Wordsmith.org
Posted By: java Word Challenge for all of you guys - 04/29/01 01:43 PM
What is the weirdest, most unusual, totally way out there word you have ever seen of heard?

Posted By: wwh Re: Word Challenge for all of you guys - 04/29/01 01:52 PM
Dear java: tsuwm has a site with enough weird words to keep you busy for a week. If you look at his profile, you can find the URL to his site. I have no idea how to pick the weirdest one there.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Word Challenge for all of you guys - 04/29/01 11:27 PM
Welcome aBoard, java; don't think I've had the chance to do that yet.

I am always weirded out by hugger-mugger.

java, 'weird' is relative. Do you mean weird spelling or meaning? There's a hardware shop in these parts with a weird name (in the mystical sense): Obi.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Word Challenge for all of you guys - 04/30/01 03:16 PM
bill, in my judgment the weirdest word there (today) is floccinaucinihilipilification. don't ask me again until tomorrow...

http://members.aol.com/tsuwm/

Posted By: francais31415 Re: Word Challenge for all of you guys - 05/03/01 04:52 PM
I always get a kick out of hearing the word "sinusoidal" (describing graphs, etc.). It's not the weirdest word, but it makes the speaker sound like Bugs Bunny!

Posted By: wwh Re: Word Challenge for all of you guys - 05/03/01 05:05 PM
"but it makes the speakers sound "

Sinusoidal waves make the speakers sound, and so do digitalized signals

Posted By: wow Re: Weird Sounding Word - 05/04/01 04:14 PM
Not very erudite, I fear, and I ask your pardon in advance but I find myself smiling when I hear the word "wriggle."
Nothing says it better when the word is needed especially when someone is trying to "wriggle out" of something!
And babies have wriggling down pat!
squirm and writhe just don't make it as exact synonyms.
Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle. Love it!

Posted By: francais31415 Re: Weird Sounding Word - 05/04/01 07:08 PM
Under the same category - not unheard of but still fun - I would have to add the word "indubitably." It's so fun to say!

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Weird Sounding Word - 05/05/01 05:36 PM
I find myself smiling when I hear the word "wriggle."

You might enjoy the PA Dutch word "schusslich" (pronounced shoosh-lick): it's an adjective used to describe a person who is shifting restlessly in his or her seat. My parents often employed the verb form (schussle), as in "Stop your schussling! Church will be over in 5 minutes!"

Posted By: Geoff Re: Weird Sounding Word - 05/06/01 01:42 PM
Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle. Love it!

Tell me, WOW, are you the type of person who goes into convulsions after poking a lump of Jello and watching it dance?

How about some weird looking words? Xerox comes to mind. And some idiot automobile factories are turning out cars named "Kil" and "Slturn" by replacing an English "a" with a Greek "lambda".

Posted By: wow Re: Weird Sounding Word - 05/06/01 04:03 PM
you the type of person who goes into convulsions after poking a lump of Jello and watching it dance?

Jell-O doesn't wriggle, it jiggles! And I don't convulse -- well maybe just a few lady-like giggles!

Posted By: Geoff Re: Weird Sounding Word - 05/06/01 10:18 PM
Jell-O doesn't wriggle, it jiggles! And I don't convulse -- well maybe just a few lady-like giggles!

No cachinnation? Only titters? Hmmm.... the latter evokes images of a feather-lined brassiere, which gets us back to what jiggles and doesn't wriggle. Oh - I see I've made your point! Ah, well, I'l never see Jello in the same light.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Weird Sounding Word - 05/07/01 07:31 PM
schusslich
This is interesting, Rapunzel. In my PA Dutch family, schuschlig (pronounced shushlee, 'u' pronounced as in 'put') means 'careless', 'sloppy', or 'lazy'. If one of us did a poor job on a chore (gave it a lick and a promise), my mother would say, "Don't be so schuschlig." The word for antsy, or squirming, was rütchig, pronounced with the u-umlaut sound midway between 'rutchie' and 'richie'. There is also a noun rütchig denoting a smoothed area, such as one on ice or snow, for kids to slide on, like you read about Bob Cratchit using in Camden Town on his way home from the office on Christmas Eve. The verb is rutschen, as in, "Don't rutsch about so!"
Posted By: wordcrazy Re: Word Challenge for all of you guys - 05/08/01 03:09 AM
whh
Dear java: tsuwm has a site with enough weird words to keep you busy for a week. If you look at his profile, you can find the URL to his site. I have no idea how to pick the weirdest one there.

That's what I call kindness to strangers.
Thankswhh for taking the time.

chronist
Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Weird Sounding Word - 05/08/01 07:50 PM
Schuschlig and Rutchig

As it turns out, I must have misunderstood the word schuschlig when my parents used it. I just asked my mother, and she concurs with your post. She even mentioned the sled track that you talked about.
We do use the word "rutsch" to mean squirming around in your seat. I guess I got the two confused.

