Wordsmith.org
Posted By: bexter Hogwash words poll - 01/05/11 06:17 PM
This time, in order to avoid what happened last time, I am giving you all a choice between two words that I think would make good hogwash words...this way it will be a popular choice and should work better. You will have until Friday to vote and then I will announce the winning word as the hogwash word and you can send me all of your daffynitions which make it brilliant laugh
Alright the choice is:
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/06/11 03:06 AM
No need to exclude one or the other, Whichever wins this poll, we simply use the other one later!
Posted By: Candy Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/06/11 05:21 AM
I agree.

Can you have too many Hogwash words crazy
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/06/11 03:58 PM
Not from my point of view....one of the more fun aspects
of the site.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/06/11 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Candy
I agree.

Can you have too many Hogwash words crazy

yes, definitely. one of my 'reference books' is Webster's Dictionary Game (by 'William Webster'), which claims to be "A Dictionary with over 5000 esoteric words."

< opens at random > kensington - U.S. dialect for a potluck dinner(!!) [my Uncle Bob used to say, "there's no such thing as a coincidence."]
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/06/11 05:17 PM
I voted for kibitka - it has an OLI of 9, but I've no clue; scurryfunge, OTOH, has an OLI of 2, but two guesses where they are!

NB: you can safely onelook the latter up, you'll only see the links; if you try that with the former.. no, you better not, unless you have strong will power.
Posted By: bexter Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/06/11 05:25 PM
I am guessing you featured it as a wwftd? and the other is probably some online slang dictionary or a dictionary with a 'this page is pending' note? smile
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/06/11 05:27 PM
since they're your words, you're allowed to LTU! (pretty good guessing, tho')
Posted By: bexter Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/06/11 05:33 PM
Why thank you...ah I see I was close...hmm I would have thought kibitka would have less than scurryfunge *shrugs* ooh now kibitka is winning... (I had to vote in order to see the results so my random vote gets discounted smile )
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/06/11 05:43 PM
if you mean your vote wasn't counted, that's right (my vote tied the score at four(4). (unless you were actually able to edit the count!)
Posted By: bexter Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/06/11 05:55 PM
No I have no such power over the programming...I have to mentally remove my vote frown it has been rather exciting though...kibitka was winning then scurryfunge and now it is kibitka again!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/06/11 06:02 PM
?I *still see the vote tied at 4, same as when I voted 45 min. ago. do you spose I'd have to clear my cache to see it change? (not that I'm about to..)
Posted By: bexter Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/06/11 06:06 PM
No...every time you return to the page it updates...my vote is still there, but as I just clicked on one and I know which one I clicked on (scurryfunge as it was closer to submit) I can remove it when I total it up at the end...even though it says 4 it is in fact 3...I only had to vote because I was unable to see the results of my own poll unless I voted...
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/06/11 06:34 PM
ah. sorry for being slow on the uptake, then.
Posted By: bexter Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/06/11 10:17 PM
I just found another word I was going to put in my hogwash words cache so I LIU and found that your wwftd had featured it...imagine my dissapointment when I realised that pareidolia had already found a home on your site wink

Posted By: Candy Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/07/11 02:55 AM
were is tsuwms site?

and I voted for the one I didn't know already
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hogwash words poll - 01/07/11 03:48 AM
Candy, you can click on my name, and then View Homepage, or you can google 'tsuwm' and take the 'worthless word' link..
Posted By: Candy Re: Hogwash words - 01/07/11 05:05 AM
Ahh, done. And I've stumbled on that page before...when researching about Hogwash words....didn't know it was yours.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hogwash words - 01/07/11 05:19 AM
did you note the 'hogwash words' link over on the left? which serves to remind me, I haven't updated that list for the last few words..
Posted By: Candy Re: Hogwash words - 01/07/11 05:29 AM
Yes....those were the ones I came across, somehow.

And now I see your name at the bottom of the page LOL
Posted By: Candy Re: Hogwash words - 01/07/11 05:32 AM
I am wondering if my word 'Wagiman' will be added as it doesn't seem to fit the criteria?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hogwash words - 01/07/11 05:42 AM
done. bokeh was no. 101 in the continuing series (wagiman included, at least for the nonce..) :-)
Posted By: bexter Re: back to the poll... - 01/07/11 02:06 PM
Now they are tied...hmm this seems to be backfiring on me...what should I do if they remain tied do we think? have a double hogwash word wink?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: back to the poll... - 01/07/11 02:24 PM
5-4 in scurry's favor at the moment.
Posted By: bexter Re: back to the poll... - 01/07/11 02:26 PM
Alas it is not so...I had to vote for scurry in order to see the results (slight flaw there methinks) and so there is one extra vote for scurry that was from me and so should be discounted frown 4 all at the moment
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: back to the poll... - 01/07/11 02:31 PM
ah. but you might as well vote, no?
Posted By: bexter Re: back to the poll... - 01/07/11 02:34 PM
yes but I like both of them...which was the original problem and reason to post a poll :s unfortunately I seem to have reached no conclusion frown
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: back to the poll... - 01/07/11 04:28 PM
Do one for January, and save the next one for February.
Posted By: bexter Re: back to the poll... - 01/07/11 04:32 PM
GENIUS!!!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: back to the poll... - 01/07/11 05:03 PM
Yeah, really MENSA.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: back to the poll... - 01/07/11 05:16 PM
Originally Posted By: bexter
yes but I like both of them...which was the original problem and reason to post a poll :s unfortunately I seem to have reached no conclusion frown

wouldn't it be simpler to just use the OneLook Index? : )
Posted By: bexter Re: back to the poll... - 01/07/11 05:24 PM
No because they both will be hogwash words, I just couldn't decide which one to use and thought people might like to vote on it.
Posted By: bexter Re: back to the poll... - 01/07/11 05:46 PM
Any last votes before polling closes? (on a tie *sigh)
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: back to the poll... - 01/07/11 06:03 PM
I am not sighing. I look forward to both.
© Wordsmith.org