, certainly not animal - but can go rancid, yes? what is the best way of storing nuts to prevent their going rancid?

because a brazil nut a day helps keep cancer away, but a friend who is very knowledgeable on cancer and carcinogens assures me that nuts can go rancid because of their high fat content, and when they are rancid, nuts are carcinogenic.

So I have been eating a brazil nut a day, but wondering how to prevent my stockpile of nuts from going off.....anyone know? At the moment I keep them in a sealed jar at room temperature. Should I be refrigerating them?

Posted By: modestgoddess heh - 03/08/02 05:12 PM
just noticed I graduated to "newbie" a couple of posts ago....

you carpal tunnel types must get sick of new people noticing when they move up, but I can tell you, it's a relief not to be considered a "stranger" anymore.

Posted By: of troy Re: Caution regarding speaking English - 03/08/02 05:21 PM
No! Freeze them! they are so much easier to shell that way!

and yes, vegetable fats (oils, rather than solid fat for the most part) go rancid much faster! but peanut butter, (commerical) has all the good liquid oily fat, turned into bad solid fat! you really should only eat "organic/natural" peanut butter that has to be stirred and keep cool

to my knowledge not all nuts become carcinogens when rancid (but they sure don't taste as good!) Peanuts most definately do.. but somewhere in an other vaguely food thread, its pointed out peanuts are not nuts, but legumes.

Posted By: modestgoddess ah, nuts! - 03/08/02 05:47 PM
but they are already shelled....now what?!

And I'm just thinking of brazil nuts, walnut pieces and almonds here - all of which are good for us for different reasons....

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Caution regarding speaking English - 03/08/02 06:20 PM
Nihongo wa wakarimasen

I don't understand Japanese. Does anyone expect you to?

- Shuto Kiui

Posted By: of troy Re: ah, nuts! - 03/08/02 06:38 PM
i keep all my nuts in the freezer, hazelnuts, almonds, pecans and walnuts are a staple in my house (freezer)

i tend to by my brazil nuts in shell, (usually cheaper, and they stay fresher in the shell.) and frozen brazil nuts are reasonable easy to shell, unlike room temp ones -- which defy all nutcrackers known to man!

Anna, what do they call brazil nuts in brazil? i understand the entire crop is collected from wild trees, there are no brazil nut orchards in all of brazil!

(orchard is an other interesting word, for those of you who want to look it up...and side track us!)

Posted By: wwh Re: ah, nuts! - 03/08/02 07:47 PM
The problem of fats going rancid is a comparativlely simple bit of organic chemistry The carbon atom has a valence of four, meaning it can combine with four other atoms. In fats there are long chains of carbon atoms: -CH2-CH2-CH2- but there can be double bonds between carbon atoms -CH=CH=CH= . The double bonds are readily attacked by oxygen, making relatively short chain fatty acids that smell and taste bad. That we call "rancid".

Posted By: Rubrick Re: ah, nuts! - 03/08/02 08:43 PM
what do they call brazil nuts in brazil?

What do they call French underwear in France??

As far as I know French letters (condoms) are called (something) Anglais in France.

Sorry to break the rhythm of this thread!!

Posted By: musick ...regarding speaking English - 03/08/02 09:02 PM
...how to prevent my stockpile of nuts from going off.....anyone know?

Must... resist... temptation...

Posted By: of troy Re: ah, nuts! - 03/08/02 09:03 PM
well since we haven't established whether to use filberts or hazel nuts, in this country, and while we spell pecan
we are not sure how we say it..(is it pea can or Pa cahn?) and brazil nuts are the nuts we import from brazil..

they might have almost no name (local nuts) or they might have an intesting name..in portugues or a native brazil language.

can you get them in ireland now? they where a total new nut to my parents (who left dublin post WWII) wedge shaped, dark, almost black shell, some what rough, and ridged. and the nut inside is creamy, rich, and mildly flavored. they are larger than a peanut, and do not readily split (like say peanut or cashews or pistashcios.

