Wordsmith.org
Posted By: paulb giggling - 10/19/01 11:30 AM
"… take the word 'giggling'. A one-word harvest of play's superfluity, its liquid, lovely over-indulgence, it has g's to spare, (g, the funniest consonant. You want proof? Gnu. Gneed I say more?) and it fills the gaps with 'i' -- the quickest, wittiest, lickspittiest, trippiest and lightesthearted of all the vowels."

"… Living languages are self-propagating, spawning seed syllables, stretching ambiguously, syntactically tactile, diffuse and suggestive as sex itself, abundant, panglossolalic, profligate, vocative, evocative and provocative. Now slippery with fictive fascination; now stiff with austere truth; now tickled with trenchant absurdity; language luxuriates in a careless, splendid, inefficient uproar I AM ALIVE."

The above excerpts are from "Pip pip: a sideways look at time" by Jay Griffiths (Flamingo 1999). A wonderful read!

Posted By: Faldage Re: giggling - 10/19/01 02:01 PM
g, the funniest consonant. You want proof? Gnu. Gneed I say more?

Gag
Garbage
Gunk
Gantry
Gaff
Gamble
Gorge
Gack

Not to mention that there's no guh in gnu.

Not that gnus are particularly funny unless you want to make people believe that you've made a point.

Posted By: Keiva Re: giggling - 10/19/01 04:16 PM
Not that gnus are particularly funny
They're gnot? That's gnews to me.

Posted By: Faldage Re: giggling - 10/19/01 04:35 PM
Not that gnus are particularly funny
They're gnot? That's gnews to me.

Ever smell one?

Posted By: of troy Re: giggling - 10/19/01 05:05 PM
Ever smell one?

Numbers have an aroma? what do numbers smell like? do they all smell the same?

Posted By: Faldage Re: giggling - 10/19/01 05:13 PM
Numbers have an aroma?

Obviously missing from your wide array of talents, ledasdottir, is synesthesia.

Posted By: maverick Re: giggling - 10/19/01 07:07 PM
synesthesia

Bless you!

Posted By: Anonymous Re: giggling - 10/19/01 07:43 PM
synesthesia

Bless you!

*giggle*

what a delightful thread! and thanks for the book recommendation ~ i've an Amazon coupon i need to use by the 31st.

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/19/01 11:39 PM
Posted By: of troy a funny letter might be.. - 10/19/01 11:52 PM
K- at least it is akording to Krusty the Klown.. in one episode of The Simpsons he laments that he doesn't have enough words K -Koo Koo idea i am sure.

Posted By: Keiva Re: giggling - 10/20/01 12:07 AM
g, the funniest consonant. You want proof?

(1) googling!
(2) gaggle of geese (waddling)

Posted By: Jackie Re: giggling - 10/20/01 12:37 AM
gaggle of geese
Take a gander at that...

Posted By: Fiberbabe Sure-fire funny - 10/20/01 01:05 AM
You want funny? Guaranteed funny in the improv world is monkeys. Anyone jumps out as a monkey, that's laughs-a-plenty, I'll tell you from experience. Monkeys. Take my word.

And as for GNUs, I'd say it pretty funny (albeit geeky funny) that GNU stands for "GNU's Not UNIX".

Oh, my sides.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Sure-fire funny - 10/20/01 01:15 AM
>GNU stands for "GNU's Not UNIX".

...the standard example given for a "recursive acronym".

http://www.logophilia.com/WordSpy/recursiveacronym.html

{list under: there's a word(s) for it}
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: giggling - 10/20/01 03:03 AM
Yeah, and if geese have the laughs, then it's a gaggle of giggles! But why would you want to gag a giggle? On the other hand, a gag can make you giggle. Aw, now I'm all confused and giggly-gaggly!

Posted By: maverick Re: a funny letter might be.. - 10/20/01 11:18 AM
K- at least it is akording to Krusty the Klown

Yep. Sure works for the Klan - I hear they are hilarious. [straightface]

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/20/01 12:07 PM
Posted By: Jackie Re: giggling - 10/20/01 12:15 PM
WO'N, I'm all giggly-gaggly that you're here.

