Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Quote/Unquote - 06/02/01 01:08 AM
Wasn't sure which area was most appropriate for this, so I'll post it here. A gentleman from Australia named "Soma" posted this for us over on the eMule.com Poetry archives discussion forum, and we've been having a blast with it ever since. It's a site called "Quote/Unquote" where you try to solve the origins and references for hundreds of posted "lost quotes". And if you nail the quote correctly, they remove it from the board. I know...as if we all don't have enough addictive web-time at wonderful sites like AWAD already! So, with an act of guilt and gifting all in the same motion, here's the URL...and it's tough! If you get 2 or 3 you're an overachiever! Good luck!

http://www1.btwebworld.com/quote-unquote/

And you can compare scores, or brag, on this thread if you want.

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Quote/Unquote - 06/03/01 04:16 PM
This is fascinating and distracting, WhitmO'N... thanks a heap! Now I'll never get anything done!

Posted By: wow Re: Quote/Unquote - 06/03/01 08:32 PM
You really thought you might get thanks for the link, Whit?

I need that like I need to find another pastry I like!
Yum Yum

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Q/UnQ: "the full monty" origins? - 06/03/01 09:15 PM
Did anybody see the source discussion for the phrase "the full monty" on this site's newsletter excerpt? I kind of like the card game theory myself. During my regular poker night phase we played a game called "Three Card Monte" that was famous for creating enormous pots (winner-take-all) Didn't know the origins of the name or game, though...or even that it was a Spanish word.
Careful in your musings of this phrase, folks...the Gutter Police are surely watching!!! ...Aw, go ahead and have fun anyway!

Posted By: wordcrazy Re: Quote/Unquote - 06/04/01 02:40 AM
It's a site called "Quote/Unquote" where you try to solve the origins and references for hundreds of posted "lost quotes".

WhitmanO'NeillYou should really find a website called "Word Addicts Anonymous" instead of feeding our addiction.
So like Fiberbabe and wow, I say thanks and no thanks!

Maybe thanks, on second thought maybe no thanks....

Oh, what the heck, just a peek and no more, I won't stay for long.......

chronist
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Quote/Unquote - 06/04/01 03:04 AM
Maybe thanks, on second thought maybe no thanks

Yes, wordcrazy!...That's exactly the mixed blessing of "thanks" I sent to my friend Soma who tipped me off to the link! I clicked over for just a "peek," and to bookmark it, and wound up staying for over an hour on the first look! And now we've got a thread going comparing notes over on the other site! It's like peanuts and potato chips! But it's just too fascinating and intriguing a site not to share! Anybody solve any, yet?

© Wordsmith.org