Wordsmith.org
Posted By: bexter Woofits Hogwash - 04/15/11 09:10 AM
Hear ye hear ye, the (rather measly number of) daffynitions are here. You maye ass always vote fore whichever onee youe feele moste likeablness fore bye the ende date of nexte frigedæg. Happee Huntings

A) A short rope that was used to immobilize the ship's wheel, keeping the ship on course, when the helmsman needed to step away from the wheel

B) n., a gazebo-like structure made popular from the time the wealthy FitzGerald family of Wales built them

C) n. a summons; from the Early Old English period to come to the great mead hall and feast on mead music and poetry

D) Any of a half-dozen species of cliff-dwelling
birds which make their nests on the west coast of Ireland
and Northern Britain. Named for the sound their wings
make while diving for food

E) The unpleasant aftereffects of overindulgence, especially drinking

F) adj. lame in the left leg. From the Cornish weofhit, 'tilted'
Posted By: BranShea Re: Woofits Hogwash - 04/15/11 01:21 PM
Not to worry. It's not the quantity but the quality. I wish I knew more about boats but that they are supposed to float. Handicapped by not knowing wat gazebo means that choice is out too. I do know about summons and poetry and the others are clear as well. So I must choose from the last 4. I like the lefty weofhit, C.. or F...,.. but I like birds better.
D
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Woofits Hogwash - 04/15/11 02:51 PM
oh dear; I really really hope it's not F), as that reminds me of the time I found the word furrahin (the right-hand hindmost horse that walks in the furrow in plowing) and all the time I spent searching for the word for the *left-hand horse.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Woofits Hogwash - 04/15/11 03:10 PM

Make mine C, thanks Bexter.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Woofits Hogwash - 04/15/11 03:24 PM
A is neat.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Woofits Hogwash - 04/15/11 10:12 PM
F for me.
Posted By: Candy Re: Woofits Hogwash - 04/15/11 10:45 PM
I liked the bird one too, Bran....until I read the last one. That one I love and if it isnt the real def......then it should be.
F for me, Bex.
Posted By: Avy Re: Woofits Hogwash - 04/16/11 12:42 AM
A for me.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Woofits Hogwash - 04/16/11 11:28 PM
I suppose I should vote. I'm going for D.
Posted By: olly Re: Woofits Hogwash - 04/20/11 01:46 AM
Gimme an A
Posted By: wofahulicodoc purple prose - 04/20/11 02:11 AM
You left out G: On a loom, the eyelets through which the run vertical threads, which will be traversed by the shuttle (mainly because I didn't send it in in time)

so I'll have to vote for the Fitzgeralds' gazebo, which the children affectionately called "Woofits." Thus, B
Posted By: BranShea Re: purple prose - 04/20/11 07:13 AM
I still haven't looked up gazebo, but I guess it must be something of a cabin, watch-house or tower. Some decades ago we made a bike trip through Denmark where we found a small lakeside cabin we 'borrowed' for one night which was called Bang's Bo.
Posted By: Candy Re: purple prose - 04/20/11 11:14 AM
Originally Posted By: wofahulicodoc
You left out G: On a loom, the eyelets through which the run vertical threads, which will be traversed by the shuttle (mainly because I didn't send it in in time)

and mine cry

H. A series of children's books that featured anthropomorphic dog like animals who lived in a Yorkshire coal mining village.

Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: purple prose - 04/20/11 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
I still haven't looked up gazebo, but I guess it must be something of a cabin, watch-house or tower. Some decades ago we made a bike trip through Denmark where we found a small lakeside cabin we 'borrowed' for one night which was called Bang's Bo.

google images for 'gazebo'

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&sourc...&aql=&oq=gazebo
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: purple prose - 04/20/11 03:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Candy
Originally Posted By: wofahulicodoc

and mine cry

H. A series of children's books that featured anthropomorphic dog like animals who lived in a Yorkshire coal mining village.

both good! sorry you missed!
Posted By: BranShea Re: purple prose - 04/20/11 06:55 PM
Thank you Luke, see? Little luxurious watch-towers for having tea and spying on your neighbours. I knew it! Sooner or later someone was going to produce a link. laugh
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: purple prose - 04/20/11 08:25 PM
I have a fence between myself and one neighbor. There is
absolutely nothing I want to spy on that account.
Posted By: BranShea Re: purple prose - 04/20/11 08:55 PM
Just joking! crazy
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: purple prose - 04/20/11 09:17 PM
I know you are. My yard is big enough for a good size
gazebo, but I have a grape arbor, and enjoy sitting under
the vines with my morning coffee. Far more natural.
And inviting.
Posted By: BranShea Re: purple prose - 04/22/11 08:12 AM
Ignoring the excellent but overdue purple daefynitions, A and F are leading. But I'd like to hear the thruth about woofs at last. Anyone else still some vote to add?