Posted By: wwh Re: giggling - 10/20/01 02:25 PM
"Numbers have an aroma?

Obviously missing from your wide array of talents, ledasdottir, is synesthesia."

Dear Faldage: Unfair that you should accuse of troy of ignorance of synesthesia. She
; introduced the word to the Board:

kinesthesia reminds me of synestesia-- a somewhat rare condition where
people experience things with unexpected senses (ie, food has visual appeal, and aromatic
appeal, and can be taste sweet, bitter, salt or sour-- and hot or cold-- but for most of us,
it doesn't taste square, or pointed, or rounded, or yellow or purple or like a ringing
bell, or a clap of thunder! but for people with synestesia -- it can!

googling synestesia will bring up a host of sites.. there is also a book- The Man Who
Tasted Shapes.(author ??) about an inquiry into the subject...

people with the condition are said to have enriched our language-- and defined aged,
flavorful cheese as "Sharp"-- cucumbers at "green" and other mixed sensation.

Posted By: of troy Re: giggling - 10/20/01 04:05 PM
thank, Dr. bill.. by the way..
The Man Who Tasted Shapes.(author ??) about an inquiry into the subject... is by Richard E Cytowic, MD
I am home today.. and it is hand on my shelf. Facinating book.

Posted By: Sparteye It doesn't smell the same - 10/21/01 04:40 AM
The phrase "it doesn't smell the same" is part of our household lexicon, thanks to my autistic son, who uses the phrase to explain *why* he doesn't like a particular food. We aren't sure whether the issue is actually smell at all, but since he applies it sometimes to some fairly familiar foods, we don't think that it is meant to describe his adversions to things unfamiliar. The phrase might also relate to textures which he finds unpleasant.

Whatever - the phrase is in use now in our house to express an unwillingness to perform a task or try a new experience. If the usage catches on, in 50 years the etymolgists will be completely stymied trying to conjure how it developed. [eg]

Posted By: tsuwm Re: It doesn't smell the same - 10/21/01 02:33 PM
>If the usage catches on...

[blink]digression alert[/blink]

I often get questions along these lines, I have coined a wonderful word/phrase -- how do I get it into the dictionary?

ludicrosity aside, what is this fascination with getting into the dictionary? it's not like anyone will ever know that a word is really "yours".

Posted By: Keiva Re: It doesn't smell the same - 10/21/01 03:17 PM
"ludicrosity"? Would that term make anastrophe anacross?

Posted By: of troy a small ambition. - 10/21/01 03:38 PM
tsuwm, in a world were all we can expect is 15 minutes of fame, a dictionary, a book we (well everyone here!) all hold near and dear, is a more lasting tribute.

Look how we turn to the OED.. it is an authority! if any of us, could become a member of this authority..(and weren't we all thrilled when falaged did!) it a hope beyond most of us! we could aspire to worse things than being names as citation in the OED!

and as for me, no olympic gold medals, no rhodes scholarships, no likelihood of a nobel prize, never miss america, so many things, outside my reach.. but i can hope, that some useage of mine, would be, could be, cited, as the prime example of usage..

Posted By: tsuwm Re: a small ambition. - 10/21/01 03:52 PM
we could aspire to worse things than being names as citation in the OED!

but that's just it, troy. it doesn't work that way and the chances of your name being associated with a word are just about nonexistant, even if you did coin it! you have to get it used, in an article or a book... multiple uses in a variety of sources and geographically diverse places -- and those are what get cited.

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/21/01 04:38 PM
Posted By: wwh Re: a small ambition. - 10/21/01 05:37 PM
Dear tsuwm: Your word "ludicrosity" sent me to Internet. There I found several sites that use the word, and a URL that has a picture of Osama bin Laden taken when he was a student at Oxford!

http://ludicrosity.blogspot.com/

Posted By: tsuwm Re: a small ambition. - 10/21/01 05:38 PM
>does Bob Greene get credit for "yuppie"?

nope. [QED2]

Posted By: Faldage Re: synesthesia - 10/22/01 03:52 PM
Obviously missing from your wide array of talents, ledasdottir, is synesthesia."

Dear Faldage: Unfair that you should accuse of troy of ignorance of synesthesia.

