Wordsmith.org
Posted By: bexter woofits results - 04/24/11 10:31 AM
sorry for the ridiculously late results posting! but here they all are, ready for your amusement...

A A short rope that was used to immobilize the ship's wheel, keeping the ship on course, when the helmsman needed to step away from the wheel belMarduk Buffalo Shrdlu, Avy, olly

B n., a gazebo-like structure made popular from the time the wealthy FitzGerald family of Wales built them Jackie wofahulicodoc

C n. a summons; from the Early Old English period to come to the great mead hall and feast on mead music and poetry BranShea LukeJavan8

D any of a half-dozen species of cliff-dwelling
birds which make their nests on the west coast of Ireland
and Northern Britain. Named for the sound their wings
make while diving for food LukeJavan8 BranShea, Faldage

E The unpleasant aftereffects of overindulgence, especially drinking True – Lester Berrey’s American Thesaurus

F adj. lame in the left leg. From the Cornish weofhit, 'tilted' Faldage Jackie, Candy

And so every one got a vote except for the true one!
Posted By: Candy Re: woofits results - 04/24/11 11:14 AM
well thats all good Bex ....but are you going to make a comment about my daffy???

I feel a woofit coming on!
Posted By: Avy Re: woofits results - 04/24/11 11:49 AM
Two others voted for the same one I did. Olly I know... Who's Buffalo Shrudlu..............?
Oh Eta!!!! Now I get it.
(One day I'm going virtual kick up my virtual backside from him if I don't stop this.)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: woofits results - 04/24/11 01:24 PM
from OED online: (check out the citations, esp. the 1st)

/ˈwuːfɪts/
Etymology: Origin unknown.
slang.

An unwell feeling, esp. in the head; moody depression.

1918 J. M. Grider War Birds (1927) 96 Curtis says he is suffering from the Woofits, that dread disease that comes from overeating and underdrinking*. [EA]
1918 J. M. Grider War Birds (1927) 207, I drank too much coffee before getting up and I'm as nervous as a kitten now. Must be getting the Woofits.
1932 Amer. Speech 7 338 [Johns Hopkins jargon.] Woofits, ailment that comes with ‘the morning after the night before’.
1958 ‘N. Shute’ Rainbow & Rose 100 Getting the woofits now, because I don't sleep so good.

*the quote appears to be accurate. link
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: woofits results - 04/24/11 03:02 PM
Fun and interesting exercise, Bex, thanks for the effort
and the work, what, with your computer down so much.
Great job.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: woofits results - 04/24/11 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Avy
Two others voted for the same one I did. Olly I know... Who's Buffalo Shrudlu..............?
Oh Eta!!!! Now I get it.
(One day I'm going virtual kick up my virtual backside from him if I don't stop this.)

heh

perhaps I should even further expand my signature?

:¬ )
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: woofits results - 04/24/11 08:51 PM
Perhaps an entry as one would find in "Who's Who?"
Posted By: BranShea Re: woofits results - 04/24/11 09:16 PM
E E I never saw a true one that looked so much like a fake one!
Posted By: Candy Re: woofits results - 04/25/11 01:06 AM
...and funny how it didn't get a single vote crazy
Posted By: Jackie Re: woofits results - 04/25/11 02:02 AM
You skunked us all, Bexter! grin
Posted By: BranShea Re: woofits results - 04/25/11 07:59 AM
Interesting link. But I hoped to find a highlighted woofits there as I've got no time to read it all.

Thanks @ Bexter , shrewd word. Who wants to vote for a definition of something so unpleasant as a woofits? not me!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: woofits results - 04/25/11 01:27 PM
>But I hoped to find a highlighted woofits there

but.. your browser should have a simple 'find' function (e.g., CTRL-f), which will quickly find both listed citations within that link.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: woofits results - 04/25/11 02:52 PM
Yup, a word none of us knew, absolutely none of us.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: woofits results - 04/26/11 11:00 PM
I won. I won. I am running around the living room waving to the crowd. Well, not to the crowd exactly...there's only hubby here, but I'm waving anyway. YAY!

La, la, la.
Posted By: Jackie Re: woofits results - 04/27/11 02:34 AM
smile Congrats, m'amie!
Posted By: BranShea Re: woofits results - 04/27/11 08:39 AM
Thanks tsuwm, I've taken notice. There's more I don't know.
© Wordsmith.org