Posted By: Rubrick You are what you eat - 03/08/02 09:18 PM
Hazel nuts are more common in a chocolate bar than eaten au naturel but I have never heard of filbert sbefore, Helen. Are they related?

We say Pea can for Pecan but we only eat them in pies or ice cream.

When I lived in Brazil I never knew their name so I'll leave it to Anna to answer that one.

Brazils are very common in Ireland. Mostly eaten at Hallowe'en with other varieties of nuts and fruits (don't forget that hallowe'en started in Ireland and is a very old ritual called Oíche samhain - so the fruits have a meaningful association), the chocolate variety remain my staple diet Monday to Friday 9:00 to 11:00 along with a strong mug of joe (or two) and The Irish Times online.

It's true. After the war the world became a smaller place and exotic foods suddenly flooded into Britain and Ireland ena masse. Whereas tea was the more common drink on these isles, coffee quickly took over. bananas made an appearance and, I presume, this is also when most nuts made their entrance. Up until a few years ago one was still able to meet an aged person who would tell you (in a semi-comical way): "I remember when I first saw a banana".

Really?

Posted By: wwh Re: You are what you eat - 03/09/02 01:17 AM
Dear CK: explain to of troy why you do not keep your nuts in the freezer.

Posted By: Geoff Re: You are what you eat - 03/09/02 02:56 AM
Dear CK: explain to of troy why you do not keep your nuts in the freezer.

I'll bet it's because he was wise enough to read the instructions on that Swedish chainsaw.

Posted By: Keiva Re: You are what you eat - 03/09/02 03:02 AM
or perhaps he learned from the experience of the brass monkey?
Posted By: belMarduk Re: You are what you eat - 03/09/02 03:57 AM
Allo Modest. After one bad hazelnut experience I tend to buy nuts as I need them. Most of our grocery stores keep a tremendous variation of nuts, both in regular and bulk departments - but it may be a Québec thing. Have you looked in Loblaws? Their bulk section here is quite good.

(oops sorry folks, FYI only...Loblaws is a Canadian grocery chain)

Posted By: belMarduk Re: ah, nuts! - 03/09/02 03:58 AM
Um Rubrick, to answer your question... a French letter is a capotte anglaise in French.

A question for you though...what is French underwear?

Posted By: consuelo Re: ah, nuts! - 03/09/02 03:58 PM
Ya llegé. Yo no quiero morir de un ataque de corazón,
I just got here. I don't want to die from a heart attack
entonces, desde ahorita, no vuelvo hablar Inglés.
so, from now on, I wont go back to speaking English

A ver. ¿Qué dice Ænigma?
Let's see what Ænigma says
Ya [Yagi] llegé. [Lloyd] Yo [Yoder] no quiero [quiescent] morir [Morley] de un [unabated] ataque [Atari] de corazón, [Corbett]

entonces, [entrance] desde [desecrate] ahorita, [aid] no vuelvo [Vulcan] hablar [hack] Inglés. [ingot]

A ver. [Vera] ¿Qué [qua] dice Ænigma? [nihilism]

¡ADM!
OMG!

Posted By: ladymoon Re: ah, nuts! - 03/09/02 05:47 PM
Who calls them French Letters? And who needs to hang out on the playground these days when you can learn everything in the world on AWAD?

Posted By: modestgoddess temptation - 03/10/02 01:00 AM
Ah Musick. Please...do not...resist...! I love salacious puns. [smirk-e]

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: You are what you eat - 03/10/02 01:02 AM
Allo bel...I buy my nuts in bulk from a local health food store called Tara Natural Foods. I would imagine they have a fairly decent turnover....I hate making endless shopping trips so I buy a whack o' nuts at a time, but perhaps I should start buying a week's worth instead of several weeks's worth....

Posted By: musick Re: temptation - 03/10/02 03:36 PM
It wasn't the pun I was resisting...

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: You are what you eat - 03/10/02 05:28 PM
>After the war the world became a smaller place and exotic foods suddenly flooded into Britain and Ireland ena masse

But Ireland already had palms (this is true, there are several parks in Irealnd with palms growing in them). Leading to the saying, "with fronds like these, who needs ena masse."

