Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Let's Talk about the New - 01/01/02 02:46 PM
and not necessarily the gnu

What's all that's new wordwise here on this first day of 2002? New rhymes with two, and that's kind of sweet to consider here this day.

new
inchoate (Lawrence's word that he wears as a jewel in his crown)
unfolding
bud
budding out
born
nativity
outset
opening
fresh
"Make it new" (Wasn't that Pound? It wasn't Cole Porter.)
first
one
fountainhead
inhilation

...there's so much that's new. What's new with you?

Best regards here new in 2002,
DubDub

Posted By: Jackie Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/01/02 04:00 PM
Dear DubDub,

Best thing so far this year: that you & I are newly friends. [sunbeam smile e]

'Nother word: incipient.

Love you!

Posted By: Geoff Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/01/02 04:27 PM
"Here's to Inchoate friendships!" he said, as he drove away in his old BMW 2002. (Yes, there REALLY was such a BMW - back in the late sixties/early seventies. Here, of course, BMW stands for Brilliant Mind WordWind. And Jaguar stands for Jackie Always Goes Up And Restores (restores peace and good feelings on AWAD!) A couple of high-end friends!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/01/02 04:33 PM
...and here's to neoteric friends and threads.

Posted By: Keiva Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/01/02 05:51 PM
here's to neoteric friends and threads.

to friends and threads both nascent and renascent.

Posted By: Angel Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/01/02 06:03 PM
to friends and threads both nascent and renascent.

I do hope that includes me!And a thank you to all for welcoming me to the board.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/01/02 06:52 PM
Why, of course, a big wecome here, Angel, you neophyte!

DubDub

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/01/02 06:57 PM
And, Jackie, big kiss to you!

And to Geoff: Baffled Mind Wordwind (usual state of consciousness!)

And to dear tsuwm: Is that nee OTT erh ik
or nee oh TERR ic? (And please don't ask me to LIU. I am horribly lazy and don't liked LIngIU at all.

And Tyro, too, and Tippecanoe!

Dub

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/01/02 07:47 PM
And to dear tsuwm: Is that nee OTT erh ik
or nee oh TERR ic? (And please don't ask me to LIU. I am horribly lazy and don't liked LIngIU at all.

dear dub (US slang, One who is inexperienced or unskilful at anything; a duffer, a fool),

nee oh TERR ic would be closer.

Posted By: wwh Re: inhilation - 01/01/02 09:40 PM
I have looked at all the dictionaries I have access to and cannot find "inhilation"..
I can find many sites that use it, apparently as synonym for "inhalation". Is it just a very common mis-spelling?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: inhilation - 01/01/02 11:04 PM
Zing! You zapped me, Bill. Inhalation it is.

DD

Posted By: tsuwm Re: inhilation - 01/01/02 11:05 PM
>Is it just a very common mis-spelling?

it's not even a very thoughtful misspelling, as it suggests no actual or even hilarious words to me.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: An embryonic thread? - 01/02/02 12:38 AM
The subject's it....emergent, unfolding...the first figments of conception...

Posted By: wwh Re: An embryonic thread? - 01/02/02 01:04 AM
I wish my neoteny were more physical than mental.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/02/02 01:46 AM
Now, Angel, what is it that makes me think that renascent is extremely appropriate to you, hmm??

Posted By: wwh Re: An embryonic thread? - 01/02/02 02:08 AM
."the first figments of conception..." Like the guy who said his wife was inconceivable.

Posted By: Angel Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/02/02 03:29 AM
Now, Angel, what is it that makes me think that renascent is extremely appropriate to you, hmm??

Why, Jackie, I was referring to nascent..as per my trusty, and never dusty,Websters:

nascent, adj. Beginning to exist or develop.

As I am very new to this board, I hope this is a satisfactory answer to your question.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/02/02 09:08 AM
I imagine, knowing the way my mind sometimes works, that somehow inhalation got mixed up with, get ready, into a brew of dilation, and came out, over the whirling years, inhilation--both expansion of lungs and pupil, if I've got my biology right. But my biology can be a whirlwind, too.

