Wordsmith.org
Posted By: bexter new HOGWASH round - 11/25/10 08:36 PM
HOGWASH word YEGG

I found this word and thought it would be a good hogwash word so I'm starting a new round with the word...

YEGG

The participants in this game are to suggest a meaning for this word, a spurious definition (known as 'daffynitions') and submit them (by private message ) to me, bexter.

You have a se'nnight to send your ideas in and then your genius daffynitions will be posted and voting will begin. (I may be persuaded to extend this period if necessary).

I'm looking for the most imaginative meaning, not necessary the real meaning, as it will be revealed at the end of the game
because, you all know...no cheating. Do not use a dictionary or google the word.

This is my first hogwash round so have fun everyone.

(apologies if it goes bottoms up at any time!)
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/25/10 10:58 PM

Should be fun. I have my daffynition already, and will
send it soon. Thanks for starting a new one. A fun
part of this site for sure.
Posted By: Faldage Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/25/10 11:21 PM
Chalk me up as one who knows this word. I don't think I'm the only one but if I am I can play along and vote for the best daffynition.
Posted By: Candy Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/25/10 11:29 PM
thanks bexter....it was my first time last round and I have been waiting anxiously for next word, so I could play.
Posted By: Candy Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/28/10 01:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Chalk me up as one who knows this word. I don't think I'm the only one but if I am I can play along and vote for the best daffynition.

so are you're saying.....that you cant make up something else because you know its wrong!!!!
Posted By: Faldage Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/28/10 04:45 AM
No. I'm saying that I know the word and I would think that many others would, too, so it's probably not a good Hogwash word. I could make up a def and vote on one I know is wrong just because I think it's a good daffynition. But then I might vote for the right definition with a prior agreement with bexter that my vote didn't count. Just so you don't eliminate any choice just because I voted for it.
Posted By: Candy Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/29/10 10:52 AM
Is that like playing 'The Kansas City Shuffle' Faldage!
Posted By: Faldage Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/29/10 11:56 AM
I don't have any recordings of that number, Candy, so I wouldn't know.
Posted By: Candy Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/29/10 12:23 PM
as in the song by J.Ralph - Kansas City Shuffle
and the movie with Bruce Willis, Lucky Number Slevin'

using misdirection, subterfuge.

"A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks left, you go right."

You Tube
Posted By: BranShea Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 03:45 PM
I don't know the word. I will give it a try if you get enough
clients for this word. Would be nice to know a bit about this. It's a busy time of the year.
Posted By: bexter Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 08:10 PM
Feel free to send me one. smile
I don't have very many so far and am hoping for more...it was a choice between yegg and kibitka and I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that yegg was the more unusual of the two...
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 08:31 PM
Hmmmmm....kibitka.....a small Bulgarian dinner roll???
Posted By: bexter Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 09:20 PM
Ah now that would be telling :p ...I think I'll keep it for another round (as the current one isn't going so well maybe kibitka will make a better word? Don't suppose I could change it now...)
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 09:33 PM
As Bran indicated, it is a busy time of the year.
Just give it time, and keep reminding people.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 09:33 PM
yegg was a wwftd pre-2002, and also gets a OneLook score of 17 - I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
Posted By: bexter Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 09:36 PM
So you already know...you could always add a daffynition? Or i could change it to kibitka which no-one seems to know...I seem to have made a bad decision there!

ps is 17 a good score?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 09:43 PM
Hey, Yegg is a good word. Weird but good, and many of us
were not here in 2002, probably the majority.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 09:54 PM
back in the day when I regularly posted hogwash words, I wouldn't use anything with a OL score more than two(2), and I strove for zero! but that was me searching for really, really obscure words, which I also used for my wwftd site.
YMMV.
Posted By: bexter Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 09:56 PM
Being new to OL scores, what are they and who decides them?
Posted By: bexter Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 09:59 PM
Also if words have scores what score does philiater have? Just out of interest...
Posted By: tsuwm Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 10:03 PM
it's just the number of online dictionary hits you get when you plug a word into the OneLook.com search tool. for an instance, searching for 'set', one of the more common English words, "We found 106 dictionaries with English definitions that include the word set". some folks here also referred to the more restrictive general dictionary score, "General (35 matching dictionaries)"

re: philiater - YCLIU at onelook.com
Posted By: bexter Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 10:10 PM
It's 3 so that's all right then...
ps is YCLIU an acronym for you can look it up? not so good with acronyms longer than three letters
Posted By: tsuwm Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 10:26 PM
YCLIU - I prefer the snootier "You Could Look It Up". grin
Posted By: bexter Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 10:28 PM
True, and it sounds better, I prefer EHOAD myself