Posted By: TEd Remington What is French underwear? - 03/10/02 05:30 PM
An oxymoron??

Posted By: TEd Remington they have a fairly decent turnover.... - 03/10/02 05:32 PM
Yup. Apple and cinnamon.

Posted By: TEd Remington a whack o' nuts - 03/10/02 05:33 PM
Oh how I hope that's not like whack a mole.

Posted By: Geoff Re: they have a fairly decent turnover.... - 03/10/02 09:37 PM
they have a fairly decent turnover....

Yup. Apple and cinnamon.

I wouldn't fritter away my time thinking up such stuff. I'm much more interested in French underwear. And I've long wondered why Porky Pig advocates feminine hygiene at the end of his cartoons. Have you noticed his closing with, "Bidet - bidet - that's all, folks?" Well, that's how it sounds to me...

Posted By: Jackie Re: temptation - 03/10/02 11:35 PM
Oh, you-all, I am rolling! Gasping for breath! Oh, ha, ha! mg, don't let the guys hear you talking about whacking nuts! musick...never mind, I'm gonna have to send this PRIVATE! Bidet, bidet...

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: temptation - 03/10/02 11:38 PM
why? what's wrong with whacking nuts? [innocent/angelic-e]

Posted By: Geoff Re: temptation - 03/11/02 03:30 AM
why? what's wrong with whacking nuts?

What? Didn't you ever read Fitzgerald's story, Tender is The Nuts? And there used to be a painful security company called Whackanut, if I recall.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re:Brazil nut - 03/11/02 12:20 PM
In Brazil, it's called castanha do Pará, after the Amazon-region state where the trees are most prevalent.

Here's a link on how Brazil nuts are harvested:

http://www.amazonconservation.org/home/brazilnuts.html

And yes, I also freeze all my nuts, unshelled, slivered or whatever.

Posted By: Faldage Re:Brazil nut - 03/11/02 12:53 PM
I also freeze all my nuts,

I resemble that remark!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re:Brazil nut - 03/11/02 01:01 PM
I also freeze all my nuts

I resemble that remark!

Must... resist... temptation...

Posted By: of troy Re:Brazil nut - 03/11/02 01:28 PM
I dunno, faldage, at least the Asp doesn't Whack all of her nuts!

Posted By: wwh Re:Frozen nuts - 03/11/02 02:40 PM
Dear Faldage: Doesn't it hurt when you close the freezer lid ?

Posted By: Faldage Re:Frozen nuts - 03/11/02 02:44 PM
Doesn't it hurt when you close the freezer lid ?

Not if you don't get your thumbs caught.

Posted By: Jackie Re: they have a fairly decent turnover.... - 03/11/02 02:48 PM
Apple and cinnamon...
Oh how I hope that's not like whack a mole.

No, no, Ted--you whack a mole with avocados...

Posted By: of troy Re: they have a fairly decent turnover.... - 03/11/02 05:48 PM
i'v only had turkey mole. never avacodo mole.

doesn't the almost black mole sause look unattractive with the avacado green?

(and not trying to make it a food thread, but how many whack do you need to make a whack a mole? how many does its serve? and do you serve it with nuts? (fresh, frozen or chopped?!)

Posted By: Jackie Re: they have a fairly decent turnover.... - 03/11/02 09:37 PM
Well, actually, Helen, I took "whack a mole" as a wordplay on guacamole. Kentucky being where it is, we haven't yet had a vast influx of Hispanics, and here the word is pronounced gwa-ka-MOE-lee. I have no idea whether that is correct--I suspect not.

