Wordsmith.org
Posted By: bizzaro double entendre - 04/15/11 11:55 AM
I watched an episode of Modern Family and the scene was as follows:

The character Cam is wearing bicycle shorts that are very revealing.

Cam: I can't decide whether to take Lily to the park or the lake. Im leaning towards the park

Claire: I can see that (staring at his crotch)

I know it is a double entendre but i want the reference explained please. It is really bugging me!
Posted By: Avy Re: double entendre - 04/15/11 12:59 PM
I know she means his "leaning" is in the direction of homosexuality. I did not know that "park" is a synonym for gay?
Posted By: bizzaro Re: double entendre - 04/15/11 01:13 PM
I thought she is referring to what she is seeing when staring at his shorts. Does this somehow imply that he is gay? I want to know what she means by "I can see that"
Posted By: BranShea Re: double entendre - 04/15/11 01:32 PM
Maybe it'll take 12 episodes to get this unraveled. Cloudy business.
Posted By: Avy Re: double entendre - 04/15/11 02:05 PM
Okay you want it spelt out? (Sorry Jackie/Faldage-s.) A Cornish guy once told me that if a man is gay he keeps his penis on one side of his shorts. If he is straight it's on the other side. Now can some one say if park means gay. That bit(s), I don't understand.
Posted By: bizzaro Re: double entendre - 04/15/11 02:11 PM
Alright I understand that reference now. I was simply confused because he said leaning towards the park. I did not understand the sentence in its entirety. I watch many shows and I always understand the subtexts and nuances and whatever. I couldn't handle not understanding this =)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: double entendre - 04/15/11 02:12 PM
we live near a city park that is reputed to have a trail where gays can make contacts; maybe this is a common phenomenon.
Posted By: bizzaro Re: double entendre - 04/15/11 02:28 PM
Interesting, those guys should get Iphones (there are apps for organising such encounters) This is an awesome forum, glad I found it, although it seems like I will have to brush up on my linguistics to participate meaningfully.

BTW: do you use American or British English? I don't want to seem grammatically challenged...
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: double entendre - 04/15/11 03:16 PM
Just post and don't worry about it. You'll get told
off if you offend someone, out of line or not.
Posted By: Candy Re: double entendre - 04/15/11 10:55 PM
I use Australian but we are multilingual here laugh
Posted By: Faldage Re: double entendre - 04/15/11 11:36 PM
You don't have to worry about brushing up on your linguistics. We have several here who can handle the linguistics end quite well; goofy and zmjezhd come to mind. Just be curious about words and language and be ready to enjoy yourself.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: double entendre - 04/16/11 11:03 AM
Originally Posted By: bizzaro
I thought she is referring to what she is seeing when staring at his shorts. Does this somehow imply that he is gay? I want to know what she means by "I can see that"

I know nothing about the show, but I don't find anything in the quoted dialog that implies more than which side he's on physically. But I may not be up on the lingo either, or it may require knowledge of the characters.

Peter
Posted By: obihave Re: double entendre - 04/17/11 07:00 AM
I don't see how it has to do with being gay at all. Perhaps his junk was simply leaning toward the actual direction of the park?
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: double entendre - 04/17/11 07:55 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant; your statement is just 87.3% more clear than mine.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: double entendre - 04/17/11 03:02 PM
Yeah, what he said.
Posted By: Jackie Re: double entendre - 04/18/11 03:43 AM
I use Australian Good heavens--and here I was, imagining you speaking Strine.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: double entendre - 04/26/11 11:07 PM
That's pretty much it, obi. I watch this sitcom. In this particular show, Cam's husband was upset about how revealing the bicyle shorts were - the show even pixeled out the part around Cam's penis - so they continued the joke by having Claire comment about the side to which Cam was pointing.
Posted By: bizzaro Re: double entendre - 05/03/11 09:03 AM
That confirms by musings! The physical direction. I was ignoring the simple answer and looking for depth
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: double entendre - 05/03/11 11:11 AM
Nope, I'm not going to say it.
Posted By: va-vavoom Re: double entendre - 06/23/11 06:45 AM
In the military, when you are fitted for dress uniforms, it will be noted whether to 'dress right' or 'dress left' depending on which side your penis normally rests so that your trousers fit correctly and more important, comfortably.
Just another one of those odd bits of whatever stuck in my brain from having been a service brat.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: double entendre - 06/23/11 04:11 PM
Only in the military.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Dress Right, Dress ! - 06/23/11 05:28 PM
And in Britain/Europe, I think. I recall novels with a proper tailor inquiring of Our Hero (who's only recently come into his own) "How do you dress, Sir?"

In the US we don't use tailors any more, as a rule.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Dress Right, Dress ! - 06/23/11 05:46 PM

Now that you mention it, I've read that sentence too, and had
no idea what it meant. I think I remember my father trying to
explain it when we went clothes shopping, but I was too busy
to pay much attention to him. Dang.
Posted By: va-vavoom Re: Dress Right, Dress ! - 06/24/11 07:15 AM
ah, but 'dress right' or 'dress left' can also mean to look that direction and 'form up' on that person so that your line is straight and you are a measured distance from the other person. I think it is actually, 'dress, right, dress' if I remember from my daughter's marching band days.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc At ease - 06/24/11 02:07 PM

Indeed; that was the source of the title of my post, and also another instance of the original thread title "double entendre" !
© Wordsmith.org