Ah, you mistake me, my good Dr. Bill. I accused her not of ignorance, I but commented that she was deficient in the talent.

Posted By: wwh Re: synesthesia - 10/22/01 06:37 PM
How could you tell?

Posted By: Faldage Re: synesthesia - 10/22/01 06:58 PM
Dr. Bill asks re (I presume) my observation that our swan necked one was deficient in the art of synesthesia; How could you tell?

Because she knew not that the number one had a different odor nor the other numbers, or, indeed, that numbers had an odor at all.

Posted By: wwh Re: synesthesia - 10/23/01 12:28 AM
Dear Faldage: I'll bet a big stack of bills she knows the difference between the smell of number one, and the smell of number two.

Posted By: Faldage Re: synesthesia - 10/23/01 02:13 PM
The smell of numbers. I dunno, Dr. Bill. She seems to have said that she doesn't. Or either that or she does but won't admit it, one.

Posted By: wwh Re: synesthesia - 10/23/01 02:24 PM
Dear Faldage: In the old country schools, if a pupil needed to void, he held up one finger to indicate he needed to leave the room for the little house out back. If he held up two fingers, that meant he would need to be gone a bit longer. The teacher knew number one was yellow, and number two was brown, but was glad she did not have to smell them The jocks still use the old terminology when they announce their intention to "do a number" on their opponents.

Posted By: Faldage Say, "Good night", Dr. Bill. - 10/23/01 02:42 PM

Posted By: wow Re: synesthesia./synaethesia - 10/23/01 07:11 PM
Got synaesthesia in the OED when I tried synesthesia.

One interesting part of the prime definition is Psychol "a sensation produced in one part of the body by stimulation of another."

That should wake up the Gutter Police!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Numbers One and Two - 10/23/01 07:47 PM
In George Carlin's list number one is number two and number two is number one.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: synesthesia./synaethesia - 10/23/01 08:31 PM

Got synaesthesia in the OED when I tried synesthesia.

wow, we all know how those Brits enjoy their extra vowels and extra syllables.

Anyway, to add to the list: there's a new book out on synesthesia called Blue Cats and Chartreuse Kittens by Patricia Duffy, a language instructor at the United Nations. I read the blurb and learned that among famous synesthetes were Nabokov and Rimbaud.

I also learned, a long time ago, that many children are born with synesthetic abilities but have it 'categorized' out of them by puberty. I can remember numbers, days and months having specific colors when I was a child, but it no longer happens.

Anyway, seems that some take this ability to be a disability. Here's a self-help site I stumbled upon, FWIW:

http://www.dischord.net/synesthesia

pointedly ignoring Dr Bill's crudeness

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Numbers One and Two - 10/23/01 08:35 PM
George Carlin's list
okay, let's get the suspense over with... http://staff.dstc.edu.au/bill/carlin.html

WARNING: it's the seven-words-you-can't-say-on-television list

Posted By: wwh Re: Numbers One and Two - 10/23/01 09:14 PM
So what would the teacher think if a kid held up three fingers, and then four?

Posted By: rodward Re: Numbers One and Two - 10/24/01 11:03 AM
Are those words still prohibited or self censored on US TV? You can hear them all on UK TV; admittedly some more than others, but numbers 1, 2, and 7 would not even be hidden behind the "9 o'clock watershed".
Number 4 is a rarity on UK TV but not unknown, usually in documentaries.

Posted By: Flatlander Free the Carlin Seven! - 10/24/01 12:44 PM
Are those words still prohibited or self censored on US TV?

Yes, sirree. I think you can get away with #2 piss, and if you don't mind a TV-M (for Mature) rating you can throw in a #1shit, but the rest are still verboten and subject to fines from the Federal Communication Commission. A couple of years ago an actor on Saturday Night Live threw in an accidental #3 fuck when she was doing a character based on her grandmother (who apparently had a mouth like a sailor) and there was a bit of a furor about it (there were some clamoring for the show to be put on a several second delay so the censor could be standing by on the button.

I'm shocked to hear that our proper brothers and sisters across the pond are OK with such colourful language! And what kind of documentaries are you watching?!
© Wordsmith.org