Posted By: wwh Re: etymology avocado - 03/11/02 10:01 PM
I originally learned origin of "avocado" as coming from Spanish for lawyer. Never heard logic of it. Looking it up now, dictionary says it is from Soanish word for "testicle". Because of its shape. That makes the name as tasteless as the fruit.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: etymology avocado - 03/11/02 11:33 PM
Oh Uncle Bill....avocados are very tasty fruit....I never noticed the testicular shape (till now)....hmm....not necessarily a turn-off

Mais chacun a son gout, j'pense
But to each his own, I think/suppose

Posted By: wwh Re: etymology avocado - 03/11/02 11:43 PM
Dear MG: your taste buds must be vastly superior to mine. I get no flavor at all. Of all the fruits available, I put them at the absolute bottom

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/11/02 11:55 PM
Posted By: consuelo Guacamole and mole - 03/12/02 12:10 AM
Jackie, my dear, you are probably very close with your pronunciation. All, or nearly all,unaccented Spanish words have the accented syllable in the next to last position. When a word requires the use of an accent is when the accent is not on the next to last syllable[whew-e] Everyone follow that? The brown, or dark brown sauce that of troy is refering to, mole, is a sauce made from ground dried chili peppers, cocoa, raisins, cinnamon, ground pumpkin seeds[hey, that's a nut, isn't it?], etc. and when made correctly, tastes like heaven. The stuff they sell in jars is not made correctly. I have never seen anyone eat mole on guacamole. If they did, I would suspect a mental illness. I love Haas avocados. Those huge bright green things they grow in Florida have no taste as far as I am concerned. I think they must be mutants.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/12/02 12:26 AM
Posted By: Keiva Re: etymology avocado - 03/12/02 12:32 AM
avocados are very tasty fruit....

Mais chacun a son gout, j'pense

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Posted By: consuelo This one's for you, Max My Love - 03/12/02 12:42 AM
I'm sorry I caused your poor heart to leap for no reason. Please accept this humble human's apology. [prostrating myself at your feet-e]

Posted By: belMarduk Re: This wasn't for me - 03/12/02 02:10 AM
Pauvre pauvre Max.
poor, poor Max

I don't understand how you are getting all these notices though. Don't we simply click reply on the last post on the thread to put in an answer.

Posted By: consuelo getting to the heart of the matter - 03/12/02 10:45 AM
And then you have the Chac Mool, Mezoamerican god of rain and lightning. Mool is pronounced with an accented long o and almost swallowing the l. Chac Mool was the god that figured prominently in human sacrifice. The sacrificial victim would lie on Chac's belly, face to the sky, while the priest cut out his/her heart with an obsidian knife.
For some pictures of Chac Mool and other items of interest:

http://www.dallas.net/~lalo/compare.html

Posted By: of troy Re: This wasn't for me - 03/12/02 11:07 AM
That's one option Bel.. but in this case, Connie had already posted, so her "post" will be between mine and yours.. i can go back and click on any post...

this is were the differences between "flat" and "threaded" come into play.

i read "flat", but i tend to post threaded.. I go back to the post i want to respond to to, and click on it..

this means, i can ignore, or not reply to certain post that upset me. you should try threaded.. you might not like it.. but it will give you a better understanding.. One "way" of tracking threads in the in the subject.. while they still can be changed in threaded mode, they will tend to keep the subject (or something closely related to the original) subject.

Posted By: TEd Remington Whack a mole - 03/12/02 03:40 PM
Oh goodness! I didn't think there was anyone who wouldn't know what Whack a Mole was. This is what happens when your world is bounded by four- to six-year-olds.

Whack A Mole is an arcade game where moles po up out of holes on a console and the child's task is to whack the mole with a hammer (or perhaps just a fist). Someone above 9can't remember who it was) had made a reference to a great whack of nuts, meaning I assume a large portion.

I was puzzled by your reference to guacamole, but eventually figured you were just going on to the aboriginal word avocado, testicle. And you are perfectly correct in the pronunciation.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/12/02 07:05 PM
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: flatthreading - 03/12/02 07:18 PM
I also. That is exactly my pattern - read flat, post threaded.

Moi aussi
parm my French

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/12/02 07:30 PM
Posted By: of troy Re: flatthreading - 03/12/02 08:05 PM
Hello, max-- you made my day.. when i read your post about some flat moder clicking on your post, and your being upset about getting messages about posts unrelated to yours.. i though.. i almost never repy to any thing max has said.. his post are so complete, and so above me.. i just sit in awe.

and then, you second'd my post! wow! i am doing something right!