Yet I'm happy to have the correct spelling in my head now, along with crysalis and Cole Porter's music. Besides, inhalation is a much better spelling for poetic use, at least.

Thus saith the initiate, the Fool,
Wordwind Dub

Posted By: wwh Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/02/02 05:37 PM
Dear WW: "crysalis ?" tut,tut. I'm crying saline tears.

Posted By: wwh Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/02/02 05:49 PM
Frst Angel: I thought of making a mildly gallant jest by saying you have brought some "nascent oxygen" to the board, but when I looked it up on Internet, I encountered so many kooky health faddist sites, I decided against it.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/02/02 06:09 PM
wwh:

I will never, ever in this lifetime get chrysalis. It will be a permanent word of doom for me in the Big Spelling Bee in the Sky. People up there will be spelling their facetious, and xebec, and okey-dokey with the hyphen, and Tchaikovsky and all kinds of words and then Saint Peter will look at me and will say, "OK. Theresa. Spell 'chrysalis.'" And I'll get the worst case of performance anxiety of my life, and I'll say, "May I ask Bill, please?"

Best regards,
WW, a spelling bee champ wannabe, still a chrysalis

Posted By: wwh Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/02/02 06:20 PM
Dear WW: The only thing that saves me from a zap a day is my ten buck WNWdictionary CD, always running minimized.

Posted By: wwh Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/03/02 12:40 AM
Dear WW: Your "make it new" finally registered with me. It was "make it new, make it new. make it new.
And the title was "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" By Sammy Cahn Imagine a musical ignoramus like me telling a music teacher!

In LA, it was the hottest summer on record, and to
escape the heat, Sammy suggested a trip to the
beach. Jule's fateful reply was, "Why don't we stay
here and write a winter song?" The lyricist sat
down at his typewriter, thought for a moment about
the weather, and typed "Oh! The weather outside
is frightful." "Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It
Snow" became one of the most popular seasonal
songs ever composed.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/03/02 09:24 AM
Dear wwh:

(Oh, we are becoming so chatty here.)

I awoke this morning to new fallen snow. I missed the first flakes, so deep in sleep was I.

This is not nascent snow, but renascent--it evokes old images couched in the newness that lies out there in the grove and will cause the birth of so many thoughts, inchoate now in the early morning, but this nativity will be an unfolding of astonishing vision today. They say that we first learn how to turn the mind into fresh perspective when we are taken in the arms of our fathers and turned upside down.

To inspiration! And inhalation! And all that causes us to awaken in the fall of the season's first snow!

Best regards,
WorldWonder and Wonderful and Ever Wakening

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/03/02 02:23 PM
WW exults:

To inspiration! And inhalation! And all that causes us to awaken in the fall of the season's first snow!

Try telling that to Angel.

Posted By: Angel Re:It's Snow Fun - 01/03/02 08:23 PM
And all that causes us to awaken in the fall of the season's first snow!

Try telling that to Angel.

Anybody wanna snowman? I'll send you one! Got a few around here...some assembly required though!

Posted By: Geoff Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/04/02 03:21 AM
I will never, ever in this lifetime get chrysalis.

I surely hope not! You only catch that from being intimate with a moth!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/04/02 01:18 PM
Dear Geoff,

As I said, my biology's all mixed up, too. I see that you, Bill and tsuwm will eventually get me straightened out, worst case scenario for pupa that I am.

Best regards,
DD

Posted By: Geoff Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/05/02 01:44 AM
As I said, my biology's all mixed up, too. I see that you, Bill and tsuwm will eventually get me straightened out

YOUR biology,or just your knowledge of it? Let's see, Dr. Bill, do you know any good endocrenologists?

Posted By: wwh Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/05/02 02:40 AM
I once met a guy who was famous for his studies on Cecropia moths. I don't think he knew much about what every young mother should know. Or middle aged mothers either. I'm not even sure how to tell a moth from a butterfly. Metamothesis is not my line. Morph me merry, New Year! Youth in Asia may be at hand.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Let's Talk about the New - 01/05/02 03:24 PM
Dear wwh,

If you write one more single thing about Youth in Asia, you are going to cut out my heart!!!!

Love,
Theresa

© Wordsmith.org