By the way, thanks for saying "this is interesting, Rapunzel" instead of "No, no, NO you've got it all wrong!" or something like that. You're very kind.
Posted By: Faldage Re: I dunno about Weird Sounding, but - 05/09/01 01:07 PM
I just love typing minimum.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: I dunno about Weird Sounding, but - 05/09/01 06:08 PM
typing minimum
I like typing committee; besides being easy, the double letters are interesting. This has to be the only word in English with 3 sets of double letters (if not, I'm sure some of you will say so.) This was also on the famous "50 Most Misspelled Words" list.

Posted By: wwh Re: I dunno about Weird Sounding, but - 05/09/01 06:15 PM
Spell "Mississippi" fast several times.

Posted By: Faldage Re: I dunno about Weird Sounding, but - 05/09/01 06:30 PM
It's the weird sort of symmetry of minimum that excites me.

Posted By: of troy Re: I dunno about Weird Sounding, but - 05/09/01 07:53 PM
i like perennial and parallel for the double letters in the middle-- and parallax-- the last is a favorite word to whip and and impress someone with... the effect can be commonly seen.. and make for an interesting discussion over drinks..even if they are just water or iced tea.

Posted By: francais31415 Re: I dunno about Weird Sounding, but - 05/10/01 01:19 AM
three sets of double letters -

How about bookkeeper?

Posted By: NicholasW Re: I dunno about Weird Sounding, but - 05/10/01 10:45 AM
I'll see your parallax and raise you a parallelepiped, which scores well for spelling, pronunciation, and meaning.

I admit I've never actually seen its adjective parallelepipedal but I offer it from my reserve stock anyway.

Then there's:-

Burkism, Cranioclasm, Gloppen, Gnof, Hagseed, Jackpudding, Kecklish, Malashaganay, Metemptosis, Outpassion, Pectoriloquous, Splanchnotomy, Surquidry, Unseven, Vomiturition

Posted By: Jackie Re: I dunno about Weird Sounding, but - 05/10/01 12:14 PM
I'm sorry, I can't help this:
"parallelepipedal"
Banana-fana-bipedal

Posted By: of troy Re: I dunno about Weird Sounding, but - 05/10/01 12:27 PM
OOO! thank you! I have a use for parallelepipedal I have a a small wooden puzzle that is a striped parallelepipedal knick-knack when assenbled-- and difficult to pick up with out disassembling-- and after guests have tried for 30 minutes or so-- i take it from them, assemble, and put away-- I love 3-D puzzles.

I always just called it a "squished square" shape! (when i really meant cube for square!)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic For what it's worth... - 05/10/01 12:55 PM
paralelipipido is Brazilian Portuguese for 'cobblestone.' It's one of my favorite words (for pronouncing)

As for typing 'minimum' ... my fingers stumble over each other. Strange symmetry indeed, Faldage.

Posted By: Faldage Re: minimum - 05/10/01 01:04 PM
m i n i m u m
d u d u d u d
2 2 1 2 2 1 2

It's a 3 against 2 rhythm. Ya get that in Brasilian music?

Posted By: NicholasW Re: For what it's worth... - 05/10/01 03:11 PM
The OED has quite a few bona fide quotes of parallelepipedal, not to mention parallelepipedous and parallelepipedonal. (Oops, I mentioned them.) (I haven't managed to say any of them yet.)

The word minimum, or ones very like it, is why we have dots over i's. In Gothic script it's a sequence of fifteen effectively identical strokes.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: innumerable weirdness - 05/10/01 03:42 PM
I gotta say, unseven is incalculably eldritch...

To render other than seven; to make to be no longer
seven. [Obs. & R.] ``To unseven the sacraments of the church of Rome.'' --Fuller.
[dictionary.com]

this one's going into the wwftd queue with a bullet

Posted By: Bean Re: For what it's worth... - 05/10/01 04:14 PM
The word minimum, or ones very like it, is why we have dots over i's. In Gothic script it's a sequence of fifteen effectively identical strokes.

In Italian cursive writing, the m's are often written as w's and the n's are often written as u's. (They make the round part into a point.) So you need to have some inkling of the word you're reading. Gets confusing when there are i's and t's nearby, like in my dad's name, Antonio. It looks like Autouio. Weird, eh?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: For what it's worth... - 05/11/01 08:47 AM
Gets confusing when there are i's and t's nearby, like in my dad's name, Antonio. It looks like Autouio. Weird, eh?

Weird? Bean, it's positively gothic!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: minimum - 05/11/01 08:42 PM
Faldage analogizes: It's a 3 against 2 rhythm. Ya get that in Brasilian music?

Sim, but I'd only give it about a 6. You can't dance to it.