Bel, dear, if you follow the thread, you see how the subject matter has changed, and how the thread is broken..

Connie's post is (i think) linked to yours, and my post is linked to yours.. but my thread is not linked to connie's!

In real life we follow mutlithread discussions all the time. listening to hubby, and kids, and for kettle's whistle, and is that the door bell? or telephone? and we still can catch a word or two from the TV.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/12/02 08:46 PM
Posted By: of troy Re: flatthreading - 03/12/02 09:02 PM
actually, i think it is a newbie, problem. at first there is just so much to take in.. and when i started, it was acutally possible to go back and read all the old thread.

so i stumbled across some of the solutions.. and i began to see, you thread were organized.. and creating a mental map, and order to words, is one way i deal with dyslexia- i absolutely hate magazine article that are broken into dribs and drabs.. i want a whole page of text, please! its hard enought to read with out making things more complicated!

i can understand the threaded mode, but i have trouble reading that way.. i want each post, neatly open one after an other.. but i do sometimes use the threaded mode if i can't find a reference.

since i sometimes reply to a post that is several days old.. i really feel obligated to use threaded post. i need to go back and reread the post anyway!

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: flatthreading - 03/12/02 09:17 PM
At the moment it looks like you, the ASp and I are a troika

I hate to break up your troika, but I read flat and post threaded too.
I didn't always do it that way-- at some point, a thread discussion made me aware that threadnodists would appreciate it if we flatliners would click on the actual post we are responding to, not just the last post of the thread. In return, it would make flatliners happy if threadnodists would be kind enough to provide a bit of text from the post they are responding to, so that flatliners can follow the conversation properly.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Flat Threadyslexic Society - 03/12/02 10:18 PM
Why not do both? Read flat (because it's faster), post flat (but respond to the post responded to rather than the latest one), and also quote a relevant part so that pure "flatters" will have a referent? Read by threaded mode when things get really complicated. Save mucho tiempo that way, I should think...

Ah, well. Whatever works, works.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/12/02 10:55 PM
Posted By: consuelo Re: This one's for you, Max My Love - 03/13/02 12:31 AM
Well, I just trusted that everyone here was intelligent enough to figure things out. Guess I'll just have to talk to myself. Pffffffft!!![mooning-e]
I'm doin' my best Foghorn Leghorn impression, folks, so please understand that I am making a joke.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: This wasn't for me - 03/13/02 12:37 AM
I respond "threaded" as well (guess that makes a sextet now), but then I often include comments that relate to posts further down the list.

For example, I'm replying to Helen's original post, but referring to a sextet, because Max, Anna, rapunzel and wofa have already responded similar-like.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/13/02 12:46 AM
Posted By: Jackie Re: Caution regarding speaking English - 03/13/02 02:13 AM
Thank heavens I had a post already in this thread--that's the one I clicked on; otherwise I'd have been afraid to make this one. I remember the discussion Rapunzel mentioned. I said that, since I don't have response notices mailed to me, it had never occurred to me that anyone would be thinking that I was responding to something they'd said. So now, I do try to click on the one I am responding to. I do not ever go to threaded mode--those titles just go all over the screen, and, Faldage, though I thank you for your explanation then, it just isn't worth it to me to try and make any sense of threaded mode.
But I will also say that I often respond to more than one, per post--I still haven't gotten over remarks about how many posts I've made, and being accused of trying to run my numbers up. And if that bothers somebody, well then, fine, I'll stop posting for a while.

Posted By: Fiberbabe <Sigh> - 03/13/02 09:37 AM
...whatever helen drives is a troika.

