Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/14/01 08:44 AM
The definitions are:

1. the act of transvestitism; cross-dressing

2. Most Scottish Lairds used men as their servants on sporting trips - Ghyllies (Gaellic for servant) but a very small number used both men and women in this job. Such a system was known as a "Gylany" (or "ghyllany")

3. an act of treachery; a trick or subterfuge

4. the smallest unit of Rumanian currency; now virt. obs

5.An adjective to describe a gentle, caressing gesture similar to the tender touch a mother gives her newborn infant.

6. wary, suspicious, particularly of somebody's real intentions or motives.

7. An ankle chain or shackle typically used to fetter elephants

8.The interaction of the laws of balance and suspension that keep tight-rope walkers from falling (for instance).

9.The urge to rearrange furniture.

10. A society in which the sexes are of equal status, neither a patriarchy nor a matriarchy.

11. Pronounced gi LAH nee. Used for an item whose real name has been temporarily forgotten, a thingy, whatsit.

Caradea and tsuwm sent in very similar definitions, so I have combined them. Definitions supplied by:
Bingley; Brandon; Flatlander; paulb; RhubarbCommando; rodward; squid; tsuwm/caradea; Whitman O’Neill; wordcrazy.

Please vote before 12 noon WIB on Friday 17 August (Indonesian Independence Day), = 5 a.m. GMT = midnight Thurs/Fri board time.

Bingley
Posted By: jimthedog Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/14/01 11:47 AM

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/14/01 05:18 PM
Although I suspect that it's self-illustrative, I'll go with no. 3

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/14/01 07:40 PM
3 for me too, please.

Posted By: wordcrazy Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/14/01 07:42 PM
No. 10 A society in which the sexes are of equal status, neither a patriarchy nor a matriarchy.

Wish it were so.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/14/01 07:49 PM
I think I'll go with number 1. No comment.

Posted By: Hyla Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/14/01 09:50 PM
I, too, will go with 1.

But with a comment - this round happened pretty fast, and I didn't even see that there was a new word until the polls opened (it had slid down off the first page of threads over the weekend - I tend to AWADify at the office rather than home). So, I was robbed of an opportunity for creative washing of hogs.

[/pathetic gripe]

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/14/01 11:36 PM
three (3)

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 08/15/01 12:30 AM
Posted By: Flatlander Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/15/01 11:28 AM
None of them sound even remotely possible. I'm not sure if it's harder choosing when all of the possibilities sound good or when they all seem fake. Avoiding Max's tainted ten, I'll take treacherous three.

Posted By: Marianna Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/15/01 01:25 PM
I'll go with 10.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/15/01 02:20 PM
[throwing-dart emoticon] --> 1

It is almost certainly no 2, says he - but I feel the need for company, and what better than to join Max and Marianna
EDIT: sorry wordcrazy - I see you are also part of this illustrious (or is it illusory?) company: better still!
I'll go for 10

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/15/01 03:49 PM
I'll go with 1 too.

Posted By: Brandon Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/15/01 04:00 PM
7 looks tantalizing, but I'm not into that stuff. Since being the part and looking the part may have some difference, chalk me up for a number 1. And thankfully, I have some company.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/16/01 02:20 AM
2...'cause, why not?

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/16/01 02:50 AM
[whine]
I too didn't get to put in a definition, and I immediately conceived a good one when I saw the word. Guess I'll have to adapt it to wash another hog.
[/whine]

Posted By: paulb Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/16/01 11:40 AM
7, I think.

Posted By: squid Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/17/01 08:19 AM
Firstly I would like to inquire about the missing periods at the end of numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7. Is this a secret code??

eeny-meeny-miny-moe

Posted By: maverick Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/17/01 12:58 PM
well, I may have missed playing this round, but I certainly know who is kidding whom... Great daftinitions, guys!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hogwash polls are open for gylany - 08/17/01 01:54 PM
well, I may have missed playing this round

(sniff)...it's not the same without ya, mav!

© Wordsmith.org