BEXTER! het is vrijdag !!
Posted By: Avy Re: purple prose - 04/22/11 09:31 AM

BEXTER! het is vrijdag !!

BEXTER! It is Friday!!
Yaayy! It is ages since I have done this. I used to work for a dutch NRM consultant and he had these books on livestock, agriculture etc. and it used to bother me that I could not under a single word so I began a game of looking up every single word in the sentence to find out what it means. I have no dutch since I forget the words and the sentence the next instance (I'll never use it), but I can understand a sentence of dutch if I apply my game to it. Thanks Branshea that was fun!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: purple prose - 04/22/11 03:33 PM
What she said! (What did she say?)
Posted By: Faldage Re: purple prose - 04/22/11 03:55 PM
She said, "Het is vrijdag."
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: purple prose - 04/22/11 04:06 PM
Thanks a bunch.
Posted By: Jackie Re: purple prose - 04/23/11 03:39 AM
Even I got it!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: purple prose - 04/23/11 03:51 PM
I'm slow, I did not get it, still don't.
Posted By: BranShea Re: purple prose - 04/23/11 03:59 PM
Sure, the right language sensitivity !, but... now it's Saturday and Bexter may have a computer crash and hopefully just that and nothing worse. I'll wait till Monday and then I will crawl towards my dictionary.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: purple prose - 04/23/11 04:05 PM
Sure, the right language sensitivity !, but... now it's Saturday and Bexter may have a computer crash and hopefully just that and nothing worse. I'll wait till Monday and then I will crawl towards my dictionary.

And I don't have a Dutch/English dictionary. I suppose
I could buy one, or use babelfish. Bex did say there would
be computer problems until July
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: purple prose - in two languages - 04/23/11 09:36 PM

And I don't have a Dutch/English dictionary. I suppose
I could buy one, or use babelfish...

Sure you do, and you even hinted at it by invoking babelfish. If you have a computer you have a browser, and if you Google "Dutch English Dictionary" the very first entry will take you here . Even if you spell it "Duthc English dictionar" the way I did.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: purple prose - in two languages - 04/24/11 12:12 AM
Never in any lifetime would I have thought of that. Thanks.
I still go to bookstores. I think I am ready to leave
this life: getting too complicated, an old goat like me
cannot keep up.
Posted By: bexter Re: purple prose - in two languages - 04/24/11 10:27 AM
hehe so sorry for the delay, what with sick cat, horse moving to a new home AND my computer going down yestderday I was most displeased...thanks for all the votes and sorry wofa and candy frown ! the results are going up as we speak... laugh
Posted By: Candy Re: purple prose - in two languages - 04/24/11 11:20 AM
Like that saying.....'it never rains but it pours'

true Bex!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: purple prose - in two languages - 04/24/11 02:54 PM
We all have days/weeks like that. Do you raise horses????
Posted By: bexter Re: purple prose - in two languages - 04/24/11 07:58 PM
I know! hehe I don't raise them but I do own a couple...one is going up for sale but he is moving to another yard where they have summer riding camps in the hope that one of the kids there will fall in love with him (after a week) and their parents' will buy/loan him for them, much easier than putting him up for sale and waiting for someone to come look - he will get fed and exercised and he will look prettier than ever!

picture (hit [control -] (minus) three times to get it to the right scale...)
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: purple prose - in two languages - 04/24/11 08:57 PM
I have a friend with a couple horses as well. He does
similar things with his. (Sorry the link to the picture
only takes me to a registration site to register for gmail:
no picture.)
Posted By: Candy Re: purple prose - in two languages - 04/25/11 01:10 AM
It did for me too, Luke. This time its not just you having problems.

Temporary error 404, it said!

Posted By: Faldage Re: purple prose - in two languages - 04/25/11 10:33 AM
The normal url for a given xkcd strip is http://xkcd.com/nnn, where nnn is the sequential number of the strip. Note that the link above will not work because it's expecting actual numbers in there. Also note that there will be no leading zeros in strips numbered < 100.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: purple prose - in two languages - 04/25/11 02:54 PM
Wish I was more computer savvy to have an idea as to what
you said. But I know it is important.
© Wordsmith.org