Posted By: francais31415 Re: innumerable weirdness - 05/13/01 01:59 AM
tsuwm wrote: this one's going into the wwftd queue with a bullet

sorry...what's wwftd?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: innumerable weirdness - 05/13/01 04:24 AM
sorry...what's wwftd?

Worthless Word For The Day and well worth subscribing to.

Posted By: musick Shall we dance? - 05/13/01 03:30 PM
Sounds like a waltz to me!

Posted By: Faldage Re: minimum - 05/14/01 01:48 PM
The noted Mac flatliner, AnnaS whines: You can't dance to it.

Yeahbut®, kin ya unnerstan the words?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Shall we dance? - 05/14/01 08:19 PM
Musick: Sounds like a waltz to me!

I dunno, for me a waltz has to be 3/4 so's I *can dance to it. Faldage's "minimum" reminds me more of, say, "America" from West Side Story. And my fingers stumble on the syncopation.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: minimum - 05/14/01 08:23 PM
Faldage: Yeahbut, kin ya unnerstan the words?

I *don't whine. I merely harrumph. And yes, I can, with a minimum of effort

Posted By: tsuwm Re: this week in wwftd - 05/14/01 10:55 PM
as promised...

http://members.aol.com/tsuwm/

Posted By: Jackie Re: this week in wwftd - 05/15/01 01:16 AM
GAH!!!!!!! You...you...used THAT NON-word!!! OH!!!
How COULD you! I am NOT, and never will be one of those!

But, outrage aside, I had to laugh at the appropriateness of what happened: I still had my window to the parallel universe open, and wwftd showed up there! Fitting retribution, perhaps...

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: this week in wwftd - 05/15/01 02:00 AM
GAH!!!!!!! You...you...used THAT NON-word!!! OH!!!
How COULD you! I am NOT, and never will be one of those!

Now, what word could possibly be upsetting my all-time favourite ayleur so much? I had no idea that you felt such antipathy toward the notion of being a "contributor," Jackie. I am sure that your fellow ayleurs will rally around to make you feel better, that's what ayleurs do isn't it? Especially for a beloved senior ayleur like, you, Jackie. May I say that you are looking particularly ayleuring today?

Loki Quordlepleen (every Asgård needs one)

Posted By: Jackie Re: this week in wwftd - 05/15/01 10:13 AM
May I say that you are looking particularly ayleuring today?
No, you may NOT, sir!
Max-ie, c'mere a minute, will you? I have something for you...

Hey! (I am now about to reveal one of my peculiar quirks:
odd turns of mind.) It just occurred to me that our title backwards is hab-hoop. Hab hoop, will travel? (Oh, dear, I need more sleep.)

Posted By: Faldage Re: minimum - 05/15/01 11:03 AM
AnnaS *doesn't whine. She merely harrumphs.

Careful there honeypot. Leave off the ® an you like to lose it.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: this week in wwftd - 05/15/01 04:02 PM
this week: words from ayleurs (they're sorta like contributors... :)

I wonder how many people are now going to try to find "ayleurs" in the dictionary! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Tsuwm's mad plot proceeds!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: this week in wwftd - 05/15/01 04:08 PM
tsuwm,

I am happy you included Nicholas's 'unseven.' It's a wonderful word, one which I will await a decade, probably, to drop at a cocktail party. But I am equally distressed at your attribution.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: faux Southern - 05/15/01 04:17 PM
Faldage warns: Careful there honeypot. Leave off the ® an you like to lose it.

a. I figgured if'n I done coined it, it din't need no RinaCircle. My lawyers thank yer lawyers.
2. Unlike members of a certain Latinate-language-speaking community in western Europe across the English Channel from the Southern Motherland, I have no problem with your attempting Southern US'n speech. A for effort (keep it as a past-tense marker).

Posted By: Faldage Re: faux Southern - 05/15/01 04:26 PM
AnnaS ripostes: My lawyers thank yer lawyers.

Yer lawyers thank mah lawyers er whut?

Mah lawyers thank yer lawyers shud oughta advise you better bout what it takes to keep trademark status. Rememmer Aspirin®.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: faux loopholes - 05/15/01 05:28 PM
>...it din't need no RinaCircle.

as you seem to have actually® overlooked the marketing possibilities of the lattermost© word, I have taken the opportunity to have my barristers see to the registering™ of "rinacircle®" (with or w/o caps)

Posted By: Faldage Re: faux loopholes - 05/15/01 05:40 PM
My lawyers will be talking with your lawyers about the premature use of RinaCircle™ with the registered mark (®) appended to it. Meanwhile my lawyers have applied to the Imperial Commission on Weights, Measures and Biological Warfare for registered trademark status on RinaCircle. We will consider selling the rights to AnnaStrophic Enterprises, Pty. and to no others upon granting of registered status.

Faldage of Fong
Chief Operating Officer, Council of Oligarchs
Faldage Works, GmbH, SA.

© Wordsmith.org