ps on further inspection philiater has a score of 2 - it's not on dictionary.com
Posted By: tsuwm Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 10:39 PM
just a note I'd add for anyone who might be unfortunate enough to get hooked by an interest in obscure words. the usefulness of onelook as a tool for analyzing the obscurity of words has been somewhat degraded by the rank amateurs now to be found online; see wiktionary, Wordnik, UD, etc. edit: and the tactics of Dictionary.com and others.
Posted By: bexter Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 10:44 PM
In which case, if you are ignoring wordnik, then it is 1. Plus I'm not hooked to obscure words, I just read a bit of my (rather large and unwieldy) dictionary every day :p
Also they must have found the entries somewhere and spent a lot of time typing up all of their entries no? The open dictionary allows one to add words (as does wiktionary I believe) but that is still a fairly reputable source...

the tactics of Dictionary.com and others what are these tactics of which you speak?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 11:14 PM
Wordnik has some very good people behind it; their problem is that their wordlist is way ahead of the content; i.e., definitions and examples.

wiktionary is limited by the wiki construct.

Urban Dictionary is bleah and ecch.

>the tactics of Dictionary.com and others what are these tactics of which you speak?

your example is not atypical; they have many words listed which refer elsewhere or have no content at all; in other words, it seems as though having a word listed is more important than defining it! perhaps they're all just placeholders, but.
Posted By: Faldage Re: new HOGWASH round - 11/30/10 11:53 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
YCLIU - I prefer the snootier "You Could Look It Up". grin

"You Could Look It Up" is a quote from Casey Stengel, IIRC.
Posted By: Jackie Re: new HOGWASH round - 12/01/10 03:39 AM
He was a baseball player, right?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: new HOGWASH round - 12/01/10 04:19 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Stengel
Posted By: Faldage Re: new HOGWASH round - 12/01/10 12:14 PM

Per which we see it cited as You can look it up.
Posted By: BranShea Re: new HOGWASH round - 12/02/10 12:12 AM
This is all very interesting but in the meantime....
Yegg. Done!
Posted By: Candy Re: new HOGWASH round - 12/02/10 12:44 AM
yegg was a wwftd pre-2002, and also gets a OneLook score of 17 - I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Did you check out my word..wagiman, then....what score did it get?
Posted By: Candy Re: new HOGWASH round - 12/02/10 12:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
He was a baseball player, right?

I just looked him up.....and my initials are KC or the other way round....so I could've used CASEY as a 'handle' (I'll keep that in mind for another time......guess its too late to change names here now! )
Posted By: Candy Re: new HOGWASH round - 12/02/10 12:51 AM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
This is all very interesting but in the meantime....
Yegg. Done!

yegg done then, Bran! Me too grin
Posted By: tsuwm Re: new HOGWASH round - 12/02/10 05:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Candy

Did you check out my word..wagiman, then....what score did it get?

< ahem > YCLIU
Posted By: tsuwm Re: new HOGWASH round - 12/02/10 05:32 AM
okay, okay - I LIU (because this sort of thing interests me) and wagiman has a OI of one(1!); it's actually only to be found in wikipedia, which explains that it's "a near-extinct indigenous Australian language spoken by fewer than 10 people."

not the sort of thing that you'd find in an actual dictionary..

(yes, I checked OED and W3. nope.)

p.s. - it's nearly impossible to find a good obscure word with an OI of nil these days. blame the aforementioned amateur lexicologists (and me ; )
Posted By: Candy Re: new HOGWASH round - 12/02/10 07:18 AM
oh...OK, thanks.
Posted By: bexter Re: new HOGWASH round - 12/02/10 01:05 PM
Quote:
blame the aforementioned amateur lexicologists (and me ; )

tsuwm are you referring to yourself as an amateur lexicologist or are you distancing yourself from them as you are a 'professional, expert lexicologist'?

ps where do you find your words if not in a dictionary of some sort?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: new HOGWASH round - 12/02/10 03:39 PM
>where do you find your words if not in a dictionary of some sort?

browsing the dictionary(s) now comes last amongst my various sources, which include my own reading/suggestions from subscribers/word books/online word lists/Wordnik (just kidding)

if you mean how do I look them up, I use one of the dictionaries I have access to, online or brick & mortar. d'oh.

come to think of it, my b&m dictionaries are getting quite dusty, as most everything I use is available online, including OED (through online library access) and W3 (available by subscription).

edit: I'm as amateur as they come, albeit my list is indexed by OneLook. (and there are still a few words for which wwftd is the only hit. some years ago the webmaster at OL sent me word lists compiled from their misses, and I used that as a source for words!)
Posted By: beck123 Re: new HOGWASH round - 12/03/10 02:59 AM
I would have guessed "wagiman" to be another cute little Soni invention - some sort of electronic house pet.
© Wordsmith.org