Oh, Max. [shaking head-e]

Posted By: consuelo Jackie not posting? - 03/13/02 10:23 AM
May I suggest that everyone stop posting from March 15th to the 25th? I will be gone on vacation and if y'all just hush while I'm gone, it'll make MY life easier when I come back Well, it was worth a try wasn't it?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Jackie not posting? - 03/13/02 11:56 AM
Why certainly, Consuelo, we will comply with your request. [ eyes rolling e ]

Posted By: Sparteye Re: flatthreading - 03/13/02 05:09 PM
At the momemt it looks like you, the ASp and I are a troika

Well, scooch over, 'cuz here's another one.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Flat Threadyslexic Society - 03/13/02 06:00 PM
I may have misspoke. When I said that I "post threaded" I meant that I "respond to the post responded to rather than the latest one" I also make a habit of including a portion of the post to which I am replying.

[nodding head vigorously]
Indeed, Max. That way we please both Greeks and Trojans.

Posted By: of troy Re: This wasn't for me - 03/13/02 06:09 PM
whatever helen drives is a troika.

a troika is some sort of vehicle? I drive it? i thought a troika was me, myself and I!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: This wasn't for me - 03/13/02 06:15 PM
a troika is some sort of vehicle?

tsk tsk... Somebody's not reading her WADs....

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/13/02 07:32 PM
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Flat Threadyslexic Society - 03/14/02 01:03 AM
Why not do both? Read flat (because it's faster), post flat (but respond to the post responded to rather than the latest one), and also quote a relevant part so that pure "flatters" will have a referent?

I may have misspoke. When I said that I "post threaded" I meant that I "respond to the post responded to rather than the latest one" I also make a habit of including a portion of the post to which I am replying.

I guess this is another example of arguing from the same side of the fence. I meant the same thing as you describe :-)

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/14/02 01:19 AM
Posted By: Geoff Re: Flat Threadyslexic Society - 03/14/02 03:45 AM
The last twenty posts to this thread have proved to me beyond doubt that English IS fattening, and causes high blood pressure.

Posted By: Hyla Re: Guacamole and mole - 03/14/02 06:53 PM
I have never seen anyone eat mole on guacamole

Getting back to the topic that this thread didn't start with, but that it was on in the middle before it becamse a thread on how people post and read (I do hope I'm doing the right thing by the threadnodists by replying to the post I cite above, rather than the last one - I have to admit I've never threaded) -

"mole" is actually the nahuatl word for "sauce," and guacamole is just a smushing together (often with bits of onion, salt, some lemon juice, sometimes some picante sauce) of the words aguacate and mole. Mole, as referred to quite accurately by consuelo as super-yummy when done right, is known in formal circles as "mole poblano", or "the people's mole." Its name has just been truncated and is now used to refer to a particular sauce, even though it originally just meant "sauce."

Shall I stop yammering about this and go eat lunch now?

p.s. - now that I've finished writing all this, I'm almost certain I've posted this exact bit of info' befo'

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Guacamole and mole - 03/14/02 08:56 PM
Thanks, everybody, for the clarification on the Nahuatl aspect of mole, guacamole, and aguacate. I don't know if I knew it once and forgot, or if it's new information (it's so hard to keep track ) ~ but I had always wanted to know how water (agua) figured into avocado (aguacate). [shrug]

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 03/14/02 09:12 PM
Posted By: Keiva Re: etymology avocado - 03/14/02 09:29 PM
Max notes an etymology from Nahuatl *huacatl avocado, testicle

Is this also the origin of the italian avvocato, meaning lawyer? [wide-eyed innocent -e]

(Post-edit to Hyla: yup! ]

Posted By: Hyla Re: etymology avocado - 03/14/02 09:54 PM
Nahuat's your point, Keiva?

I'd say that, unless the Nahuats and the Etruscans had much truck with each other, the Italians probably got the word from somewhere else. The Italian word comes from the same root as the English advocate, and turns into abogado in español. ['splainin'-whatcha-likely-already-knew e]

Posted By: Bingley Re: etymology avocado - 04/16/02 04:44 AM
In reply to:

Etymology:modification of Spanish aguacate, from Nahuatl *huacatl avocado, testicle

Aha! So there is an etymological justification of that drink much beloved in certain social circles in Indonesia: thick avocado juice with a swirl of liquid chocolate through it. (I'm quite partial to it myself as well.)

Bingley